BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

No ignition position 2?

The only way I can get my electric tire pump to work from the cigarette lighter is with the engine running. If I push the key in once, twice (acc. and radio on) I get nothing. Is there no ignition position 2 with a push button starter?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Ooh good question, I noticed this too. I was waiting for my wife in the car and wanted the fans to run while I was parked with the engine off, I couldn't figure out how to turn the accessories on, and I didn't see it in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Interesting. I just tried it on my '08 and it works as specified in the manual. With one press of the start button, the radio will operate, but the lighter will not. With a 2nd press - clutch pedal out so the motor doesn't start - the heater fan comes on and the lighter heats up and pops out. So there are clearly two ignition switch positions.

Maybe this has been changed for later years, but it works fine on mine.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Ah ok, I didn't actually hit the starter. Just pushing the key in twice brings on the radio.
Should have read the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

At least on mine that works but not forever. I have tried running my tire pump this way and I can do one, maybe two tires, and then the outlet stops working. Hitting the start button again does not make it start working again. I guess BMW does not want to risk running the battery down or something. So I purchased a cigarette lighter socket with clips to go directly on the battery. I will keep it with the tire pump. Cost was about $7 from Amazon.

Jim
      04-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Interesting. I just tried it on my '08 and it works as specified in the manual. With one press of the start button, the radio will operate, but the lighter will not. With a 2nd press - clutch pedal out so the motor doesn't start - the heater fan comes on and the lighter heats up and pops out. So there are clearly two ignition switch positions.

Maybe this has been changed for later years, but it works fine on mine.

Tom
one press on mine and eveything seems to come on.... 09 128i w/ man trans
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
At least on mine that works but not forever. I have tried running my tire pump this way and I can do one, maybe two tires, and then the outlet stops working. Hitting the start button again does not make it start working again. I guess BMW does not want to risk running the battery down or something. So I purchased a cigarette lighter socket with clips to go directly on the battery. I will keep it with the tire pump. Cost was about $7 from Amazon.
Jim
If it works the same as my BMW motorcycle, the power port is live only for a short time after the ignition is shut off, so in this case the system must sense the power draw and then shut down to save the battery. As I get nervous about that sort of thing, I normally run the motor when operating the convertible top, jump starting another car, inflating a tire etc.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
This is my first BMW and first car with a starter button, and also the first auto I've had in over 10 years, so I just didn't know.

But I figured it out after reading your comment Tom K. With the auto you just put the key in and press the start button without your foot on the brake. Duh.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
This is my first BMW and first car with a starter button, and also the first auto I've had in over 10 years, so I just didn't know.

But I figured it out after reading your comment Tom K. With the auto you just put the key in and press the start button without your foot on the brake. Duh.
Glad I could be of some help - it's in the manual, but frankly I think the description is murky at best. The fact that there are two ignition positions plus start just like any other car is not explained well at all, IMHO.

Since I haven't owned an automatic since a land yacht '73 Plymouth Fury, I'm always trying to remove the key in my wife's car prior to putting the selector lever into Park!

Tom
Appreciate 0