ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
kenon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

2007 Z4M stange noise - possibly clutch?

Hi everyone! Just found this site, I must say, it looks very nice. Lots of useful information.

Anyway, I'll get to the point. I have a 2007 Z4M Coupe with 6,000 miles. I treat the car pretty well (I think). I have a question about a strange noise I've been hearing recently.

It's only noticeable in first gear - often when I'm barely rolling. This occurs both in 1st gear and reverse. As I release the clutch and apply slight gas, I hear a strange sound coming from somewhere inside my car. I can't really explain the sounds, but I have a bad feeling it has something to do with the clutch. Best I could describe it would have to be a slight "thud". It's pretty much only noticeable when I have the window opened, but it bothers me to think that it might be damaged somehow.

I don't really thrash the car compared to what others do with sport cars. Never done a standing clutch drop on the thing. I do, however, rarely run the engine hard. IE - Full acceleration to appx 7,000 RPM before shifting. I've maybe gone to an vacant lot 3-4 times to do some doughnuts, but never melting rubber or anything like that. Just a few slides here and there.

I'm pretty confident that in an ECU dump there would be nothing significant to show clutch damage. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so is this something I should be worried about? I understand ALL cars can be easily damaged through stupidity - should I reconsider how I occasionally drive the car? It is an M after all.

Thanks everyone.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Clutch chatter. Normal on these cars. Sounds sketchy but there's nothing to worry about.
      04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

i think i have the same problem when i clutch in in first gear with a little bit of speed i would get this mechanical sound.
      04-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Its called"your car complaining it for driving it like a bitch".... You have never been past 7000rpm!!!!!!! dude this car comes alive after 7000, what are you thinking?????? this engine can take so much more than what it produces from factory, go enjoy your car and stop worrying about it.... Mine has about 10,000 miles of pure abuse and its still fine, so im sure yours will be. I kid you not, that in the times i drive the car, i have never been more than 5 mins without redlining it, even if im on the highway il downshift and floor it every couple of mins because i cant help myself.
      04-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
kenon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
Its called"your car complaining it for driving it like a bitch".... You have never been past 7000rpm!!!!!!! dude this car comes alive after 7000, what are you thinking?????? this engine can take so much more than what it produces from factory, go enjoy your car and stop worrying about it.... Mine has about 10,000 miles of pure abuse and its still fine, so im sure yours will be. I kid you not, that in the times i drive the car, i have never been more than 5 mins without redlining it, even if im on the highway il downshift and floor it every couple of mins because i cant help myself.
Ok, I've hit 8,000 RPM a few times, I'm sure. But still, that stuff can't be good for the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenon View Post
Ok, I've hit 8,000 RPM a few times, I'm sure. But still, that stuff can't be good for the engine.
Look, il put it to you this way, street cars like the z4 m are so limited from the factory that 8000rpm is a very safe limit for the engine. I saw about a week ago an m3 with stock pistons and block producing 1100 hp. look up taza m3 on youtube. as long as you change the oil it will be fine. what will suffer is other components like the axle and clutch if you are reckless with the car and launch it very hard and stuff.
      04-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

I would also check and make sure strut braces, etc are all torqued properly. These are notorious for working loose and sound sickeningly like something very bad has has happened to the drive train.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

What he's describing is the typical clutch chatter exhibited by these models when dis-engaging the clutch under load (specifically, pushing in the pedal when the engine is still working slightly and at a very slow speed). In this situation will hear a mechanical, quick, 4-5 beat chatter. Once again this is completely normal.

Front strut-Tower-Braces just "pop" under body flex when they need tightening.

Rear sway bar mounts will pop or squeak under varying degrees of body flex and uneven pavement depending on just how loose (or missing) they are.

A single loud "pop"/"bang" from the front followed then on by a tinny rattle sound over uneven pavement is the passenger-side motor mount bracket bolt(s) failing ("pop"/"bang") resulting in your engine twisted against the passenger side firewall with the heat shield in contact with emission control valve (tinny rattle).
      04-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

I haven't noticed this with my MR so I will have to just take your word on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZZZE View Post
I haven't noticed this with my MR so I will have to just take your word on that.
While I can make it happen pretty much on-command, I find that moving up an incline slowly in first while decelerating and then depressing the clutch pedal before the car is stopped will always induce the chatter whether I'm trying to or not.