New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

Winter Tyres advice appreciated

Hi All

I'm working in the Balkans for the next couple of years and it looks like I am going to have to take on the winter tyres at some point. Being from the UK this is not something I have ever had to deal with before (though we could have done with them last year!).

Bad news initially is that due to mixed rims - I got the Turbine 292s, I need to buy the complete wheel according to the local dealer. For those interested the quote was 635 Euros for Bridgestone and 620 Euros for Pirelli per tyre, this includes fitting labour. Not exactly cheap.

First question. Assuming I am prepared to go 'ugly' for the winter can I fit wheels from a cheaper manufacturer safely? I've got better things to spend the money on frankly. Recommendations welcome!

Second question. Does anyone have experience of using winter tyres much? Any advice on when to fit, significance of advantage etc. appreciated. Outside of town it is pretty hilly/mountainous here with crap roads - it may be that putting the car in the garage for the winter and taking a few taxis / car hire would actually be more cost-effective than purchasing...

Many thanks

Tamman69
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I live in Switzerland, and use winter tyres on my current Z4 every winter. They make a big difference when the road is snowy / slashy, I surely recommend them! Even the highways can get snowy if it snows hard when you are driving, so don't take a chance..

You don't have to be so choosy about the wheels though, for example my summer wheels are 17'' and my winter wheels are 16'', all of them are not run-flat, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

Many thanks Rasputin, from what I hear about the weather they are going to be essential for me!
Appreciate 0