European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #1
JrStig
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Suspension Setup for Maximum Grip

Hey Guys,

So I've got some sticky 305 tyres. I am running KW V3 coilovers and would like to know how I can maximum traction with suspension modifications / settings and what other modifications I should add to maximise traction.

Based on my knowledge, a softer suspension would allow for better traction. What else would u guys recommend that I do to add traction ? I'm new to suspension work so would need you guys to chime in and educate me on this
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 04:53 PM   #2
E92Roni
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 2012 M3 1999 328IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrStig View Post
Hey Guys,

So I've got some sticky 305 tyres. I am running KW V3 coilovers and would like to know how I can maximum traction with suspension modifications / settings and what other modifications I should add to maximise traction.

Based on my knowledge, a softer suspension would allow for better traction. What else would u guys recommend that I do to add traction ? I'm new to suspension work so would need you guys to chime in and educate me on this
You mentioned traction 4 times in the post but didn’t specify straight line or cornering. Based off your setup I’m assuming you’re looking for straight line traction vs. cornering traction (major difference). Your tire compound is the easiest and most effective solution. You mentioned sticky 305s. Size doesn’t matter as much as compound. An R compound 275 will gain more traction than a summer performance 305 tire. Regarding suspension yes you are correct that softer suspension will result in more straight line traction most of the time. Your spring rates and damper setup will play a major role but can differ depending on road surface (street, track, drag strip). For the proper setup find a proper local alignment shop or speed shop that can help you dial it in. Other components like sway bars, end links, toe arms and such are not gonna do you much good for straight line performance. The only other thing I’d suggest is GTS differential coding that any remote coder can do for you. Depending on how much power you’re making id consider custom mapping for boost by gear as well to maximize traction.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2072.50