BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
imported_Noob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Considering the 1 series.

Hi,

I just googled and signed up so I could get a feel for this. I will continue to read up, but was hoping those that are into BMWs could chime.

Been thinking about either the 1 series or 3 series in the next 3-4 years . This purchase will be a serious one, perhaps one that'll last me for a while. I don't trade in cars, instead I buy them, own them till they severely wear out lol. Had Japanese cars for about 6-8 years. But I'm getting old now, so I would prefer to just buy a BMW and keep @ it for some time.

My only concern is the MPG and if maintenance DIYs are manageable. But the way the economy is, and issue w/ fuel, I am wondering if BMW would ever bring out something more efficient?

Thanks.

- Noob
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Welcome dude. Well were all inlove with the Bimmers, and I'm sure whichever u choose you wont be disapointed. What is it your looking for, a small comfy fast car w good mpg/performance or lots of space sedan w/ nice accessories w/ the power/speed/performance to back it up? DYIs are very manageable on the Bimmers, many vendors post DIY's so youll find everything you need on here, and if you dont, you can feel free to ask any of us, were always wiling to help our fellow 1Addicts friends.

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
imported_Noob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Hello,

Thanks.

I understand oil will probably rise, but I've been researching and seeing these 'new' fuel cars being put out, by WV, and even BMW themselves. To better explain; I'm wondering where we might be headed in the next 3-5 years for the 1 series. I know it seems 'very out stretched', but I am in the midst of buying a home as well. But enough with that.

I would love something that's manageable down the road and decent on the MPG, but I understand how it is w/ the BMWs and some being TT. Just want less headache lol. The 1 just has all the aesthetics lol.

I really love the 1 series and hope it's workable and maintainable like Hondas and such.

I've changed rotors/brakes, basic fluids and gaskets. But nothing too serious.

Thanks.. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
I see.. well yes there is the Diesel nation made by VW's and BMW and Benz.. My last car was a 2006 VW Jetta TDI, it would get 45-55mpg which was amazing putting gas once or twice a month depending on how id drive. But it lacked the power, however it Performed extremely well in my opinion.. I believe there is a diesel BMW 335d I think thats wat its called, however, im unsure if any time soon will there be a Diesel 135i w the same capabilites in performance/power. Which you can get more info here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=120d

But yes the 1 has all the aesthetics, it has best of both worlds, M3's and 335i's.. I think the 1 would be perfect for you

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

I think the answer to your questions may be found in the 2011 or 2012 1 series. they will be coming out with a twin turbo four cylinder tii version. that will considerably increase mpg. also they have brought over the 335d for 2009. so who knows what we will get next. 123d has a hell of a lot of torque and gets great gas mileage. since you got 3-4 years......wait it out. they will have something your looking for soon!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
As far as maintence DIY goes, the great part about BMW is they cover ALL of your maintence and wearable items (oil changes,brake pads, etc) for the first 50K miles. Really a great program (although you may want to change your oil in the interim and not wait for the computer to tell you to!)

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
I think the answer to your questions may be found in the 2011 or 2012 1 series. they will be coming out with a twin turbo four cylinder tii version. that will considerably increase mpg.
The TII version will be great but it sounds like the OP wants a simple, reliable and reasonably efficient BMW. A high-strung performance model with a high-reving turbo may not be quite what he's looking for.

To me it sounds like he wants a 120d, 123d, 320d, 325d or 330d. But, since they don't import those to the states (Assuming the OP is in the states) he would have to settle for a 128i, 328i or perhaps a 528i.

The 335d may be an option since they actually bring it to the states and it's noticeably more efficient but the emphasis on long term ownership beyond warranty makes me shy away from recommending a turbo of any type (maybe an unfounded fear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
As far as maintence DIY goes, the great part about BMW is they cover ALL of your maintence and wearable items (oil changes,brake pads, etc) for the first 50K miles. Really a great program (although you may want to change your oil in the interim and not wait for the computer to tell you to!)
While it's a nice program, the OP is asking more specifically about maintainence and DIY fixes after the manufacterer warantee expires. I'll let someone who has owned a few BMW's outside of warantee answer that part.

Personally I'm a bit concerned about all of the electronics but every manufacterer is throwing a lot of gadgets in cars today. Every extra item they toss in is an extra item that may break down the road. While the electronics should outlast the car, real problems do come up and electronic bugs can be a pain to fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
There will always be something better coming out. In that respect, cars are like computers. You could wait forever because there's always something better just on the horizon. Since you sound like me in that you buy a car and own it until it dies, then the best thing to keep in mind is that you should buy something you will be happy with for potentially the years to come. You're also very lucky to be buying now in the sense that better deals have never been offered. This means you shouldn't have to sweat the price, almost any deal you consider will be better than what we were able to get. The key to making your decision is to figure out what kind of car you really need (a 3 sedan is a different kind of car than a 1 coupe) and then go out and test drive all the options. If you're one of us, the driving experience will lead you to a 1.

Buying a car for the long haul is like a marriage so think it through, but go with your heart. Anything less, no matter how "smart" will leave you wanting.
      12-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
imported_Noob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and help.

Yes, it seems promising awaiting into the next 3-5 years. I am caught between getting a car and home. But I would very much settle for a home, seeing how things are. I am in the USA.

You all make great points and I try to read up on my coffee break. I'll especially re-read the posts here this weekend. I've grown up on Hondas predominately and still drive one today, a 2005. I'm getting fairly old now and would want a BMW in my lifetime. A 4 cyc sounds nice w/ the diesel, as the V6s were a bizzy on the imports to work on. But I wouldn't mind, though my knowledge isn't too far out to mess w/ turbo. I would just like to pick up a 'bmw' and have it for the next 5 - 7 years type of thing.

On the electronic part, that seems the worst thing ever. It's not like I could micro chip things or replace a fried board. A few cars we've had these days have a lot of electronic issues, even older BMWs, but as they say, and as you know there would always be something like this.

I do learn a lot on the boards, in my past experiences and hopefully they can be applied here.

Now if a 2010-2012 has an effiecient MPG, the same looks if not better, and AWD, that'd be golden. -_-
Appreciate 0