BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

135i vs 335i Sell me one.

I need to decide very soon which car to buy and I am struggling to make my decision. This would be my everyday car for everything (work, store, night life)

Below I have listed the 2 cars with options I have considered getting and the Pros/Cons to each. In the end I have to make the decision on my own but I value all you reliable members' input.

135i Coupe
Base – 32980
Delivery – 825

Options
Comfort Access – 455
Auto Trans – 1350
Paint – 500
Premium Package – 3095
M Sport Package – 1185

Total with Tax/Tag/Title & Deal Profit = about $44,000

Concerns with 135i:
  • Too small, I drive a 2001 Toyota Celica and I cant fit people in the back seat. (Although the back looks bigger in 135i)
  • I am young (25 years old) so I like small quick cars, but I am in a professional career (Lawyer), so I don’t want to come off as 18-year-old rice boy. Especially if I need to drive clients or co-workers for some reason (which I probably rarely will)
  • I play ice hockey so my sticks and bags might not fit well (they don’t fit in the Celica I have to place the sticks next to passenger door and be cautious not smash the sticks with the door.
  • Highways, my Celica shakes because of the small wheelbase, I fear that this car, which has a smaller wheelbase, will get sluggish on the highway (Might not be a concerned since its Toyota vs. BMW)
  • Power seats; hate them, nothing worse than trying to let a person into the back and standing there while the seat moves 0.0001 mph forward

Love for 135i:
  • Cheaper, can get more options because of the price (Comfort, Premium etc)
  • Love the design, very unique looking.
  • Cup holders; it actually has them (oppose to 335), I am always drinking something so I NEED a cup holder
  • Rocket ship; love the way it whips around and handles.

335i Coupe
Base – 38,825
Delivery – 825

Options
Auto – 1350
Paint – 500
BMW Assist – 685
Leather – 1320
M Sport – 2925

Total with Tax/Tag/Title & Dealer Profit = 50,500

Concerns:
  • Too big (I know I sound like Goldie Locks); longer and wider then my Celica and concerned it will feel like a tank.
  • Very common, I see 328/335i everywhere.
  • Body kit is not that great, it is pretty nice, had potential but was wasted.
  • Slower than 135i
  • Very pricey; about 6K more than the 135i. Don’t feel justified spending the extra $6K to get a different body type with a similar interior design and same engine.
  • Less options because of price.
  • No cup holders in front, I always have some water or tea with me and not having a place to put drink would drive me nuts
  • Really wanted to keep the out-the-door price below $50,000

Loves for 335i:
  • More Luxurious feel (at a cost of $6K & less options)
  • A lot of room
  • The M Rims are AMAZING
I have test driven both cars and that hasnt been able to make up my mind hence why I am at this fork in the road.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Personally. if you are going for a coupe, then it's the 135. If you want 4 doors, more space for clients, hockey gear etc and a more conservative image, then look at the 335 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah i cant do Sedans, its an eye sore lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Well you pretty much listed everything you need to make your decision. So it's up to you. The 135i is more sportier, nimbler, quicker, etc. The 335i is bigger, more boat like, slower, but more luxurious and roomier. So that's what you have to choose. Smaller and sportier, or bigger and more luxurious.

About your hockey sticks, you can fold down the back seats and I'm confident hockey sticks will fit in the trunk going through the back. The car will not shake on the highway. The only reason for shaking on the highway is your wheels are not balanced or aligned, not because of a shorter wheelbase. By that logic a motorcycle would rattle itself to pieces on the highway. Even though the 1 series is one of the most affordable BMWs, it still doesn't make it commonplace like a civic, so it can hardly be called an 18 year old rice boy car. I believe the average age of 1 series owners is still in the 40's, a few years younger than the 3 series average. If anything, the 3 series is more of a rice boy car since they're MUCH more common, and more 18 year-olds have them since their parents let them drive their 3 series. The 1er is an enthusiast car, with only about 10k being sold in the first year, it is much rarer than the 3 series.
      06-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

well I have the 135i and my bro has a 128i, he puts surfboards in the back by folding down the rear seats and puts a whole bunch of other crap in there too. I have driven with four poeple in the car on a 2.5 hour trip so far and they were all fine, should have an 8 hour trip later this summer when I take her up to tahoe. If I were you I'd just get the 135i with leather and assist and no power seats- that's what my brother's 128i has, plus the sport seats have the only power function you really need as standard, the super bolsters

also- do you have an ipod? if so, definitely get the $400 ipod adapter, well well worth it

edit- yes the 335i is more luxurious and definitely gorgeous but the 135i is so much fun, and I don't think anyone will think your a ricer kid with a 40k plus car
      06-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Hockey sticks are a tough one. I have to put my sons in the front seat but the big still fits in the back even with the top down. But, then again, he's not an adult yet either.

Both are good cars with the 3 having better rear seat room. But, the 1 is a blast and it does not shake at high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
CPSOX
Rep
Drives: 135i Le Mans Blue M Sport

I went through the same pros v cons list as you did. I'm a 28 yr old banker who every blue moon needs to cart clients around. You need something that looks/is professional, yet you want something fun. My wife has a 335i sedan and my first thoughts were a 335i coupe (getting rid of my X3 M Sport). The coupe I had optioned out was $50,850 and I couldn't get rid of any of the options....they were all important to me. You get to a point where you don't want to compromise. The 135i optioned to where I wanted it was $45,500 or so. The extra $5k just didn't make sense when the back seats in the 135i aren't that much less functional than the 335i's and the 135i is faster. Also, the styling of the 335i coupe just doesn't blow me away for a $50k car, while the 135i has a little more cool factor....IMO. My only stumbling block is the perception that the 1 series is "entry" level. To a 45 year old, it's passed off as a mid-life crisis, but to a 20 something it's that you can't afford anything more. I got over that quickly though, I'm very comfortable with what I make at work.

As for the hockey stuff, I play floor hockey (getting OLDER!!!) and I usually throw my sticks in the front seat and bag in the back. I'm told the 135i can hold 2 sets of golf clubs in the truck too....it better!

Good luck in your decision.

CPS
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

To Addict: No i dont have an ipod, I have a G1 Google Phone but there are no songs on it cause im lazy lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
CPSOX
Rep
Drives: 135i Le Mans Blue M Sport

Also, ditch the premium package....it's the only thing I didn't get, but I optioned in the leather seats and bluetooth by themselves. I don't like the power seats either and the lumbar support is uncomfortable on my wife's 335i. Those are the only things of substance if I recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
esses
•
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

I had a very similar dilemma, although I also considered an Audi S5 and the Z4 MCoupe.

First, you should check your local dealerships and BMW incentives. When I priced the cars the actual drive-off for 335s and Z4 Ms were within 2K of the 135, with the S5 being the most expensive of my options.

My lacrosse sticks fit just fine in the truck of my 1, and 1ers do come with a center fold-down in the back (you don't need the cold weather package or anything). Granted these aren't defensive sticks I'm talking about, so they are shorter than the average hockey stick.

The 1 does not shake on the highway, but it does feel a little floaty above 130 or so. Lose the premium option and power seats won't be an issue, not to mention the weight savings. My 1er received very warm welcome in my firm's garage: one of the partners, who drives an M6 among other numerous other 100K+ vehicles, is now considering adding a 1 to his stable. When it comes to events I always hitch a ride, after all, carpooling is good for the firm's PR and "my back seats are just for show." That said, you can fit a couple slim ladies in the back when the situation calls for it.

Stock (heavy) wheels and craptastic RFTs need to go on any of these cars IMO.

Ultimately, for me, Zs, 3s and M3s are all over the place and the S5 can't keep up unless its snowing. My debadged 1er keeps them guessing.

Edit: forget the iPod, get the USB option and a quality flash drive. I have 7000 non-DRM songs at my fingertips.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

You have done your home work. Wish everyone else was this neat!Being 25yrs old, let me save you u some $$'s.Drop the Premium pack, CA, , Paint and automatick.Add to your list the Cold weather package for the "sticks"Add Navi, you gonna have to go out in to the field and find places/thingsThis will save you some $$$$'s. Money to go out and have a great night life.No need to be Driving a 3 and eating cold pizza everynight....
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I have had a couple 3 series and a 1 series and neither have much of a backseat. If I remember correctly, the 1 has more headroom and a little less leg and shoulder room. Obviously, the sedan makes it easier to get in and out of.

I have a 1 convertible and it fits two sets of clubs (note: my clubs have been lengthened, so they are longer than average) if you do not have huge golfbags. I have a picture below that will give you an idea of the size:

The coupe may have a little bit larger trunk..

Personally, I think the 3 and the 1 series are both great cars, so I think it really comes down to a matter of taste.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
To Addict: No i dont have an ipod, I have a G1 Google Phone but there are no songs on it cause im lazy lol
haha, okay. but were you to put songs on it, you could use the usb part of the adapter as well
      06-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

I would go for the 1 series, your only 25 years old, the 1 is a very fun car. I am in the same profession and there is nothing 18 year old like about a $45,000 BMW. Go for the premium package, it really adds a lot of everyday comfort features.
      06-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Can't add much to what's already been said here, except to point out that the perception of back seat size is probably tied to your own height. If you're 5'9" or shorter, and most of your friends are in that ballpark, you'll probably find that the back seats, while small, are quite workable. If you're 6' or taller, and your friends/family are likewise, you'll find it much harder to put more than 2 in the car at any given time.

I'd also add: ditch the premium package and save yourself more money that way. (Leather, if you must had it, can be added separately.) And don't bother with the iDrive/Navi, get yourself a Garmin. I'd also ditch the Comfort Access...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #16
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Can't add much to what's already been said here, except to point out that the perception of back seat size is probably tied to your own height. If you're 5'9" or shorter, and most of your friends are in that ballpark, you'll probably find that the back seats, while small, are quite workable. If you're 6' or taller, and your friends/family are likewise, you'll find it much harder to put more than 2 in the car at any given time.

I'd also add: ditch the premium package and save yourself more money that way. (Leather, if you must had it, can be added separately.) And don't bother with the iDrive/Navi, get yourself a Garmin. I'd also ditch the Comfort Access...
I think you are right. How functional the back seats are really depends on how tall the passengers are. I am a shorter guy so I know that a small-to-medium sized person can always fit behind me. I have a friend on the other hand who is over 6' tall. I doubt anyone will be able to sit behind him and allow both passengers to be comfortable. So in purchasing this car I would realistically say to myself I could carry a maximum of 3 people comfortable. Myself, one person behind me, and a tall passenger. If I decide to make friends with short people then maybe four.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys I am enjoying the input...The scales are tilting in favor of the 135, because of the money factor and the cup holders lol

If I decide to dump the prem and get bmw assisnt + leather I will probably dump the extra thousand on active steering. My only concern with active is "over driving" the car. I don't want to try and dodge a cat and end up completely over steering then rolling into a ditch cause I forgot how touchy the steering was
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Thanks guys I am enjoying the input...The scales are tilting in favor of the 135, because of the money factor and the cup holders lol

If I decide to dump the prem and get bmw assisnt + leather I will probably dump the extra thousand on active steering. My only concern with active is "over driving" the car. I don't want to try and dodge a cat and end up completely over steering then rolling into a ditch cause I forgot how touchy the steering was
Dude, you're 25. Save as much money on these options as you can. Nothing wrong with the standard steering at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Active steering??
No - keep it simple.
M sport package, leather, premium hi-fi, ipod/usb, heated seats - that's it.
Depending on what color you pick, you may also want some carbon fiber goodies later. The cf spoiler is a great dyi part.
      06-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
As my name suggets I play lacrosse (Close D). My sticks are 60" anf fit nicely between the seats.

However, if you want to ask about reliability, well that is another story. Some may love the N54 and I did too, for a while.

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
Jimmydean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe, bare bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Dude, you're 25. Save as much money on these options as you can. Nothing wrong with the standard steering at all.
I agree. I also wonder if it's worth stretching your income at 25 just to have a bimmer. What if you lose your job? Just some thoughts, and plugs for the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #22
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

(I am young (25 years old) so I like small quick cars, but I am in a professional career (Lawyer), so I don’t want to come off as 18-year-old rice boy. Especially if I need to drive clients or co-workers for some reason (which I probably rarely will))

Not that I want to dissuade you from the 135 option. But given your career route you might be taken more seriously professionally with a 335.

Yea it's kind of wrong to be profiling but that's just an observation from the left field.
Appreciate 0