BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
Wesley
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Strange behaviour after transmission oil change

Hey all

I saw a lot of treats about this topic, but didnt really found any conclusion, and wondering if somebody has valid input.

About a month ago I let BMW (where I bought the car with 2 year warranty), change the oil, transfer case oil, front and rear diff and transmission oil’s. The same days I changed from winter tires to summer tires.

Since the change I drove around 6000km’s (about 4000 of them highway).

I have the impression the 2018 x5m doesnt shift as smooth anymore as before. Especially going back from 3rd gear to 2nd I can feel a real “bump”. I dont know if the system was reset, as I read a lot about this “re-learning procedure”. But I assume it was done. I also have a Carly scanner that let me reset it, but not a fan of trying around with this, if its not necessary.

As I saw on the form more people experienced this after transmission oil change, and I am wondering if they figured out how to solve it. I’m doubting going back to BMW, but hope that somebody has the magic key to save me a 2,5hr drive

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 06:07 PM   #2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
I think you can reset adaptations for tranny and transfer case. Can’t remember about differential. But make sure u do all that u can. You may have to physically log a fluid change
2015 Porsche GT3
2004 Ferrari 360 Spider 6M
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 06:17 PM   #3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Here ya go:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27780061

On the diff see:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...3&d=1576467951
2015 Porsche GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 03:42 AM   #4
Wesley
Rep

Thanks a million. Gonna see if this works!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:31 PM   #5
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Adaptations. Also you filled on the running tranny at a certain temp ? I have to ask because many times ive seen people fill transmission when the vehicle is off
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 01:10 AM   #6
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Curious if you ever got your situation resolved?
2015 Porsche GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 05:47 AM   #7
Wesley
Rep

Thanks for checking out!

I actually had contact with the BMW Dealer that did the service. I cannot reset transfer case with iCarly, I think. And have no experience with ISTA or similar things, so dont really wanna play around to much. So I had contact with them, told them the story, and they told me that I can either pass by, or when I come next time for oil change, that they will do it (obviously at no cost). Although they said that reset the gear box. But they did not reply on the “transfer case” question.

I drove about 5000km since the oil change, so in a week or 2 I will schedule an appointment. Will let you know how it will be after that.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 05:48 AM   #8
Wesley
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
Adaptations. Also you filled on the running tranny at a certain temp ? I have to ask because many times ive seen people fill transmission when the vehicle is off
It is done at BMW Dealer, so I hope they did it right. Can never be sure obviously. But nevertheless, if it breaks, have still 20 months warrenty
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:36 PM   #9
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Thanks for checking out!

I actually had contact with the BMW Dealer that did the service. I cannot reset transfer case with iCarly, I think. And have no experience with ISTA or similar things, so dont really wanna play around to much. So I had contact with them, told them the story, and they told me that I can either pass by, or when I come next time for oil change, that they will do it (obviously at no cost). Although they said that reset the gear box. But they did not reply on the “transfer case” question.

I drove about 5000km since the oil change, so in a week or 2 I will schedule an appointment. Will let you know how it will be after that.
hey kinda confused. You mentioned doing an oil change on the transmission and now doing a reset on the Transfer Case.

The Transmission(gearbox) adaptation reset and the Transfer Case adaptation reset are two completely separate things.
  • Resetting the Transfer Case adaption post oil change is in the "must" category. This can be toggled as many times as you want.
  • Resetting the Transmission adaptation is in the "not needed, unless you have issues".

Keep in mind, doing a TC reset, there is no follow-up procedure. The adaptation is instant and you are good to go.

Doing a Transmission reset, there is a learning procedure, it will take some/driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 09:41 AM   #10
Garcia_f24
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover SVR — X5M (

Quote:
Originally Posted by [*
Resetting the Transfer Case adaption post oil change is in the "must"
Is this true?? I doubt the shop that did my most recent oil change did this, which may explain the transfer case issues Im experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #11
Wesley
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
hey kinda confused. You mentioned doing an oil change on the transmission and now doing a reset on the Transfer Case.

The Transmission(gearbox) adaptation reset and the Transfer Case adaptation reset are two completely separate things.
  • Resetting the Transfer Case adaption post oil change is in the "must" category. This can be toggled as many times as you want.
  • Resetting the Transmission adaptation is in the "not needed, unless you have issues".

Keep in mind, doing a TC reset, there is no follow-up procedure. The adaptation is instant and you are good to go.

Doing a Transmission reset, there is a learning procedure, it will take some/driving.

Sorry, that is my bad. Will try to clarify. BMW did a engine oil change, transfer case, front and rear diff and gearbox oil changes.

I think mostly the issue is coming from the gear box, but did not think about the transfer case. I dont know how to differentiate a problem if it is coming from the gearbox or from the Transfercase.

I contacted BMW, after your message, if they can reset both gearbox and transfer case (again), as I have the feeling it behaving weird and not as smooth as before.

They replied that they have resetted the gear box, but if I want I can come by to reset the gear box again. They did not reply in the message about the transfer case, which I also asked, so i am unsure if they did, or did not.

But nevertheless, as the garage is an about 2hr drive I cannot “just pop in”. I need to get my normal engine oil changed, as I drove now about 5000km since this last full package of preventive maintenance, so will return to them for the oil change, and in the same time, they will reset both transfercase and gearbox. (I think I need to promply mention also the TC, as they did not reply on that in the email)

I hope that maybe they missed the TC reset, and that this will fix the problem. I am aware that the gearbox need some learning afterwards, but after about 5000km I assumed it should be fine.

At the moment have a little doubt if it was necessary to touch anything that was working, as it only made things worse.

Last edited by Wesley; 04-28-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 05:31 AM   #12
Wesley
Rep

So to get back on this topic.

BMW reset gear box and transfer case adaptions again. I am not sure if they full reset or just some standard out of garage settings, as Ive read a lot online that the gear box is behaving “very nasty” after adaptions reset, but did not had this impression.

Nevertheless, it feels better then before. Im not a 100% satisfied, but not much I can do. I guess around 70% of the problem is solved, so its definitely better then before. I hope it stays this way at least and dont get worse again (which I also saw on this forum).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 10:44 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

What I would do if I were you is to go to a independent shop and have the oil changed again but bring your own oil. I know its money wasted but its worth it for the peace of mind and if it actually fixes your issues.

Two possible scenarios could have happened.

BMW used the wrong fluid not ideal for the ZF transmission for your X5M

They over filled or under filled the system. If you watch videos on youtube there is a very specific routine to properly refill this transmission where it includes them doing an initial fill then warming the car up to do a final fill.

Alan
      06-03-2023, 03:47 AM   #14
Wesley
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
What I would do if I were you is to go to a independent shop and have the oil changed again but bring your own oil. I know its money wasted but its worth it for the peace of mind and if it actually fixes your issues.

Two possible scenarios could have happened.

BMW used the wrong fluid not ideal for the ZF transmission for your X5M

They over filled or under filled the system. If you watch videos on youtube there is a very specific routine to properly refill this transmission where it includes them doing an initial fill then warming the car up to do a final fill.

Alan
Dear Alan,

Thank you for the reply

Do you have some information for me how much oil and which one should go into the ZF Transmission, or maybe one you can recommend? Im afraid if I bring it to an independent shop, and they fuck it up, that my warrenty will be fucked as well
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 10:05 PM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I don't know first hand since i've never changed the fluids on my car but this video helps explains the process.