ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-16-2024, 02:16 PM   #1
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

Race Suspension Maintenance, Bearings, Etc

Sup Fellas,
I've got aftermarket coil-overs front, height adjustable perches in the rear, TC Kline camber plates, adjustable links etc.

I live in a humid climate in Louisiana and usually try to avoid driving the car in the rain as to keep all of the exposed bearings, spherical bearings etc clean from the elements.

It all gets a little noisy after a while.

MCS advised to spray the bearings with some PB Blaster, allow it to sit, then blow out with compressed air.

Anyone have any maintenance tips, thoughts, routines?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 03:12 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

There’s not much you can do unless there are options for a sealed/covered monoball/bearing. I believe all of the upper and lower rear suspension arms from Ground Control are sealed. Fall Line used to offer race and street (sealed) rear arms. PB blaster, or similar products, do a good job of loosening up debris + compressed air (works far better than water and keeps the bearings/monoballs lubed).

Damper covers/sleeves can be used to protect the piston rod and spring seats (thrust sheets or Torrington bearings) from dirt and debris. I’m using them on my wife’s f22 240ix with MCS 2WR dampers because it is occasionally (not purposely) driven in winter road conditions. They do a great job of keeping the dampers clean. You can use zip ties to better seal the sleeves to the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 03:38 PM   #3
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
There’s not much you can do unless there are options for a sealed/covered monoball/bearing. I believe all of the upper and lower rear suspension arms from Ground Control are sealed. Fall Line used to offer race and street (sealed) rear arms. PB blaster, or similar products, do a good job of loosening up debris + compressed air (works far better than water and keeps the bearings/monoballs lubed).

Damper covers/sleeves can be used to protect the piston rod and spring seats (thrust sheets or Torrington bearings) from dirt and debris. I’m using them on my wife’s f22 240ix with MCS 2WR dampers because it is occasionally (not purposely) driven in winter road conditions. They do a great job of keeping the dampers clean. You can use zip ties to better seal the sleeves to the dampers.
Appreciate the feedback. I've gotten some of those previously when I drove the car daily much more often. Likely need to reinstall over the exposed shafts and springs.
Appreciate 0