BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
BrooklynOne
BrooklynOne
Rep
Drives:

Thinking about getting the 128i vert

I drive myself crazy sometimes thinking over decisions, but I guess since this is a big expense, maybe it's not a bad thing. I had a 3 series, and when the lease ended, I gave it up and had been waiting for the 1 series to be available. Well, it's here now, but the leases have been high. I've also been going back and forth whether to get the convertible or coupe, but never owned a convertible, and seems like it would be a blast (esp after taking the test drive). So, I think I found a good deal. What do you think...

128i vert
cashmere silver/taupe leather
black top
Premium
Sport
Steptronic

$439/mo
$2,500 down (around $4,700 out of pocket with taxes and everything else)

Additional comments: the moonlight black top sounds cool (although haven't seen in person), but don't want to order and wait, and this is what the dealer has on the lot
Also, sounds like Comfort Access is a worthy option for the vert, but again, don't feel like waiting (esp since I think this is a good deal).

Plan is to go in today and do the paperwork. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
1ATTIC
Private
Rep
Drives:

We have had out 128 vert for a week now (Cashmere Silver, Moonlight Black top). The color combination is striking, and much better looking than in pictures. Also, I beleive it will be much less common than Alpine White for example. Also, it seems like evey other vehicle on the road is currently white, so why go with the crowd :biggrin:.

We've found that comfort access is a very good option to have with the convertible.

However, I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with the your choice.
Premium Sound
Moonlight Black Soft Top
Steptronic
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
sluday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I heard from most members that Comfort Access is a must have for vert owners. There are a ton of 1 series vert in New Jersey so I would have your dealer do a search or maybe take a ride down here.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have comfort access on my vert. It's nice, but I wouldn't say CA is a must have option. To be honest, I rarely open/close the top with the remote - I don't like to put that much strain on the battery. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
BrooklynOne
BrooklynOne
Rep
Drives:

Did anyone lease? If so, do you think it's a good deal?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
sluday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynOne View Post
I have seen advertised deals like yours and it seems like a standard deal. i leased two Audis in the past and I put 0 down which brought the payments up a bit but I did not want to put any money down on a car I was not going to own. I am sure that the money factor is high on the 1 series because it is so new.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
deafjam
Rep
Drives:

what are the details to your lease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynOne View Post
I've been on the fence about leasing a 128i convertible. My wife and I love the car, but we're weighing the pros and cons based on potential changes in the size of the family. Plus, we're having a ridculously difficult time deciding on colors and options.

I'm in Southern California and have talked to a few dealers. Most will discount $500 from MSRP and throw in floor mats.

As for the lease mechanics, we plan on doing 3 years and 10,000 miles per year. At this time, the residual is 63% of msrp. I've been quoted money factors between .00260 and .00300; .00270 seems to come up most frequently.

Most seasoned lessees recommend not putting any cash into the transaction to reduce the capitalized cost. If you have extra cash to put into the transaction, use multiple security deposits instead. Each security deposit--up to a maximum of 7 security deposits--reduces the money factor by .00007. You end up paying less interest, thus a lower monthly payment, AND you'll get your security deposits back when you return your car. Think of it as a way to earn interest on your security deposit. Not a bad way to go if you have cash to put into the transaction.

The dealers I've spoken to recommend drive-offs to be first month's payment, security deposit(s), title, and license.

Keep in mind you'll also have to pay an acquisition fee and a documentation fee. The acquisition fee is $825, but I've read on other boards that some lessees pay as little as $625. The documentation fee is $45. Both the acquisition fee and documentation fee can be rolled into the capitalized cost of the vehicle or paid in the drive-offs.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
I have comfort access on my vert. It's nice, but I wouldn't say CA is a must have option. To be honest, I rarely open/close the top with the remote - I don't like to put that much strain on the battery. YMMV.
I agree that BMW is very contradictory with CA and the remote top up/down. The owner's manual says:
"If possible, conserve the battery by only operating the convertible top when the engine is running."
But then with CA they give you the option to raise or lower the top without having the car running.

I do not have CA and I have no regrets about not ordering it. Of course, since I don't have it I don't know what I am missing either. :iono:

Do keep in mind a couple of things about CA.
1. It will likely be expensive to fix (parts and labor) it it stops working. Not really an issue if you lease but something to consider if you hold onto the car out of warranty (main reason I did not get it).
2. The "key" still has buttons to open/lock the doors and trunk. If you are only wanting CA for the remote top/up down part of CA, you can get that by adding the alarm system after you get the car.

OP, nice car. It has about everything you need. The only other thing to consider is if you listen to your iPod (or other MP3 player), then I would say that the USB connection is required.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
BrooklynOne
BrooklynOne
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the feedback everyone -- very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
BrooklynOne
BrooklynOne
Rep
Drives:

How much does it cost to add an alarm system (I find this to be such a turnoff that they don't include an alarm system at the factory -- I knwo -- so the dealers can make some more money). Not sure if I want to put in the extra money if I'm just leasing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
Rep
Drives:

Do it!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Just in time for summer!

BTW, the Moonlight Soft Top is nice, but not enough of a difference to to kill a deal.
      06-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
2. The "key" still has buttons to open/lock the doors and trunk. If you are only wanting CA for the remote top/up down part of CA, you can get that by adding the alarm system after you get the car.
Really? The other answers about this said that it didn't work the top. I really want the remote top option, I've been trying to get straight answers about it out of anyone. Yes, I know I was dumb not to get CA, but I didn't know the remote top was an option when I gave it up. About how much it is to get the alarm installed to get this feature?

amy!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
Really? The other answers about this said that it didn't work the top. I really want the remote top option, I've been trying to get straight answers about it out of anyone. Yes, I know I was dumb not to get CA, but I didn't know the remote top was an option when I gave it up. About how much it is to get the alarm installed to get this feature?

amy!
The owner's manual says the alarm will allow for remote top up/down. People with verts in other countries where the alarm is standard have reported that it works. I am not aware of anyone installing the alarm in the US to test this though.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

I couldn't say no to getting that car, its your preference and what you desire more. Both the 135i and 128i are great cars, and you'll love your choice either way.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I love CA and would get it again in a SECOND.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
The owner's manual says the alarm will allow for remote top up/down. People with verts in other countries where the alarm is standard have reported that it works. I am not aware of anyone installing the alarm in the US to test this though.
Not quite for the U.S. Page 22 of the (non iDrive) manual describes controlling the top/sunroof & windows with the key in the door when equipped with CA or the optional Alarm. And p.27 describes conrolling the top with the remote only when equipped with CA. So the conclusion is that adding the alarm will allow control of the top with the key - but not the remote.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
I don't have CA, but have iDrive and the top can be controled by the key. I took an all black one, but I do regret not getting the xenon lights. I had them on my E90, and a miss them, although, with top down, you kind of forget about the lights anyway.

As far as the lease rates, I am paying significantly more a month, but put only 1400 down. I'd say roll them back on the upfront money and go for it. Remember if your car is wrecked or stolen, you lose all that up front money. Never a good idea to put money down on a lease.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #19
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

1. if it's your only car, go for a 135, you WILL notice the difference
2. if you aren't going to spring for the aftermarket module (TBD), then CA is a great option. I miss it relative to my wife's 135 which has it.
3. get the dealer to throw in tinting... why? You won't be able to enjoy the open top for a few days after tinting. Get it done before delivery
Appreciate 0