BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Drlbrill
Rep
Drives: 135i

Injector replacement

Background on a problem I had over the last couple of weeks:

I had my 2009 135i garaged during our recent major winter storm here in Virginia. After 4 days I started the car up, and was surprised to find that it idled VERY rough, and would actually stall if I put the car in gear. The SES light was also on. I restarted the car, same symptoms.

The next day that the dealership was open I took it in. The service guys there read out the codes and told me I had a bad injector.. They then attempted to fix the problem by essentially swapping the positions of injectors 2 and 3 in the engine, and resetting the computer. I got called the next day and was told all was well. I rolled in and got my key, started it up and.. guess what? Stalled again. SES light on again.. Needless to say I was disappointed.

They took another look at it and decided that the bad injector needed total replacement, which took another couple of days due to the holiday (I tooled around in a loaner X3 for a while, not bad at all). The new injector seems to have solved the problem completely!

I'm posting this in case anyone gets similar symptoms (hopefully not though)!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Wow, what was the logic behind that?

BMW Tech: "Hey guys, this injector is bad, lets use it in another cylinder and see if it works. Brilliant!"

Next day, customer starts car and the problem persists.

BMW Tech: "Aw shit, I guess when an injector is bad it doesn't work."
Customer: "Really, you think so? Did you guys even test my car after swapping the injector? Do you realize that a FAILED part will not work regardless of its location?"
BMW Tech: "Sir, with all due respect, we are certified BMW technicians and have been through many hours of schooling, but your logic makes no sense to me. Are you telling me that you test a solution before saying it is fixed?"

Customer than proceeds to bring palm to face.

This really is amazing. I hope not every dealership is like this, I have yet to bring my car in for "service".
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
Wow, what was the logic behind that?

BMW Tech: "Hey guys, this injector is bad, lets use it in another cylinder and see if it works. Brilliant!"

Next day, customer starts car and the problem persists.

BMW Tech: "Aw shit, I guess when an injector is bad it doesn't work."
Customer: "Really, you think so? Did you guys even test my car after swapping the injector? Do you realize that a FAILED part will not work regardless of its location?"
BMW Tech: "Sir, with all due respect, we are certified BMW technicians and have been through many hours of schooling, but your logic makes no sense to me. Are you telling me that you test a solution before saying it is fixed?"

Customer than proceeds to bring palm to face.

This really is amazing. I hope not every dealership is like this, I have yet to bring my car in for "service".
+1

Unless they were trying to find an issue upstream of the injectors, their 'logic' makes absolutely zero sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
You'll likely have all six injectors replaced with the new part number before it's over.
When my HPFP went bad, BMW replaced my HPFP,all 6 injectors, and all 6 spark plugs...

And I've been riding good ever since....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Drlbrill
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
You'd think that would be standard practice with the documented problems, but many dealers are only authorized to replace one injector or sparkplug at a time unless they can prove the others are malfunctioning.
That was my understanding of the situation. I was just surprised that the fix didn't end up being the dreaded HPFP.. time will tell!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Add1ction
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '08 135

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one. I've now had all 6 injectors replaced. It started with a rough idle on cold starts and a CEL, but the car would run fine if you got it warmed up. I took it in to have it looked at and, after attempting several things like changing the spark plugs and such, they determined that 3 injectors needed replacing. After a month or two with no problems, I got the exact same cold start issues again and they ended up replacing the other 3 injectors. The dealer was great about it though so hopefully no more issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Why the injectors gone bad so easily? Are they easy to replace yourself? Kind of curious.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0