BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Cars equipped with H&R springs, have you felt a diff after having them for a while?

Ok, so basically I have had my H&R sport springs for over 3k miles. For some reason, the ride feels a little bouncy now and starting to feel a little more body roll. Its still very stiff, but when I hit an imperfection on the road (especially when turning) the car does not feel as stable. Im almost positive this has to do with the springs and the long term use and feel of them. Can other ppl chim in on how their car feels after driving on the springs for a few thousand miles?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Same story here. I've had H&R Sport Springs for about 3k, maybe a lil more. The car is definitely bouncy at high speeds (around 90+). Its definitely not as stable as stock springs when hitting road imperfections, as you mentioned, but at high speeds and straights.

Contrary to what you're experiencing, the car does feel solid (as solid is stock) when turning, even when hitting imperfections. So far I have not had any instabilities during cornering.

At high speeds, its a different story.

I'll be switching out the H&Rs with Coilovers soon.
      01-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

I may have wrote it wrong, but I seem to have the EXACT issues u r having. The car is very solid, its at high speeds that I dont like the feeling. Which coils u planning on going with?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I had these problems. Car didn't feel like a BMW anymore, 100+ was unstable on the freeway.

I switched to eibachs, and all is fixed. Go eibach or dinan, those are for sure fixes.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I had these problems. Car didn't feel like a BMW anymore, 100+ was unstable on the freeway.

I switched to eibachs, and all is fixed. Go eibach or dinan, those are for sure fixes.
What sucks is that I used to have eibachs, and I switched for these cause i wanted to b lower. I guess my only option is to go with a coilover system if I want best of both worlds
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
What sucks is that I used to have eibachs, and I switched for these cause i wanted to b lower. I guess my only option is to go with a coilover system if I want best of both worlds
Yep, you found out the hard way that the additional 0.2" drop (along with the stiffer spring steel that H&R uses) isn't worth the sacrifice in ride quality.

If you are looking for a good coilover kit that doesn't brake the bank, try the TC Kline coilover kit for the E9xM3's. It's reasonably priced, and has excellent ride quality to boot.

Allow me to go off-topic for a moment, because their is something I need to say here about buying aftermarket parts...

The best 'antedote' for a bad purchase decision, is to make a better (more informed one) the next time around.

This is what I started doing after thousands of dollars bad aftermarket part purchases, by a young man who was very naive and impatient. (me)

I focused waaaaaaay too much on what everyone else was doing, and/or the visual aspects of the products I bought. As a result of that misguided approach, I ended up buying (and eventually selling at a loss) a number of aftermarket parts that didn't pan out for one reason or another.

In many cases, I was unhappy with a lot of the products I bought, because I didn't do any pre-purchase research. I got burned time-and-time again for not doing my homework.

Flash forward to the present...and I rarely make a bad purchase decision any more.

That's because I have the knowledge and experience to accurately telegraph what makes one product better or worse for a given application. This is a skill that I have honed over the years, by dedicating myself to finding out every single detail about the parts I want to buy.

I research all of the top contenders in each and every parts category. (NA & FI engine performance mods, suspension parts, tires, wheels, exterior body panels, brakes, etc.) and I compile a database of information based on manufacturing techniques, the technology used to create that part, the material construction of the parts, user reviews, the customer service record, known issues or limitations, and the price points of all those different brands.

I didn't have that ability when I was 21 years old. Not sure it's even possible to have that kind of knowledge and focus at that age, because you're a little more interested in having fun and going out with your friends. At that age, you also haven't lived long enough to have seen or bought enough bad parts yet...so it's unlikely you would see a need to really dive in to find out who makes the best products in a given category. (and why)

It takes years to get a firm grasp of what makes one product better or worse than another, and even then, you have to take a clinical (straightforward) approach that excludes emotion and/or hype. The products in question should be ranked according to their core performance specifications, overall reliability, warranty protection, retail/sales price, the experience of the product manufacturer, and the reviews of the individuals who have purchased those parts in the real world. All the other 'marketing BS' should be completely disregarded.

That's not going to guarantee that you will never be disappointed with a future aftermarket purchase decision, but I can promise you this...

If you try to look at it from that perspective, (regardless of what your "friends" think you should buy), you'll make much better decisions about the aftermarket parts you buy for your car.

The greatest benefit to following my advice, is that you'll have more money to spend on other parts in a different category (like an exhaust), because you're not wasting money by constantly swapping out suspension parts (3 or 4 times) until you 'find' the right one.

Just my .02

Last edited by Lemans_Blue_M; 01-23-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Yep. The exact reason I went with Dinan. I figured H&R would not be suitable for me and I was on the fence with Eibach. Someday I could see going to coilovers but I didn't want to throw EDC out of the mix so soon. In reality, I rarely change the settings so I could see coilovers in my future but maybe I am getting older but I think Dinan is low enough. Right now I am going to OEM+ route on modding but if I get crazy then I could see needing to drop further.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Yep. The exact reason I went with Dinan. I figured H&R would not be suitable for me and I was on the fence with Eibach. Someday I could see going to coilovers but I didn't want to throw EDC out of the mix so soon. In reality, I rarely change the settings so I could see coilovers in my future but maybe I am getting older but I think Dinan is low enough. Right now I am going to OEM+ route on modding but if I get crazy then I could see needing to drop further.
+1 on the bolded text above.

If the aftermarket part you purchased does NOT improve upon the quality and performance of the OEM part that you are replacing....then you are taking a huge step backwards.

It's hard to understand the rationalization that goes on on someone's head, when they select a part that performs worse than the part BMW installed at the factory. (including quality, durability and fitment issues)

Good quality aftermarket parts that are properly engineered for a specific application should be a performance UPGRADE. (not a performance downgrade)

This is a common mistake that many BMW enthusiasts make, and it results in a lot of buying and selling of different aftermarket brands. (to find an aftermarket part that even has the same quality of the OEM part they had on the car to start with)

That type of game plan is a very expensive way to finding the 'right' part, and it's also the most expensive path to take in order to find what you're looking for...

It's not a race guys...

Take your time. See what's out there. Do your homework. And then make your decision.

You shouldn't rush these decisions. Being impatient (not taking the proper amount of time) will cause you to make a number of bad moves. That almost always comes back to haunt you later on.

Explore all your options IN DEPTH before you reach for your checkbook or credit card.
      01-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

Always so informative. Could I solicit your feedback on a potential purchase I have in mind since your inbox seems full? What's your thoughts on the Advan f7? I have a set available locally at a great price. Thx!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
+1 on the bolded text above.

If the aftermarket part you purchased does NOT improve upon the quality and performance of the OEM part that you are replacing....then you are taking a huge step backwards.

It's hard to understand the rationalization that goes on on someone's head, when they select a part that performs worse than the part BMW installed at the factory. (including quality, durability and fitment issues)

Good quality aftermarket parts that are properly engineered for a specific application should be a performance UPGRADE. (not a performance downgrade)

This is a common mistake that many BMW enthusiasts make, and it results in a lot of buying and selling of different aftermarket brands. (to find an aftermarket part that even has the same quality of the OEM part they had on the car to start with)

That type of game plan is a very expensive way to finding the 'right' part, and it's also the most expensive path to take in order to find what you're looking for...

It's not a race guys...

Take your time. See what's out there. Do your homework. And then make your decision.

You shouldn't rush these decisions. Being impatient (not taking the proper amount of time) will cause you to make a number of bad moves. That almost always comes back to haunt you later on.

Explore all your options IN DEPTH before you reach for your checkbook or credit card.
Appreciate 0