BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
X5MNOVA
Rep
Drives: X5M

Should I keep the X5M? (Broken Diff)

I bought an X5m from carmax and the next day I heard a loud metal clunk sound while I was at most 25% throttle. Got to towed back to carmax and they are saying the front differential exploded and they also need to replace both front axles. It only has 32k miles and I am wondering if this is a common issue with the X5m or if the car was pushed hard by the previous owner.

Carmax says they will fix the car but I also have an option to walk away from the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 05:42 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

if it were me, i'd keep it. who is doing the repair? are they sending it to a BMW dealer?
      11-29-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
X5MNOVA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
if it were me, i'd keep it. who is doing the repair? are they sending it to a BMW dealer?
Carmax is doing the repairs, which is another concern lol
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #4
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

I love the platform but, in your case, I would walk away. In all honesty, such a bad experience early in ownership could dictate how you feel about your ride long term. At 32k that is well before most (emphasizing on most, here) folks who would start to experience issues like that; it begs the question of what else would happen.
Appreciate 2
Mgarage66.50
      11-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #5
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

99% chance Carmax is not going to do the repairs themselves, especially for a failure such as this. They will do the initial intake, but then it'll be sent to the BMW dealer. The way they do service is not conducive to having a car sitting in the bay for weeks waiting for parts to arrive, let alone doing this type of work.

It's likely the front propshaft gave way, not the actual front diff itself (but when it goes, it takes everything out).

I'd be torn on what to do here. Personally I waited months for Carmax to get an X5 M that ticked every box for me (and had sub-30k miles) because I wasn't willing to own one without the service contract. Personally I'd ask myself these questions - Is this EXACTLY the one you wanted? Would you prefer some other color or options? Do you care whether or not a replacement comes from Carmax? Would you say you're really in love with the X5 M itself?

Depending on how I answered some of those questions, I could see myself giving them the car back and walking away. Otherwise, I'd keep it if the repairs were done by a BMW dealer, not one of their "Repair Pal" shops which have no idea what they're doing with a car like this.
Appreciate 2
shimmy232357.50
      11-29-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
X5MNOVA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMorgan View Post
99% chance Carmax is not going to do the repairs themselves, especially for a failure such as this. They will do the initial intake, but then it'll be sent to the BMW dealer. The way they do service is not conducive to having a car sitting in the bay for weeks waiting for parts to arrive, let alone doing this type of work.

It's likely the front propshaft gave way, not the actual front diff itself (but when it goes, it takes everything out).

I'd be torn on what to do here. Personally I waited months for Carmax to get an X5 M that ticked every box for me (and had sub-30k miles) because I wasn't willing to own one without the service contract. Personally I'd ask myself these questions - Is this EXACTLY the one you wanted? Would you prefer some other color or options? Do you care whether or not a replacement comes from Carmax? Would you say you're really in love with the X5 M itself?

Depending on how I answered some of those questions, I could see myself giving them the car back and walking away. Otherwise, I'd keep it if the repairs were done by a BMW dealer, not one of their "Repair Pal" shops which have no idea what they're doing with a car like this.
They said they are going to start ordering the parts for it so I'm guessing they are going to do the work? I will ask tomorrow morning if they can have the dealership complete the work.

Also, what do you mean by the service contract? is this through BMW or the Maxcare warranty Carmax sells?

It's tough since idk how long I'd have to wait for carmax to get another x5m with low miles like this one

this is the car btw:https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/5ymkt6c56g0r77669
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #7
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I just had my front diff done by my dealer and they paid 85% as part of their goodwill program. They have a sliding scale based on various factors: time since out of warranty, year, number of BMWs owned, will goodwill keep the owner in the brand, history. Mine is a 2017 with 32k miles. This was two months ago. I’d not be a fan of Carmax doing that work.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 09:00 PM   #8
ArthurMorgan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MNOVA View Post
They said they are going to start ordering the parts for it so I'm guessing they are going to do the work? I will ask tomorrow morning if they can have the dealership complete the work.
I'm actually really surprised by that. When I brought mine to them under the initial 90 day/4k mi warranty for an exhaust odor, they basically told me they really can't fix that and it would have to go to the dealer for diagnostics. Maybe the Carmax locations here are too busy or something. Regardless, I'm shocked they'd be willing to take on THAT intensive of a repair. Personally, I would not feel comfortable letting them do that much work. This isn't a tie rod on an Accord..

Quote:
Also, what do you mean by the service contract? is this through BMW or the Maxcare warranty Carmax sells?]
Just for clarifications sake, Carmax officially has both a warranty AND a service contract (or what they call an Extended Service Plan):

All of their vehicles have a 90 day/4k mile limited warranty that starts as soon as you buy the car. It must be serviced at Carmax itself (or have the service START there and let them send the car elsewhere).

The Maxcare plan is an optional extended service plan where they will pay for approved repairs for covered systems. In Maxcare's case, this is practically most things on the car. You can take the car anywhere (with prior approval) and do not need to use Carmax's service department or Repair Pal, but you will save on your deductible.

Since they're willing to take the car back, I'm guessing you haven't had it very long. If you're beyond the 90 days/4k miles, you could technically take the car to any shop you want to and eat the deductible. It's my understanding MaxCare will not approve a claim if you're still within that initial warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 09:28 PM   #9
X5MNOVA
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually really surprised by that. When I brought mine to them under the initial 90 day/4k mi warranty for an exhaust odor, they basically told me they really can't fix that and it would have to go to the dealer for diagnostics. Maybe the Carmax locations here are too busy or something. Regardless, I'm shocked they'd be willing to take on THAT intensive of a repair. Personally, I would not feel comfortable letting them do that much work. This isn't a tie rod on an Accord..
I agree, everything I've read online said they usually send the car out to the dealership. It makes me wonder if they are going to do minimal work so they can just send it out to auction if I dont keep it. Either way, I'll call and ask them to send the car to BMW.

Quote:

Just for clarifications sake, Carmax officially has both a warranty AND a service contract (or what they call an Extended Service Plan):

All of their vehicles have a 90 day/4k mile limited warranty that starts as soon as you buy the car. It must be serviced at Carmax itself (or have the service START there and let them send the car elsewhere).

The Maxcare plan is an optional extended service plan where they will pay for approved repairs for covered systems. In Maxcare's case, this is practically most things on the car. You can take the car anywhere (with prior approval) and do not need to use Carmax's service department or Repair Pal, but you will save on your deductible.

Since they're willing to take the car back, I'm guessing you haven't had it very long. If you're beyond the 90 days/4k miles, you could technically take the car to any shop you want to and eat the deductible. It's my understanding MaxCare will not approve a claim if you're still within that initial warranty period.
That's correct, I literally had the car for a day and this happened. So I am still with in the 90 days/4k miles period. I bought the Maxcare plan but like you said they wanted me to tow the car back to carmax instead of the dealership since I only had it a day.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #10
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

In my past dealings with carmax, they've been very generous with fixing any issues identified during the initial 90 day window - this has included thousands of dollars of repairs to replace side mirrors, oil leaks, etc., at my preferred place of repair, including the very expensive dealers.

I would be very surprised if they did the repair themselves. You can insist that you want it fixed at a dealer.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2022, 09:39 PM   #11
X5MNOVA
Rep

I called Carmax this morning, they are saying the cost would be "astronomical" if BMW does the repairs. It is apparently costing them 7K/20hrs of work to do the repairs in house. The service rep said these parts just bolt on and they only send the car to BMW if it required special tools they dont have.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 05:54 AM   #12
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
There " just bolt on" & there is " just bolt on properly". Your choice keep it or move on!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 06:27 AM   #13
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

BMW

Quote:
I called Carmax this morning, they are saying the cost would be "astronomical" if BMW does the repairs. It is apparently costing them 7K/20hrs of work to do the repairs in house. The service rep said these parts just bolt on and they only send the car to BMW if it required special tools they dont have.
Maybe say, this is an $XX,XXX vehicle for me and I need to live with whatever happens in the future. So it either gets repaired at the dealer, including a full evaluation of the entire vehicle, then I take it to an amazing indy shop for the same full evaluation to make sure they also find nothing, or I return it for a full refund of all my money. Because if you haven't already, it's amazing what other shops will find. My indy saved my ass twice. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 11:29 AM   #14
ArthurMorgan
Rep

If that's their attitude, they can keep it and send it to auction and lose their ass on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
There " just bolt on" & there is " just bolt on properly". Your choice keep it or move on!
This 100%. Any idiot can "just bolt stuff on". I'm sorry this happened to you, OP, but at this point in time I'd just let them keep it and get your money back.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #15
X5MNOVA
Rep

Quote:
If that's their attitude, they can keep it and send it to auction and lose their ass on it.

This 100%. Any idiot can "just bolt stuff on". I'm sorry this happened to you, OP, but at this point in time I'd just let them keep it and get your money back.

yep, thats the plan at this point. back on the hunt for another X5M
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2022, 09:35 PM   #16
yasavguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW X5M

Previous owner/s could have been fans of launch controls lol

If it were me, I'd walk off if I had an intention to own the vehicle for a long term.
Appreciate 0