BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2023, 10:57 AM   #1
rblynn78
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5M

Exhaust Valves

Hey all, Quick question for the group please to see if I need to investigate this further. I recently added a Dinan exhaust and VRSF downpipes to my X5M with a BM3 Stage 2 tune. I also have the Macht Schnell EVC controller. What I am noticing is that when I close the exhaust valves, eventhough I hear them moving, the sound / volume of the exhaust doesn't seem to change. I HAVE checked the tune to ensure the valves were not opted to "Open", it is on OEM. On my M4, the valves closed to open was a very noticeable difference, it doesn't seem to be a difference at all on this car. So, if there something not right with the valves on the Dinan exhaust / install issue or do you all find this normal? Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:19 AM   #2
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I could be way off here as my X5M is bone stock, but I hear no discernible difference when I am parked and switch between comfort, sport and sport +. I only hear any sound difference when the car is under load. As soon as I tap the accelorator to back out of the garage, I can tell what mode I’m in. Again, given you are tuned with exhaust, your situation may be very different. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 11:47 PM   #3
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 205 C63S, AMG GT-R

OP - if you leave the engine off, but go into accessory mode (push the start button), and open the rear hatch (in a garage would help with the sound even more), but in a quiet place, you can change the first button from comfort to sport or sport plus and touch the gas. you will hear the valve(s) move. if it does, i can assume that, at least, it/they be moving. you can put it back in comfort and touch the gas pedal and you will hear it move back. if you don't hear this, the valve(s) ain't movin' lol

as a side note - this is how i 'emotion start' my car if i want to impress someone, or just want to feel good lol. because, compared to the amg, the starting noise is kind of anemic lol.

jab23 that's interesting. for me, i do notice a difference even in moderate low speed acceleration. i wonder if more sound is just being pumped into the car. however, doing what i suggested above (except with the engine on), there is a clear difference in just revving the engine as i cycle between the 2 modes. not so much difference for me between sport and sport plus in revving, but for sure comfort to those two.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #4
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
i do this all the time, on a cold start in my garage. This X5M is really loud, until the RPMs drop.