BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Why are you buying the 1er (135i)

OK i'm sure we went through this already but now that price, "real life" visuals, and some more minor details are out i am inquiring why everyone is considering the 1er, specifically the 135. In my mind and opinion the 135 is more of a sports/track car. That being said, is that why most of you guys on here are considering it? Strictly performance? the 135 will approach 335 numbers and IS350 numbers and im not sure this BMW is worth it. I love the look/engine and general idea of the 1er but im not sure the performance is enough to sway me to purchase a car that is 40K plus when compared to car with more detailing and amenities. Yes, its classic BMW styling and i understand that and i also understand that most of you are BMW enthusiasts. Its more a performance oriented ride and not so much a practical/daily driver i think. BMW's are sold all over for all reasons but i think mostly for the driving experience which i know the 135 will give. But i look at some people and they just buy these overpriced cars for status and styling. Who buys an M6? Someone with "show me" money. Where does this 40K plus Beemer fit in?

So plain and simple why?

Please lets try no flaming in this one and everyone give me your reason. I am having an internal conflict here
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
imported_markc
Rep
Drives:

Why?

I have never taken a car onto a track. I would like to some day. Just haven't ever done it. But I love driving. And I live in a town and country area with many many twisty back roads and short cuts. Here are my reasons for wanting the einer:

1. I expect an equal-to-superior driving feel to that of my '99 328i.

2. I cannot justify spending 50k on an automobile so the 3 series has now gotten out of range. (I don't even get that many options but 50k is "the price on the street - if you want to get some quality that's the price you have to meet")

3. In 35 years of driving, the 328i was far and above my favorite car ever - I will stick with BMW until they let me down.

4. I am not "iffy" on the styling. I flat out love it. Modern but without the "trying too hard" swoopy lines or neo-modern look of the others. I was a toyota fan long ago, but I have hated the look of every Lexus ever built.

5. I came close to buying the 330i two years ago, but I hated hated hated the look of the front - they broke the kidney grille into pieces, destroyed it's curves at the top. And the Audi-like swoop down the middle of the front bumper made me shudder. All chunked up for no reason. Compare to the elegant front end of the '99 328.

6. I use the car for daily driving, trips, commuting, all of it. Only have one car. So the ride has to be comfortable without sacrificing handling. Everything I read about the Einer says it is built to that spec - I know the racing enthusiasts wanted more of a pure sports car. That's not what I was looking for. I want the best handling comfortable daily driver I can get.

7. I am spoiled now (at my advanced age of 50) by the luxuries (now necessities) of heated seats, quiet interior, supportive seats, fit and finish, carpet, etc etc. I expect the einer to be the same level as my 328i. There are likely plusher cars out there, but they will not be built with a laser-like focus on driving - they will be built to ride in.

8. I want the size car I currently have. The 1 will be the same size essentially as the '99 3. The 3 has gotten bigger and bigger. I like maneuverability and the feeling of being in-touch with the road. Bigger cars just feel more out of touch.

9. Styling - part 2. Beautiful or striking (which the 1 surely is) is not sufficient. The car has to look "professional", "high-quality", etc. for showing up at client sites. Hell, there are more beautiful sports cars out there, but I don't want to look like I am stuck in the 17 year old gearhead phase or like I need some kind of phallus symbol. If I were going to have a car just to be a Saturday racer, then perhaps a beautiful pure sports car would be the ticket. But for every day, it has to look smart, not just great.

10. I have some conscience when it comes to emmissions, fuel consumption, etc. I would be very tempted to go with the deisel model if they were bringing it over here. 0-60 in under 7 while getting 50mpg would be pretty cool. But if I have to choose between 25mpg/5 seconds to 60mph or 40mpg/15 seconds to 60, my conscience kind of takes a back seat. But I could never live with myself if I drove something in the 12 - 15 mpg range. I get 24mpg over the 120,000 miles I have driven the 328i. I expect the same or better from the 1.

I suppose you may end up with categories of buyers. Put me down as a satisfied '99 3-series owner looking to duplicate or improve that exact experience and price. The 1 is the new 3.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Hmmm...I love my s2k. But I believe its time to move on. When Honda builds a replacement just tell me where to sign.

The 135i meets very special requirements.

1. More refined than my S
2. More room than my S
3. Much faster than my S
4. Better Fuel Economy than my S
5. More Comfortable than my S
6. Better Sound than my S
7. Handling not far from my S

That pretty much sums it up. I'm not really looking for a bunch of gizmos and gadgets. The reason I want this car is b/c I like how balanced BMW's feel. I also want a ridiculously fast car that also likes to turn. :biggrin: When I get behind the wheel I drive, not fidget with every button in my car. I'll admit to ticking off this package and that package but then I stopped myself. I said I might as well get a 335i if i need such things.
      11-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I have 1st allocations for this, the M3 & C63 AMG. I've decided to go with the lighter weight, smaller packaged and least expensive underdog. I honestly would not buy it if the piggyback systems were unavailable though.

I like to tune my cars so out of the three this would be the best bang for my horsepower dollar. Had I not found this website I probably would have gone with the C63 because it should be easily tunable to 500hp and I think it looks better then the M3. Would the driving fun factor be there with the C63? Doubt it, that's where the M3 shines.

As far as the 135, I like the compact pocket rocket feel I hope this car brings. My reasons for choosing this car will most likely differ from others I'm sure but hey, you asked.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
flanagan
Fits in the Rear Seats
Rep
Drives:

Let me start off by saying that i had planned to keep my Si for years, but the news of the 1er Coupe has "influenced" me. I had been looking for an upgrade to my Acura CL prior to buying the Civic, and the 1er fits that bill perfectly:
1. Three letters: RWD. I've had just about enough with FWD. I don't care if it's "better in the snow". The RWD Volvo I once owned was the best car I've ever driven in the snow: it was so controllable.

2. Three more letters: BMW. I hate 7-series drivers (no offense to anyone here, but in my experience, they typify the porcupine joke). I hate the perception people have of BMW as a luxury brand. Badges don't impress me. The way every BMW I've ever driven handles, rides, and drives in general is simply the best I've experienced. That includes a few Mercedes (including an S600 with the twin-turbo V12), a great many Audis (including the RS4), and countless random vehicles, all of which have been praised for the way they drive.

3. Feature-for-feature a better value than the 350Z, G35/37, Acura TL-S, Audi A3 3.2 S-line, STi, and Evo (all other cars I've looked at as the Si's replacement), and likely faster to boot.

4. Moving from financing my Si to a lease on the BMW will be roughly the same price per month, and insurance costs will likely go down (Civics are hands down the most expensive production cars to insure). Luckily the Honda has held its value since driving off the lot (some used examples are going for MORE than MSRP, unbelievably) so I could potentially MAKE money on a trade-in. (Trade-in value minus the remaining principal after only a year is in the black!) When have you ever heard THAT?

5. Add ~$1500 for a PROcede v2 and it's an E92 M3 beater, not a "close enough". Plus it's easily reversible for those of us looking to lease!

6. The news of the suspension tuning is really appealing to me. The CL was too soft for me, the Civic is unnecessarily tight for the roads in Monmouth County (I'm sure you would agree, especially since we're coming up on pothole season!). "More of a GT" is exactly what I'm looking for in suspension.

7. The size to me is perfect. I thought the E46 was about right for me, and the 1er is only a few inches smaller in length. It's actually within a few inches of my Civic!

8. Moving from revs (K20) to torque (N54) is pretty appealing. For all the K20's great points (sound under acceleration, 8200rpm red line, high specific output, etc), it becomes a bit of a chore after a while to shift so frequently. The gearing on the Si is so short it borders on the ridiculous. In 6th at 80mph I'm at about 4000rpm. Highway driving starts to wear on my brain after a while. It's like listening to someone make a milkshake for hours at a time.

9. As far as styling goes, I currently drive a car that looks unconventional at best. It looks like a porpoise. The 1er is downright gorgeous to me, especially compared to its BMW stable-mates. The detailing on it is sublime, from the gentle upsweep of the side skirts to the way the taillights light.

10. I am a HUGE stickler for interiors. The 1er in Terra is one of the best-looking I've seen this side of a DB9. BMW interiors to me were always stuffy and business-like, but recent interiors (3-series excepted) have been a major improvement. The 1er manages to maintain a level of seriousness about it while adding some character. Compared to the other vehicles I've shopped, it's the hands-down winner in this department. The STi, Evo, and 350Z are bargain-basement in comparison, the A3 is without character, and the G37 is still completely putrid for its class. Only the Acura comes close, but it's getting long in the tooth and the metallic leather is just strange.

That about covers it! And I echo markc: The 1 is the new 3.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Beacause assholes seem to be driving ever slower, and clusterfucking in new and creative ways. I view the 135i as, a very important and powerful tool to outmanuever these fools and put them behind me. Recently, I've had to adopt new and creative driving strategies such as using turn lanes as a brief window of opportunity to zip around and pass these morons...because they won't get out of their own way, much less mine.

Just because your time isn't important, that doesn't mean my time isn't either.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I just like the 135i to drive.

i have driven e46 m3/e92 m3/e90 330i/e92 335i/e90 335i they all feel like big cars. 135i is not a light car. But it doesnt feel like heavy car. more agile. It really feels like a mini m3. In real life the car looks awesome.

3 serie has become an old 5 series. I never liked 5 series to big. No sporty feeling. So i don t like the new 3 series also.

135i is a fantastic car. It sits between a GT car and a real sporty car. Best of both ways. After my test ride i just couldn t resist to order one.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List

You hit it smack on the head. The current 3 series is really like the old five.

The 135i is the e46 reborn.
      11-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

No love for the 128i ?? It's a 1er too:wink:
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Hmmm...I love my s2k. But I believe its time to move on. When Honda builds a replacement just tell me where to sign.

The 135i meets very special requirements.

1. More refined than my S
2. More room than my S
3. Much faster than my S
4. Better Fuel Economy than my S
5. More Comfortable than my S
6. Better Sound than my S
7. Handling not far from my S

That pretty much sums it up. I'm not really looking for a bunch of gizmos and gadgets. The reason I want this car is b/c I like how balanced BMW's feel. I also want a ridiculously fast car that also likes to turn. :biggrin: When I get behind the wheel I drive, not fidget with every button in my car. I'll admit to ticking off this package and that package but then I stopped myself. I said I might as well get a 335i if i need such things.
fair enough but we dont have proof of any of that yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I just like the 135i to drive.

i have driven e46 m3/e92 m3/e90 330i/e92 335i/e90 335i they all feel like big cars. 135i is not a light car. But it doesnt feel like heavy car. more agile. It really feels like a mini m3. In real life the car looks awesome.

135i is a fantastic car. It sits between a GT car and a real sporty car. Best of both ways. After my test ride i just couldn t resist to order one.
Totally agree.

and my other reason is that the e92 335i is 50k (with premium and sport pck) and 135i is not. i see people saying its 40k, but its not, every dealer i've been to in NY and NJ has had them all at 46k and higher mostly at 50k. so plain and simple i like power, package, and price of the 135i.:roundel:
      11-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I currently have a 06 Si and planned to keep the car a very long time. However, I've grown tired of having to rev and rev the car to get somewhere. I honestly don't think I'll ever own a 4cyl car ever again. Plus the 135 is faster than my NSX and has more Hp and Tq so who can argue with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #13
flanagan
Fits in the Rear Seats
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2SLOW1 View Post
I currently have a 06 Si and planned to keep the car a very long time. However, I've grown tired of having to rev and rev the car to get somewhere. I honestly don't think I'll ever own a 4cyl car ever again. Plus the 135 is faster than my NSX and has more Hp and Tq so who can argue with that.
:respekt:, fellow Si driver!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
I am getting a 128i in auto
because

1- I hate turbos and the heat soak that comes with it
2- i love the n52 sound and the NA power
3- the interior of the 128i murders jdm interiors
4- I love the kink in the doors
5-angel eyes
6- awd is too safe to be fun
7- i dont want to mod the car besdies rims
8- i want a true sports car which is rwd
9- the wife can drive the auto and the paddles are fun
10- its a bmw and there is 4 yrs free maint.
      11-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I love small BMW coupes the 3er does not fit the bill anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Beacause assholes seem to be driving ever slower, and clusterfucking in new and creative ways. I view the 135i as, a very important and powerful tool to outmanuever these fools and put them behind me. Recently, I've had to adopt new and creative driving strategies such as using turn lanes as a brief window of opportunity to zip around and pass these morons...because they won't get out of their own way, much less mine.

Just because your time isn't important, that doesn't mean my time isn't either.
Thats a big part of my reasoning too. I had to use that turning lane in my brothers truck to get out of the way just a few days ago!
      11-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #17
isitspringyet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '98 SLK, '03 TL/S

markc hit my reasons on the head. I'm 51, want the performance and handling, but drive all over the Southeast. I love going through the Ocoee and Natahala in my Mercedes SLK, but no stick available when it first came out. I miss the manual, but also like the leather seats, and a small car. My kids are out of the house, so it is just 2 at the most, unless I'm taking a customer to lunch, and they could sqeeze in for a quick trip. Plus they are mostly engineers, and who wouldn't love this car? I want some comfort, not just track performance, so this fits me!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #18
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The Coupe

At some point, about three years ago, I jotted down a few notes titled, "The Coupe". It was a list of characteristics I was looking for in a short, closed car. It was a distillation of what I have desired in a coupe. Pretty straightforward list and it wasn't tied to the car being new. The features desired were:
  • 6 cyl or 8 cyl (inline 6 preferred)
  • adequate luggage space
  • good styling (exterior)
  • amenities (A/C, 'radio', reasonably quiet)
  • comfortable GT [ED - but I'm like Ryephile, my notion of comfort isn't La-Z-Boy - it's more like no heim joints in the suspension ; -)]
  • decent entry/exit
  • extremely reliable [ED - I know, the N54 is a bit of a crap shot]
  • no leaf springs preferred [ED - I was considering a Maserati 3500 GT and it uses rear leafs]
The 135i covers those points and more, the N54 will be great at altitude. It will return decent fuel economy, especially considering its performance potential. It has the amenities I want and can be optioned out the way I want. It's also going to be one helluva value.

So a few weeks ago (after the first reviews were out) I went ahead and crossed the Rubicon and joined the BMW CCA. I am really looking forward to this car!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post

So a few weeks ago (after the first reviews were out) I went ahead and crossed the Rubicon and joined the BMW CCA. I am really looking forward to this car!
If you can wait a year, you'll get an extra $1000 off your BMW purchase!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
Frisky Dingo
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krassanova View Post
If you can wait a year, you'll get an extra $1000 off your BMW purchase!

Probably more like $500, that's what they give you if you get the 3-series. Not a bad return on investment but it's not a grand either.
      11-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #21
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Why are you buying the 1er (135i)?

BMW
2 doors
300 lbs of torque
Smaller than a 3-Series

It's as close as I'll ever get to reliving my old 2002.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #22
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanagan View Post
:respekt:, fellow Si driver!
Hahaha I just dont rev anymore and go slow. While relaxing for my commute people are mad at me for driving so slow and I get frustrated when I want to go fast.