European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-18-2023, 11:32 PM   #1
Guppies422
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW m4

Oil drain plug stripped

For some reason I stripped the oil drain plug and I think I need a wise grip to take the plug out. Since I put a flat screw driver on the edge and insert the socket in just no way I can apply the force to let the bolt catch the thread to lose it. Some shop say tap it and use helicoil might do the job.
And I was wonder if I use some thing like Dorman help 65109 or Dorman 65200 will that good to fix this. So I don't have to worry if they tap it and there are some lost material left inside the pan. And they say they will flush with some oil and let the material from the drill out. And I assume even there are some inside the pan and the oil will go thru the oil filter filter. So the oil filter will catch it before
go to other engine part am I correct. Since I only drive the M4 in summer and I don't know will this M4 will let the oil bypass is the weather was -20C or so. But this don't happen in my case.
So should I tap it or use Dorman ?
And I own 2 other BMW 2012 Z4 and 2014 435xi should I install a Valvomax if I have room to install them if the plug are on the side.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 07:16 AM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Don’t use those Dorman oil plugs. They’re a stop gap at best. Either replace the oil pan or do the helicoil or timesert. Can also just drill and tap to the next size up since you are doing that anyway with the thread replacement options.
Appreciate 0