BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Willie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Windscreen?

When I purchased my 1-Cab I tried to get the dealer to throw in a windscreen/wind deflector free - didn't have much luck though as it's a $700 accessory. I've had my 1 for a week now but it hasn't been warm enough to cruise topless on the highway - how's the wind in the cockpit? Anyone have the windscreen? Are there any aftermarket windscreens that I should look at or am I stuck with getting it from BMW?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

I've been driving convertibles for a very long time. Since I already own the Porsche Cabrio, I went for the 135i as a coupe, but I came very close to getting it as a convertible, too.

I have read that the cockpit of the 1-Series convertible does get a bit windy compared to some other convertibles. I am spoiled by the 911, as it is extremely calm inside the cockpit, and with the windscreen in place, and the windows up, there is barely any wind at all... even at freeway speeds and beyond. With the seat heaters and vent heaters turned up I can toast myself on the coldest of days. (California "cold" in my location isn't anything like yours though!!)

I would highly recommend the windscreen. I did read in one review that it makes a huge difference on the 135i. I'd probably suggest the factory part, but that's up to you, of course. Hopefully, someone here with first-hand 135i 'vert experience can help you out. Good luck.
Topless is a great way to fly!! j/k

I sure hope you got the heated seats!! BTW, buy yourself a cool hat... you'll see why.
      04-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

The front seats are fine. The backseats are extremely windy. My wife and I road up front in our test drive, and we put the sales rep in the back. It was hilarious to see her being wind blown during the ride, hehe.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Willie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the feedback guys - being in Canada heated seats were mandatory. I love the 1-vert... since I got it I've totally been 'that guy' driving around in chilly weather, top down with the seats heated and heat blowing! This car makes driving fun again!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I currently have an E36 cabrio and the windscreen makes a huge difference. I suspect it would for the E88 as well.

$700 is crazy. You can get it for $363 including shipping from here:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=132126
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Silver Fox
Rep
Drives:

Got the screen from my fave dealer for $400. Love it. It makes a big difference!
      08-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
1ofthe1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
The front seats are fine. The backseats are extremely windy. My wife and I road up front in our test drive, and we put the sales rep in the back. It was hilarious to see her being wind blown during the ride, hehe.
Keep in mind that the windscreen completely covers the back seat and extends up behind the headrests of the front seats. There is no way to sit in the back seats with the windscreen installed.

My CA bought the windscreen for me using his discounted price and stored it in his office until my car arrived. I paid him $350. Very nice on his part !!!
      08-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
I currently have an E36 cabrio and the windscreen makes a huge difference. I suspect it would for the E88 as well.

$700 is crazy. You can get it for $363 including shipping from here:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=132126
+1
I bought my windscreen from Tischer. Now if only I could pick up my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

My sales guy threw in the windscreen for free! He argued, but in the end, he did it. BTW, it definately helps out a bit, but the cockpit really isn't all that windy in this car, and with the windows rolled up and the heater set on high, it would be very easy to stay warm in this car with the top down throughout most of the year, especially here in California.

For now, I wish it were easier to cool things off! We hit 100 degrees today. It's usually in the wonderful 80's this time of year.
      08-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
Sadie114
Rep
Drives:

I also bought the windscreen online at the above website address for $363.00 online, free shipping.

I can't say enough about how much it reduces the wind. I can drive to work with the windows up and the windscreen in and it doesn't even mess my hair up. Without the windscreen, no dice. HUGE difference, a must have in my book.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I ordered one from eBay last night. My gf has long hair, so I hope it helps keep the wind out of the front seats. The wind can really blow around her hair at speeds over 60.
Appreciate 0