R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-20-2022, 09:32 PM   #1
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997.1

M3 seats

Does anyone have a solution to help w the seats on track days? I found that it seems the seats in my CS were a real limiting factor in my last track day, I felt I was sliding all over the place. Was curious if anyone else has that issue or even better a solution without going full race buckets?

I felt the car had more than I was able to get out of it, I’m not fast but felt I had more in the car if I wasn’t sliding around, for reference I was running about 2:45 to 2:50’s at Monticello recently. But felt I could have been more consistent in the low 2:40’s if I was more confident and held in place
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 09:40 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc911 View Post
Does anyone have a solution to help w the seats on track days? I found that it seems the seats in my CS were a real limiting factor in my last track day, I felt I was sliding all over the place. Was curious if anyone else has that issue or even better a solution without going full race buckets?

I felt the car had more than I was able to get out of it, I’m not fast but felt I had more in the car if I wasn’t sliding around, for reference I was running about 2:45 to 2:50’s at Monticello recently. But felt I could have been more consistent in the low 2:40’s if I was more confident and held in place
A good solution is running cobra nogaro seats and scroth quick fit pros. They are a street friendly seat, like what the gts comes with in europe. They are also approved to run a 4 point scroth harness that is super quick to install and Uninstall.
A forum member here runs that setup. Still ok for a daily driver and a huge step up for track driving.

My CS had less than 700 miles on it when we did seats and the bk harness bar. You can't progress when you're holding on for dear life
Appreciate 1
Montaver2276.50
      09-20-2022, 09:45 PM   #3
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997.1

I’m not sure if it’s the seat design, i think it’s more that’s its full leather I think of there were alcantara centers or something it might work, can’t argue that full buckets would work but my CS is my family car I usually track my 997

Do the scroth quick fit pros work w the stock seats? I know it would be ideal at all but was thinking it might be a decent compromise for 2-3 track days in the CS a year next season
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 10:19 PM   #4
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Before you buy anything-

1. move your seat back a couple inches.
2. give the belt a quick jerk to lock it.
3. slide the seat forward to compress yourself in the belts at your normal driving position

That can go a long ways to keeping you in place with stock hardware.
Appreciate 8
      09-20-2022, 11:04 PM   #5
pilotedecourse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Do the scroth quick fit pros work w the stock seats? I know it would be ideal at all but was thinking it might be a decent compromise for 2-3 track days in the CS a year next season
Some will say yes (see https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1232546), but Schroth does not make the quick fit for the F80 model specifically for a reason (i.e., the seat design lacking a shoulder pass through or 2 piece seatback/headrest construction) and it may not pass tech for some organizations. Whether or not you want to make it "work" for you is up to your own risk tolerance but I think you'll have a hard time finding someone qualified who will say that it is unequivocally safe. Post #22 in that thread from YMB_M3 does it for me: "I just called Schroth Racing and asked about the 4 point harness for our cars and they said they don't make one for the F80 M3. Also, when I asked him if we could use the E90 kit he said that would by "wildly unsafe." Just some food for thought"

If the seat material bothers you but you want to stay close to OEM, you can look for a pair of the BMW OEM seats with the cloth finish to swap out. With the cloth and the seatbelt trick that theruleslawyer references above, I don't find that I slide around an unacceptable amount at the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 11:33 PM   #6
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotedecourse View Post
Some will say yes (see https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1232546), but Schroth does not make the quick fit for the F80 model specifically for a reason (i.e., the seat design lacking a shoulder pass through or 2 piece seatback/headrest construction) and it may not pass tech for some organizations. Whether or not you want to make it "work" for you is up to your own risk tolerance but I think you'll have a hard time finding someone qualified who will say that it is unequivocally safe. Post #22 in that thread from YMB_M3 does it for me: "I just called Schroth Racing and asked about the 4 point harness for our cars and they said they don't make one for the F80 M3. Also, when I asked him if we could use the E90 kit he said that would by "wildly unsafe." Just some food for thought"

If the seat material bothers you but you want to stay close to OEM, you can look for a pair of the BMW OEM seats with the cloth finish to swap out. With the cloth and the seatbelt trick that theruleslawyer references above, I don't find that I slide around an unacceptable amount at the track.
If we're talking sketchy half measures there is also the g-force torso strap
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g...aSkaAlyp8P8HAQ
Its really an autocross thing, but it seems like it would just break open in any real collision allowing the seat belt to do its thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
A good solution is running cobra nogaro seats and scroth quick fit pros. They are a street friendly seat, like what the gts comes with in europe. They are also approved to run a 4 point scroth harness that is super quick to install and Uninstall.
A forum member here runs that setup. Still ok for a daily driver and a huge step up for track driving.

My CS had less than 700 miles on it when we did seats and the bk harness bar. You can't progress when you're holding on for dear life

So I will still be driving the F80 to the track but it is mostly dedicated for track driving now.

I'm also in the market for seats, harness bar / half cage / etc.

Overall the setup I'm imagining is an RSR bolt in half cage, halo seat, 6 point harness. But I think I can be talked into other options.

Some questions-

1. Thoughts on running a halo seat while driving to and from the track? I realize the visibility is a little less, but seems manageable.

2. Do you recommend just leaving all airbags be? Or do you do anything with them when running seat+harness bar (disabling them when on track for example).

3. So I'll be using my 3 point harness when driving to the track, right? Will I be able to have the 3 point installed at the same time as the 6 point? Or maybe that is why you suggest the scroth quick fits, because that would be impractical to try to deal with 6 points while driving to the track?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotedecourse View Post

Quote:
I’m not sure if it’s the seat design, i think it’s more that’s its full leather I think of there were alcantara centers or something it might work, can’t argue that full buckets would work but my CS is my family car I usually track my 997

The people who use Quick Fits on stock F8X seats don't use the E90 one, that would be nuts when you compare the routing differences.
The ones they use is a mini cooper harness that is designed for the type of seat the F8X has.
Note I still don't recommend it, but people are running this. If you have an instructor it won't fly, but without an instructor I can imagine someone can get away with it

Also, don't group 'buckets' into a single group as if they are all the same. 'Bucket seats' range from seats that could be stock in an M3 like the Pole Positions to containment seats you see in IMSA. That is a massively wide range.

It is perfectly doable to install a moderate bucket seat like the Cobra Nogaro on your DD and then run a 4 point Scroth belt setup which is officially accepted, and which can be removed in 30 seconds.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      09-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
So I will still be driving the F80 to the track but it is mostly dedicated for track driving now.

Overall the setup I'm imagining is an RSR bolt in half cage, halo seat, 6 point harness. But I think I can be talked into other options.

Some questions-

1. Thoughts on running a halo seat while driving to and from the track? I realize the visibility is a little less, but seems manageable.

2. Do you recommend just leaving all airbags be? Or do you do anything with them when running seat+harness bar (disabling them when on track for example).

3. So I'll be using my 3 point harness when driving to the track, right? Will I be able to have the 3 point installed at the same time as the 6 point? Or maybe that is why you suggest the scroth quick fits, because that would be impractical to try to deal with 6 points while driving to the track?
I've been running a halo seat on the street for years now, as I drive ~10k miles/year to/from the track. Halo seats, like race seats, go from a tiny 'halo' to massive containment seats.
Originally we bought the Sparco Ergo with removable halos, then after a few years we noticed we were not removing them anymore and swapped to the OMP HRT-400 with built in halos.

I struggle to see a disadvantage to airbags other than their weight. I am definitely not disabling them.

If you choose the right setup -BK, full stop- then you'll retain 3 point and 6 point functionality. 6 points cannot be used on the street, or without a neck restraint for that matter. It has little to do with practicality and much to do with having your head separated from your body in an accident.

I took a photo of the padding in the roll bar/harness bar in the GTS for you to get an idea of what you should replicate if you are going in this direction
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #10
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Here is the answer. Unfortunately, I don't see it for sale anymore. Might be able to search around for one somewhere and find one second hand.

https://store.racerdirect.net/cg-loc...-seatbelt.html

I was lucky enough to have a friend give me one, who went to a full harness. It has been life-changing for the stock seats. I don't even think about needing buckets/harness anymore, although I know it would certainly be better. It gets me 70% of the way there.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #11
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Some questions-

I've been running a halo seat on the street for years now, as I drive ~10k miles/year to/from the track. Halo seats, like race seats, go from a tiny 'halo' to massive containment seats.
Originally we bought the Sparco Ergo with removable halos, then after a few years we noticed we were not removing them anymore and swapped to the OMP HRT-400 with built in halos.

I struggle to see a disadvantage to airbags other than their weight. I am definitely not disabling them.

If you choose the right setup -BK, full stop- then you'll retain 3 point and 6 point functionality. 6 points cannot be used on the street, or without a neck restraint for that matter. It has little to do with practicality and much to do with having your head separated from your body in an accident.

I took a photo of the padding in the roll bar/harness bar in the GTS for you to get an idea of what you should replicate if you are going in this direction
Look forward to seeing that photo…

Seems like you need to code out seatbelt chime if wearing the 6 point?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Look forward to seeing that photo…

Seems like you need to code out seatbelt chime if wearing the 6 point?
yes you'll need to code a few things out

Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #13
markw10702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTMore Anyone?

A proper race seat makes all the difference on the track. I dropped over a second in lap time just from replacing the stock seat with a race seat and 4-point harness. I could finally feel how the chassis was working and was able to drive harder through the corners but still in control. I could actually relax in the corners rather than gripping the wheel for dear life.

I installed a OMP HTE-R XL.

For tracking purposes probably the single best modification I made to my car.
Appreciate 5
Montaver2276.50
SYT_Shadow11517.00
DRLane3999.00
phefner374.00
sly1types431.50
      09-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #14
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

We are local (UES). Pm me and I'd be happy to show you my Cobra nogaro + 4 point schroth QFP harness. These made a world of difference for me on the track plus the side bolster design doesn't compromise the 3 point belt functionality on the street. I periodically street drive the car on weekends with kids in back (f80) so I wasn't ready to install the jungle gym bars or sacrifice use of the 3 points by getting a very agro bucket.

The tensioner hack is a great but this setup holds me a little better and the minimal seat cushioning allows my butt to talk to the car with less interference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11517.00
sly1types431.50
      09-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
We are local (UES). Pm me and I'd be happy to show you my Cobra nogaro + 4 point schroth QFP harness. These made a world of difference for me on the track plus the side bolster design doesn't compromise the 3 point belt functionality on the street. I periodically street drive the car on weekends with kids in back (f80) so I wasn't ready to install the jungle gym bars or sacrifice use of the 3 points by getting a very agro bucket.

They tensioner hack is a great but this setup holds me a little better and the minimumal seat cushioning allows my butt to talk to the car with less interference.
This setup is the gold standard for daily driven M3s that want to be track ready.

Legal for all organizations, comfortable enough for significant others, looks great, huge difference in body control and safety by allowing a neck restraint
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2022, 12:14 AM   #16
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:

The tensioner hack is a great but this setup holds me a little better and the minimal seat cushioning allows my butt to talk to the car with less interference.
I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a set of nogaro’s. What seat mounts did you use? And how did you code out the airbag light?
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      09-23-2022, 06:12 AM   #17
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ben View Post
I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a set of nogaro’s. What seat mounts did you use? And how did you code out the airbag light?

Fun. I'm using Bray Krause side mounts + OEM manual sliders which I harvested from the seats of an old 3 series that was at a local junk yard....Some forum members reported slop when using aftermarket sliders.

The airbags need to be coded. Mine were done remotely.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:22 PM   #18
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:

Wow, great setup, anymore pics? did you keep the stock power slider?
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #19
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Wow, great setup, anymore pics? did you keep the stock power slider?
I kept the power sliders attached to my OE seats which will make it easy to swap back when I trade-in for a Porsche. GASP (joking).

Some people have reused the electric motors with the Cobra seats to maintain fore/aft control. That's clever but for track use I prefer the speed of the manual slider. I'm in/out of the seat a hundred times on a track day and a motorized control would be too slow to keep up. I do miss the seat heaters but I think you can rig something up.

I'll share some more pictures next time I with the car. Might not be until next week.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      09-29-2022, 01:59 PM   #20
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

K. I'm sold on the BK harness bar. Is it correct that both the harness bar, AND the racing seats are all supposed to use factory rails?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 02:27 PM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
K. I'm sold on the BK harness bar. Is it correct that both the harness bar, AND the racing seats are all supposed to use factory rails?
The bk bar connects to stock seatbelt points, no modifications needed

The oem rails and bk seat mount setup also connects straight to the car, so no modifications needed there either
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 07:24 PM   #22
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

Quote:

I kept the power sliders attached to my OE seats which will make it easy to swap back when I trade-in for a Porsche. GASP (joking).
You have seen the new M2 right? 😂
Appreciate 0