BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
New Dyno: Gpower SKII Supercharger

I had a chance to head over to Gintanti today and had my car dynoed.

We did three pulls but keep in mind that it was 106º today in the valley.

These runs were done in 98ºF.

Best run:
471 HP
345 TQ

Dyno Dynmics

Thank Alex for staying later so we can dyno my car.

I wish it was colder so I could get higher numbers

I will try to get my hands on a scanner this week and upload the image better.

- Josh
      08-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Congrats brotha, that's a fairly low reading dyno too .
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

yep , a cold weather is needed.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

How much boost are you running?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

wow...that pretty damn good....especially w/ weather.. im must of missed you...i was over there at` 130pm... wish i could of watched ...also how much boost you running now?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Good numbers considering the temperature. My car feels like it lost 50hp when it's 100degrees outside like it has been.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Nice congrats
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Good power for that temp
      08-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
emesdub
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

given the weather and the 'heart-break' dyno, those are some nice numbers.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I read everyone talking about the heat. Higher temp = lower density air => less power. However, the whole reason forced induction (back in the early days when it was invented for aircraft) was increase the air density. So the temperature for a forced induction engine (super or turbo charged) should not make much of a difference in power delivery. There is a chance of heat soak the higher the temperature, but other than that how much of a difference could 100 degree temperatures make on an SC engine?

Don't get me wrong, 470+ whp is great, I'm not trying to downplay the numbers. But I doubt it will get much better on a cold day.

Note that this argument won't apply to normally aspirated engines -- higher temperatures (and altitudes) make a significant power drop in NA engines.
      08-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

That's still good considering the temperature.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I read everyone talking about the heat. Higher temp = lower density air => less power. However, the whole reason forced induction (back in the early days when it was invented for aircraft) was increase the air density. So the temperature for a forced induction engine (super or turbo charged) should not make much of a difference in power delivery. There is a chance of heat soak the higher the temperature, but other than that how much of a difference could 100 degree temperatures make on an SC engine?

Don't get me wrong, 470+ whp is great, I'm not trying to downplay the numbers. But I doubt it will get much better on a cold day.

Note that this argument won't apply to normally aspirated engines -- higher temperatures (and altitudes) make a significant power drop in NA engines.
you my friend have no idea on what your talking about !!!!
turbo and supercharged cars have a major enemy and its name is HEAT !!!
if he dynoed in 55 to 65 deg he would gain an other 25 to 35 whp ...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

your guarenteed a 5% loss of power when heat soaked
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Nice numbers congrats and enjoy the beast See you still got that small dip though in the lower RPM's Doesn't look as bad the dip the older 330's had with the supercharger on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #15
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

nice #'s josh. how does it feel compared to your old setup?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #16
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:

Disagree - superchargers increase air mass fed into the engine by compressing air (i.e. by increasing air pressure). When we talk 6PSI as an example, we are talking 6PSI above atmospheric pressure (i.e. a relative measure).

On a cold day, the air mass being fed at atmospheric pressure is greater than on a hot day (assuming all else is constant other than temperature). Because we have greater air mass at atmospheric pressure on the colder day, adding a supercharger running at 6PSI will result in greater output air mass than the same example on a hot day.

In other words, you'd need to run your supercharger at higher boost on a hot day to get the same amount of air mass (power) produced at a lower boost pressure on a cold day. Of course you've never actually do this because higher boost pressure will only cause higher intake temperatures already exacerbated by the higher air temperatures, causing a reduction in timing (and resulting loss in power) or detonation if timing is static.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #17
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #18
onefastdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

That's a great result. I'd love to get one of those. Still, it's hard to believe how much it costs to squeeze more hp out of our M3's. My old 335i made more torque than this G power blown M3 with only $600 in mods (a tune, intake, and race gas). The G power kit must be, what, $15K? This is probably the only thing that I don't like about in my M3, the ridiculous cost to obtain incremental gains in power. I guess I'll just have to get an old 2JZGTE Supra to satisfy my hp junkie needs.
2008 E90 M3 sold
2007 E92 335i (369whp, 354wtq) sold
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #19
xquizit
Iran
Rep
Drives: his parents crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Disagree - superchargers increase air mass fed into the engine by compressing air (i.e. by increasing air pressure). When we talk 6PSI as an example, we are talking 6PSI above atmospheric pressure (i.e. a relative measure).

On a cold day, the air mass being fed at atmospheric pressure is greater than on a hot day (assuming all else is constant other than temperature). Because we have greater air mass at atmospheric pressure on the colder day, adding a supercharger running at 6PSI will result in greater output air mass than the same example on a hot day.

In other words, you'd need to run your supercharger at higher boost on a hot day to get the same amount of air mass (power) produced at a lower boost pressure on a cold day. Of course you've never actually do this because higher boost pressure will only cause higher intake temperatures already exacerbated by the higher air temperatures, causing a reduction in timing (and resulting loss in power) or detonation if timing is static.

kidding, i get it ;]

I miss my e90 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #20
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post

+1

Mixja is correct. A forced induction engine simply feeds the engine with air(positive pressure through a mechanical blower) instead of a vacuum approach used in a naturally aspirated engine.

The increased air mass produced by the supercharger produces will increase the HP & TRQ. This has nothing to do with air density.

The density of the air is dependent on three primary factors. (temperature, moisture (% humidity), and elevation) That is what determines how dense the air will be.

Forcing compressed air into the intake manifold (via centrifugal belt-driven blower), will by it's very nature create more heat. Hot air is naturally less dense, and it contains less oxygen than a cooler denser air. (assuming the same elevation and relative humidity)

Less % oxygen to burn = less power & torque. (for the same MASS air entering the engine)

There is no way around this basic truth. In fact, the more boost (MASS AIR) you attempt to run, the faster you will descend into heat soak. The larger mass of hot air will only create more heat in the combustion chamber as a by-product. The engine oil and water temperatures will become dangerously high, and the engine will shutdown to prevent catastrophic failure in extreme conditions. (via ECU programming) The heat that is being generated by compressing the air through mechanical means, must be shed prior to entering the intake manifold. (or there is going to be a problem)

Whether you use a FMIC (front mounted intercooler) or some type of Water-to-Air charge cooling system, that heat has to be neutralized or dissipated for the engine to make good consistent power. If not, the performance will continue to suffer. The engine will never perform up to it's full potential under those conditions, so simply increasing the boost would be counter-productive. The ECU will pull timing anyway, (once the combustion chamber temps get to high) so it's pointless to use this to compensate. There is no free lunch here.

When the outside air temperature (before entering the blower) is already extremely high, the prospects for making max power is not very realistic. The blower will only make things worse as it compresses the intake charge to create boost. (resulting in even more heat) The ECU will pull ignition timing to prevent detonation (knock), and you are going to lose 15-20% off your PEAK hp and trq numbers. (compared to the ideal air temperature dyno numbers) The difference is pretty dramatic on a forced induction car.

The blower is constantly generating heat, and if the environmental conditions are extreme enough (which appears to be the case in Jon Martin's dyno run) then the performance of the car will reflect that...

The air temperature in his dyno run was already pushing 100 degrees Fahrenheit...before he even started the car. That's a huge impediment to his performance right off the bat. That's also 30+ degrees higher than the ideal air temperature for making max power & trq. (~65 degrees Fahrenheit)
      08-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #21
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Very impressive numbers, on a Dynojet, you would be over 500whp, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:

think intercoolers