BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #1
sumcollegekid
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

AWESOME MYSTERY 3D Park Assist View BUG? I've Never Seen Before and CAN'T GET BACK!!!

Guys,

Today I was driving through a parking lot with the park assist on (accidentally) and a SWEET 3D parking assist view that I've never seen before came up on the Idrive. It wasn't the "typical" split screen top down view like this:

Normal Park View

The view looked more like the photo on page 148 of my 2015 X5M owners manual. The photo in the manual and this one "BUG" time today are the only have I ever seen this. But this view HAS to exist in the software because the view is shown in the manual also.

MYSTERY 3D PARK VIEW

I've tried every combination of parking option I can think of in the Idrive but with no luck. I have to say tho... this was SWEET. Like the photo in the manual "kinda" shows it is a rear 3/4 top view or 3D view of the whole SUV and instead of being a split screen with top down. It took up the entire Idrive screen with this Greyed-out semi transparent 3D X5. It showed BIG stop signs telling me to stop and giving large instruction boxes, and BIG red arrows indicating where a spot was, with the typical white parking spot lines, BETTER curved white sensor lines and with the normal colored object sensor "balloons" front and back working normally. During the parking operation the whole SUV shown in the Idrive screen moved backwards and rotated towards the spot real time until the virtual 3D X5 was parked. I was blown away. SOOOO much better than the 1/2 screen top down BS.

The funny thing was... whenever I put the car in reverse I ONLY got this view with the parking sensor projections and not my rearview camera with the path lines. Nothing I tried was able to get the rear camera to work like before. I drove home, parked the car, read the manual to get my rear parking camera back.... and now MYSTERY 3D mode is GONE. I'm completely back to normal and cannot get this view to come up no matter what. WTF is going on? Am I just stupid and there's an easy way to activate/deactive it that I'm missing.

HELP!
SUM
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 12:10 AM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
That looks like the automatic parking feature looking for a place to parallel park.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 07:55 AM   #3
sumcollegekid
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I agree, but how do you get that specific view. All of my experiments with my personal vehicles in the street to get the system to parallel park and all the youtube videos on self park, only show the top down view.

SUM
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Check the owners manual built into iDrive to see if you have an embedded video that explains the automatic parking feature. It may help reveal what it takes to get that 3D view again.

The pics below are examples of the embedded videos (animated explanations) in my 2015 f06 650ix GC (1st 3 pics) & 2014 f15 X5 50i. The iDrive owners manual is vehicle specific…so it will feature things the vehicle is optioned with. I don’t have parking assist on either of my BMWs so there wouldn’t be any videos for that option.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0