BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

11-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #1
kyratz
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, F15 X5 35i, E46M3

aggressive traction control - only when turning left

have a new to me 2017 xdrive 35i F15 (with 100k kms mileage)and have been getting this fault intermittently, rear shocks were leaking so got them replaced ($3k!) - since then i have had a new issue - traction control coming on aggressively at moderate speeds and loads but only when turning to the left and when the side of the car loads up under cornering. the traction control intervention is very abrupt and applies the brakes very aggressively.

SO... advice from the tech was to change the front struts too (another $2k!) - but the car displays the same issues and there are no other codes according to the tech.

after forum research i found a post suggesting to update the software and re-flash the vertical accelerometers - so we did that - and no change.

The tech is now saying i need to replace all 4 accelerometers at a cost of aanother $3k - i am hesitant to say the least -

can any of you smart and experienced folks help give me any clues as to any other fault finding i can do rather than just keep firing the parts cannon at this car?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 12:33 AM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Are your tires the same diameter all around? Check them for wear.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyratz View Post
have a new to me 2017 xdrive 35i F15 (with 100k kms mileage)and have been getting this fault intermittently, rear shocks were leaking so got them replaced ($3k!) - since then i have had a new issue - traction control coming on aggressively at moderate speeds and loads but only when turning to the left and when the side of the car loads up under cornering. the traction control intervention is very abrupt and applies the brakes very aggressively.

SO... advice from the tech was to change the front struts too (another $2k!) - but the car displays the same issues and there are no other codes according to the tech.

after forum research i found a post suggesting to update the software and re-flash the vertical accelerometers - so we did that - and no change.

The tech is now saying i need to replace all 4 accelerometers at a cost of aanother $3k - i am hesitant to say the least -

can any of you smart and experienced folks help give me any clues as to any other fault finding i can do rather than just keep firing the parts cannon at this car?

thanks
The car have any stored codes?

You're in Oz so I don't know how pricing works there. But replacing the front vertical acceleration sensors is a relatively easy and painless job. Did ours in about an hour, cleaning things along the way. Ours was throwing a code for the left front sensor indicating replacement necessary. We did not have any noticeable driveability issues though and we drove around with the bad sensor for the better part of a year. I think parts cost was ~$200? I'll check later and edit this.
Appreciate 0