BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-10-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
jrizzle
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M (F85)

Wheel/Tire combination questions

I apologize if this has been covered before... seeking answers to questions regarding wheel/tire combinations for my 2018 X5M

Currently on the oem 21'' wheels which are 21X10 et40 and 21x11.5 et38
running super sports 285/35 and 315/30. This is OEM spec so no issues. The car came with Yokohama blue earth winters 285/35 21 that were ounce mounted to the OEM Wheel and there is still decent tread left... can I mount these size tires to my OEM Wheels? Tire rack said the size was not right for my rear wheels and were for a max of 11'' wide wheels...

second question... Once winter is over I want to find a replacement tire for my OEM wheels as super sports are shot. I want to run an all season tire. Can I run a 285/40 pilot sport all seasons 4 on my oem wheels??

Judging from tire rack it looks like options are limited. I would prefer not to run a summer tire and go the AS route eventually. Must I run a 2 wheel set up? What are the combos you all are running in climates that get a winter ( Im in the NE USA). I am trying to avoid buying as second set of wheels for now as I don't want to store a second set of wheels and I am not sure if I will keep the car long term

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by jrizzle; 10-10-2022 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Feedback FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrizzle View Post
I apologize if this has been covered before... seeking answers to questions regarding wheel/tire combinations for my 2018 X5M

Currently on the oem 21'' wheels which are 21X10 et40 and 21x11.5 et38
running super sports 285/35 and 315/30. This is OEM spec so no issues. The car came with Yokohama blue earth winters 285/35 21 that were ounce mounted to the OEM Wheel and there is still decent tread left... can I mount these size tires to my OEM Wheels? Tire rack said the size was not right for my rear wheels and were for a max of 11'' wide wheels...

second question... Once winter is over I want to find a replacement tire for my OEM wheels as super sports are shot. I want to run an all season tire. Can I run a 285/40 pilot sport all seasons 4 on my oem wheels??

Judging from tire rack it looks like options are limited. I would prefer not to run a summer tire and go the AS route eventually. Must I run a 2 wheel set up? What are the combos you all are running in climates that get a winter ( Im in the NE USA). I am trying to avoid buying as second set of wheels for now as I don't want to store a second set of wheels and I am not sure if I will keep the car long term

Thanks for any info!
My thoughts:
- I haven't seen the MPSS in a 315 width. But if they make it, and it's been paired with the 285 front on 21" wheels, it's news to me.
- Regarding your questions about winters and AS, no way would I mount a 285 on the rear wheel. A) It doesn't fit (per Tire Rack and Michelin if you look it up), and B) the rolling radius of the stretched tire will be different than the front. (Maybe not too much for the TC to handle, but the wheel will be almost on the ground and it's a goofy ass look anyway.)
- No idea on the AS tires. But if you do it, get a proper set of staggered tires that fit well and will be good to your TC.
- I run MPSS on custom summer wheels and Pirelli Scorpion I&S on OEM wheels for winter. That's the setup I recommend, or the Yokohama BE you already have but in the proper staggered sizes.
- If you are an "assertive" driver and want the best handling in dry, wet, and snow, you are going to seriously notice a narrower (285) rear tire on this vehicle. If you are a "chill" driver and don't care about handling, you might be just fine. In the latter case, you can just get a square setup, some people on here like their 295s all around.

Good luck figuring it out!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:48 PM   #3
jrizzle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
My thoughts:
- I haven't seen the MPSS in a 315 width. But if they make it, and it's been paired with the 285 front on 21" wheels, it's news to me.
- Regarding your questions about winters and AS, no way would I mount a 285 on the rear wheel. A) It doesn't fit (per Tire Rack and Michelin if you look it up), and B) the rolling radius of the stretched tire will be different than the front. (Maybe not too much for the TC to handle, but the wheel will be almost on the ground and it's a goofy ass look anyway.)
- No idea on the AS tires. But if you do it, get a proper set of staggered tires that fit well and will be good to your TC.
- I run MPSS on custom summer wheels and Pirelli Scorpion I&S on OEM wheels for winter. That's the setup I recommend, or the Yokohama BE you already have but in the proper staggered sizes.
- If you are an "assertive" driver and want the best handling in dry, wet, and snow, you are going to seriously notice a narrower (285) rear tire on this vehicle. If you are a "chill" driver and don't care about handling, you might be just fine. In the latter case, you can just get a square setup, some people on here like their 295s all around.

Good luck figuring it out!
thanks for the response.
-I made a typo I meant 325 rear for MPSS
Thanks for your info... Looks like those 285s all around are a no go. I am in the process of trying to buy a used set of the winter 611M set off a forum member so I will have the oem fitment for winter this season.
- What would be the proper blue earth staggered size for the 21'' wheels be out of curiosity... the same sizes are the summer wheels?
-regarding the square 295 people run what aspect ratio? 295/35? 295/40? and they run that on the 21'' wheel?
- Ideally it seems I can run the 611M for this winter but what option do I have for the 21'' wheels besides MPSS? I would like a tire with more sidewall and that isn't a high performance summer tire if any. The roads around me suck and a little more sidewall would be nice and a high performance AS tire would be ideal... hopefully they make it in a 295 set up that you mentioned...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 09:08 PM   #4
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

If you are not stretching, its easy to calculate the rolling diameter. For the TC, the diameter difference between front to rear ideally has to be under 1%

Go here and punch in the tire size. It will tell you the difference.
https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 09:24 PM   #5
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Square

Quote:
thanks for the response.
-I made a typo I meant 325 rear for MPSS
Thanks for your info... Looks like those 285s all around are a no go. I am in the process of trying to buy a used set of the winter 611M set off a forum member so I will have the oem fitment for winter this season.
- What would be the proper blue earth staggered size for the 21'' wheels be out of curiosity... the same sizes are the summer wheels?
-regarding the square 295 people run what aspect ratio? 295/35? 295/40? and they run that on the 21'' wheel?
- Ideally it seems I can run the 611M for this winter but what option do I have for the 21'' wheels besides MPSS? I would like a tire with more sidewall and that isn't a high performance summer tire if any. The roads around me suck and a little more sidewall would be nice and a high performance AS tire would be ideal... hopefully they make it in a 295 set up that you mentioned...
Okay on the 325, makes sense. Just making sure because someone on FB told me that they bought an F85 from a dealer with the same setup and I was like okay...

Yes, winter same sizes as summer. (Unless you want to run the entire set narrower, up to you. But I run OEM sizes.) Get them quick if you're running snows this year! I have the Pirellis and they're run-flats whereas my summer MPSSs are not. They bang around more, but they're much safer on the cold roads we have in the northeast. I highly recommend swapping out for a proper winter set - every year - and avoiding AS tires or the square setup. But that's because I want all the performance I can get out of my vehicle. Sounds like you may have other goals, so whatever works for you.

However, if you want a square setup, I recommend using a true square setup with all four tires AND wheels being the same size. Some people on here swear by them, The options would be to make them uniform, but the rear will look goofy and out of place. Or stagger them using a more aggressive offset on the rear so they fill the wheel wells. I still think that's a little goofy, but better than full square. That way you can rotate tires, just not the wheels.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Blue By You; 10-11-2022 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 09:42 PM   #6
jrizzle
Rep

Quote:
Okay on the 325, makes sense. Just making sure because someone on FB told me that they bought an F85 from a dealer with the same setup and I was like okay...

Yes, winter same sizes as summer. Get them quick if you're running snows this year! I have the Pirellis and they're run-flats whereas my summer MPSSs are not. They bang around more, but they're much safer on the cold roads we have in the northeast. I highly recommend swapping out for a proper winter set - every year - and avoiding AS tires or the square setup. But that's because I want all the performance I can get out of my vehicle. Sounds like you may have other goals.

However, if you want a square setup, I recommend using a true square setup with all four tires AND wheels being the same size. Some people on here swear by them, The options would be to make them uniform, but the rear will look goofy and out of place. Or stagger them using a more aggressive offset on the rear so they fill the wheel wells. I still think that's a little goofy, but better than full square. That way you can rotate tires, just not the wheels.

Hope that makes sense.
thanks for the response. I am hoping to pick up a used OEM 20'' 611M to use this winter with the Pirelli winters. I ran those tires on my Macan turbo I had before and I liked them. If I can't get the set I will have to run the 285/35 blue earth on my 21 despite the wonky fitment until I can find a better solution.

For summer it looks like I will either need to go MPSS again on my 21'' but man those low aspect ratio wheels make the ride harsh but more than that I'm worried about blowing a tire with some of those potholes hence my desire to go square with a chunkier tire but it looks like as you said the best way to do that is also get a square wheel set up too.
Any idea what square set up are people running? any wheel tire specs?
I see your point regarding how it won't look right without having a wider tire in the rear but I dont really care about the look that much am I'm not tracking the car (have other cars for that) so I don't care about all out performance. I just would like a chunkier AS tire to run as I don't need a MPSS on my daily but its looking like that may be the only option
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Squared

Quote:
thanks for the response. I am hoping to pick up a used OEM 20'' 611M to use this winter with the Pirelli winters. I ran those tires on my Macan turbo I had before and I liked them. If I can't get the set I will have to run the 285/35 blue earth on my 21 despite the wonky fitment until I can find a better solution.

For summer it looks like I will either need to go MPSS again on my 21'' but man those low aspect ratio wheels make the ride harsh but more than that I'm worried about blowing a tire with some of those potholes hence my desire to go square with a chunkier tire but it looks like as you said the best way to do that is also get a square wheel set up too.
Any idea what square set up are people running? any wheel tire specs?
I see your point regarding how it won't look right without having a wider tire in the rear but I dont really care about the look that much am I'm not tracking the car (have other cars for that) so I don't care about all out performance. I just would like a chunkier AS tire to run as I don't need a MPSS on my daily but its looking like that may be the only option
I'm not sure, but you can search for "square" on here and I'm sure you'll find some guys running them.

I'm in the northeast too. Thankfully I haven't blown a tire or damaged a wheel running through Somerville and surrounding areas 2-3 days per week. The OEM wheels and tires are stronger than you might think. (But I've also always got the radar on for potholes, ridges, bumps, etc. It's a PITA but so worth it when you can open her up!)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #8
jrizzle
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure, but you can search for "square" on here and I'm sure you'll find some guys running them.

I'm in the northeast too. Thankfully I haven't blown a tire or damaged a wheel running through Somerville and surrounding areas 2-3 days per week. The OEM wheels and tires are stronger than you might think. (But I've also always got the radar on for potholes, ridges, bumps, etc. It's a PITA but so worth it when you can open her up!)
No doubt. I've devised a plan. going to run 611M 20'' winter set with 285/40 all around. Once those are shot throw on 275/40 315/35 all seasons on the 20" and then throw on 275/40 315/35 winters on the 21'' next winter
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 09:13 PM   #9
X6_406
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M

I read somewhere there’s a different wheel sizing for winter: 10x20 front and 10.5x20 rear. ‘Square’ fitment of 285\40R20, and was able to find an OEM wheel set in this size. I was getting a tire fixed and was talking to their tech and he recommended to go with a more narrow tire, 275\40R20 for the winter. The 275\40 will fit on a 10.5” wide wheel. I don’t want to lose ground clearance, so I looked at the 275\45R20 and it’s 2.4% bigger overall, which isn’t terribly oversized. Is this similar to what others are running for winter?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:28 AM   #10
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Guys, if you're in the snow a lot get a narrower winter setup. If you're not in the snow a lot, your 5,300lb vehicle will need as much rubber as possible to handle well in regular cold (dry and wet) conditions. IMO get the widest winter tire setup you can, unless you are driving in a ton of snow, because most of your winter driving will be in dry followed by wet. (Most of us need snow tires to get THROUGH a snow storm if/when it occurs and we need to be driving, not that we're actually driving IN snow all that much.)

Last edited by Blue By You; 10-23-2022 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #11
jrizzle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6_406 View Post
I read somewhere there’s a different wheel sizing for winter: 10x20 front and 10.5x20 rear. ‘Square’ fitment of 285\40R20, and was able to find an OEM wheel set in this size. I was getting a tire fixed and was talking to their tech and he recommended to go with a more narrow tire, 275\40R20 for the winter. The 275\40 will fit on a 10.5” wide wheel. I don’t want to lose ground clearance, so I looked at the 275\45R20 and it’s 2.4% bigger overall, which isn’t terribly oversized. Is this similar to what others are running for winter?
can you run a 275/45?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #12
X6_406
Rep

Quote:
can you run a 275/45?
I don’t see why not. The guy at the shop said he’d put them on. They’ll fit in the wheels and easily in the wheel wells.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:21 PM   #13
X6_406
Rep

Quote:
Guys, if you're in the snow a lot get a narrower winter setup. If you're not in the snow a lot, your 5,300lb vehicle will need as much rubber as possible to handle well in regular cold (dry and wet) conditions. IMO get the widest winter tire setup you can, unless you are driving in a ton of snow, because most of your winter driving will be in dry followed by wet. (Most of us need snow tires to get THROUGH a snow storm if/when it occurs and we need to be driving, not that we're actually driving IN snow all that much.)
If your summer or all season tires won’t cut it for winter, I’d recommend a more narrow tire in all low-traction situations. The 285\40 is BMW’s recommendation for winter for front and rear. A narrower tire gives you more traction per square inch. A wider tire will break traction more easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:42 PM   #14
jrizzle
Rep

interesting regarding the 275/45 combination. More sidewall would probably result in a nicer ride. I'm currently running MPSS on the 21'' OEM wheels and up here in "New England" I'm going to clearly need a different set up. Ideally I wanted a used set of 611M with some winter tire tread to run this winter and then put on an all season tire in 275/40 315/35. The other narrower square sizes mentioned above would have offered more options at lower cost but I imagine really affected handling.
However, it's looking like I need to buy a set brand new so I'll be running the 285/40 scorpions this winter
In summer I will have to mount a new set of tires I will go 275/40 315/35 rather than the wider tires with smaller aspect ratio. I'm hoping slightly more sidewall will make the ride a bit less harsh. I wish they made a high performance all season for the 21'' oem wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 05:36 PM   #15
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Also

Quote:
If your summer or all season tires won’t cut it for winter, I’d recommend a more narrow tire in all low-traction situations. The 285\40 is BMW’s recommendation for winter for front and rear. A narrower tire gives you more traction per square inch. A wider tire will break traction more easily.
The other thing is, narrower rear tires do not carry the weight transfer of this beast very well. The taller and narrower you go, the more roll you'll experience in turns and such. Been there and done it. If you drive chill, you'll be fine. If you want your M to feel like it should and you drive assertively at all, be careful choosing a narrow setup just because it handles better 5% of the time (in snow).

(I'm also in the northeast and snowstorms don't last too long here before the roads are back to salty wet messes, when I want all the tire I can get.)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 08:05 AM   #16
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
I wish they made a high performance all season for the 21'' oem wheels
That is the benefit of having 20" wheels over 21" or larger, we can buy all season tires.
      10-24-2022, 11:18 AM   #17
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Quote:
Im running square 275/40/20 on my 611m staggered 20" ...zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #18
Pezantlife
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F85

So I recently got 2018 F85 on 21”, and I’m struggling to find some oem winter tire sizes, I going to be using the 21” for the winter but having trouble finding the sizes but I want to know if I can run alternate sizes that peoples been using on the 21” wheels and can’t seem to find any info, something about the 295’s all around but not sure about that too. Or can I do a square setup with the 21” wheels with it being staggered, I’ve always never understood to whole wheel part
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:04 AM   #19
jrizzle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezantlife View Post
So I recently got 2018 F85 on 21”, and I’m struggling to find some oem winter tire sizes, I going to be using the 21” for the winter but having trouble finding the sizes but I want to know if I can run alternate sizes that peoples been using on the 21” wheels and can’t seem to find any info, something about the 295’s all around but not sure about that too. Or can I do a square setup with the 21” wheels with it being staggered, I’ve always never understood to whole wheel part
Ok after everything I’ve read this is what I came up with. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Oem 21x10 et40 21x11.5 et38
285/35 325/30- OEM figment
275/35 315/30 are also OK
275/40 315/35*** recommended alternative
275/45 21 and 315/40 21- forum member ran this- transfer case will be OK as % diameter is within 1%. Will run 1” higher. I will run this in spring once I swap off my 611 winter tire set
295/35/21 will fit all the way around on stock 21

For 20”

BMW winter tire package
20x10 40 rear 20 x10.5 et 35
Pirelli scorpion winters 285/40 20
Can run 275/40-20 315/35-20- many AS options
285/40 20 325/35/20 OEM size for 20s
Appreciate 0