BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Window gremlins

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the windows on my 135i Coupe (no iDrive). The damned things seem to have a mind of their own. Sometimes when I unlock the car and pull on the door handle, the window will half open. Fine, sometimes that's a good thing. But it'd be nice to disable it when it's raining! Then when I get in the car, put the key in the ignition and try to close the window, it'll go up a bit then stop and return to the half open position. Repeat it again, and the same thing happens. Eventually it closes properly, but only after profanity is uttered. And the same thing doesn't happen every time either. The bloody thing is so infuriating. Yes, I did RTFM and that didn't provide any fix.

Is anyone else having this sort of experience? I'm almost hoping I've got some sort of fault in the programming of the windows because at least that can be fixed!
      05-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Hey Bryan,

CONSTANTLY having this issue with the 125i. It is really frustrating too.

I'll often get home, lock the car, go to sleep, wake up in the morning and they'll already be half down.

Other times i'll unlock the car and they'll go half down when i open the door (as you say, in the rain it's bloody annoying).

I have no idea what causes it (someone mentioned to me something about pressing the unlock button twice - all doors - makes them drop upon opening). However, what the hell about locking my car and they go down? That's a terrible security issue i have to deal with
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
nvanorten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140

I had the same issue, and BMW kept my car for four days to fix it. They ended up replacing some of the components of the driver's side electric window.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I think the windows return to the last fixed position at time of ignition kill.

For example...Window in down position at time of engine shut down..Then closing of the window without opening doors whilst engine and ignition shut down..

THEN on re opening the car, the said window returns to the last fixed position..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
I think the windows return to the last fixed position at time of ignition kill.

For example...Window in down position at time of engine shut down..Then closing of the window without opening doors whilst engine and ignition shut down..

THEN on re opening the car, the said window returns to the last fixed position..
Ahhh i see - will go play around with the windows now and see how it goes

So from what i gather Joe;
1. Turn car off with windows half down
2. Get out, lock car, use key fob to wind up windows as you walk away
3. Return to car, open car, windows go to halfway down again.

I think that's what you're saying?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Ahhh i see - will go play around with the windows now and see how it goes

So from what i gather Joe;
1. Turn car off with windows half down
2. Get out, lock car, use key fob to wind up windows as you walk away
3. Return to car, open car, windows go to halfway down again.

I think that's what you're saying?
Correct Alex..More even, closing the windows whilst still seated in the car with ignition off..

You can still close windows with ignition off until you open a door.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I thought it you double-click the unlock on the fob, the windows will crack down halfway when you open the door? Will check on my way to the car tonight...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I thought it you double-click the unlock on the fob, the windows will crack down halfway when you open the door? Will check on my way to the car tonight...
They do!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Can't you turn it off? I am pretty sure there's an option to turn that off on the iDrive, so I would assume there's a way of turning it off without one?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the suggestion Joe. However I have never locked the doors with the windows half closed. Always lock with the windows up fully. I've searched the manual and the car settings via the dash display, can't find any fix there either. If I can't figure it out, I'll be asking to get it looked at during my next service.
      05-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #11
nvanorten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140

The window issue that you have described is not influenced by the user. It is a problem with the sensor / motor that detects something getting caught as the window winds up. As mentioned earlier BMW replaced certain parts on my driver's side door and I no longer suffer the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Joe. However I have never locked the doors with the windows half closed. Always lock with the windows up fully.
Sorry Bryan.. What I meant was turning off the ignition while you are still seated in the car with the window half closed. Then before opening the door to exit, you close the windows while the ignition is still switched off.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
The windows shouldn't take any notice of what position they were in when you turned off the car. If you put them up, even after turning off the car, they should stay up.

The ability to click unlock twice and have the windows slide halfway down when you open the door is a feature to make ingress easier in tight parking spaces. When you close the door the window goes back up.

Holding the unlock button will put the windows down. Holding the lock button will put the windows up (in all markets except US I think - blame lawsuits).

Again, there should be no spontaneous window-movement except in the double-click case and the usual crack down and up when you open the door. It sounds like the OP has a fault.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm not having an issue with the windows going up or down, however, I do have a very defined, thin scratch on both the driver's and passenger's windows that runs up the length of the rear edge. It almost looks like something within the door is scratching it.
      05-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

Definitely sounds like I've got a fault with the window obstruction sensor. Will get it sorted by SA. Thanks!
      05-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Can't you turn it off? I am pretty sure there's an option to turn that off on the iDrive, so I would assume there's a way of turning it off without one?
Yes in iDrive you can turn the half-down function off by setting one of the door/window lock/unlock settings to NOT "convenience". I think the idea is that it's easier to get into the car if the window is half-down and you're in a really tight space. I'm sure there's a way to set it without iDrive too...

As for the window going back down, that just sounds like a botched obstruction sensor as Guran suggested.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Definitely sounds like I've got a fault with the window obstruction sensor. Will get it sorted by SA. Thanks!
Well...My windows def behave the way I mentioned..

Either its a vert setting or I will be visiting the dealer aswell...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
CeeJay
Private
Rep
Drives:

Have the same problem as Guran.
Hopefully will be fixed now its at the dealers to get the fuel pump,rear light and wiper washers looked at as well....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #19
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

You can fix this yourself using iDrive - Settings, Vehicle and Tyres, Door Locks. Select anything other than "Convenience" and you will no longer have the windows wind down when you double-click the unlock button on your remote.
      05-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Looks like i'm off to the dealer too :/
Appreciate 0