BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Cons of coilovers

One of the first modifications that people seem to do is buy coilovers for their car. I'm sure it's obviously that the handling improvements and ability to adjust ride height and damping is the major reason for this. I was curious to know if there's any benefit i'm missing?

More importantly, what are the downsides (other than initial cost)?

Do they last as long as the stock setup?

Thanks.

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

The only downside I can see is the potential to void your warranty on the suspension. If you have problems with your suspension, your dealer may blame the coilovers for the problem and not cover the repair under warranty. This could happen even if the coilovers had nothing to do with the problem. If your dealer is reasonable with tolerating mods and/or you have a good relationship with your SA, then you might be OK. Regardless, it's still a warranty risk. If you're not planning to track the car, I would not go with coilovers. Good luck!

Past: E30 M3 /// E28 M5 /// E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredVMI View Post
The only downside I can see is the potential to void your warranty on the suspension. If you have problems with your suspension, your dealer may blame the coilovers for the problem and not cover the repair under warranty. This could happen even if the coilovers had nothing to do with the problem. If your dealer is reasonable with tolerating mods and/or you have a good relationship with your SA, then you might be OK. Regardless, it's still a warranty risk. If you're not planning to track the car, I would not go with coilovers. Good luck!
+1

I would personally not touch the suspension if I were not planning on tracking it hard. Occasional track days don't even warrant coilovers and its more for the serious track enthousiast.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
jaybird124
Major
Rep

As I'm closing in on purchasing an M, I've just been reading through common mods. Just trying to figure out why certain mods were done and the pros and cons.

95% of the time I would just use it for spirited driving, 5% an occasional track day. Just curious what mods were worth while to tighten up and already fantastic performer.

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Don't go the C/O route if you aren't familiar with suspension set-up. After a couple of times adjusting your ride height, you'll have the corner balance so messed up the car will drive like a Toyota truck with one bad shock and a broken spring.

A coil over set-up needs to be corner balanced since it is possible to load the individual wheels differently depending on how you adjust the spring perches.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post

A coil over set-up needs to be corner balanced since it is possible to load the individual wheels differently depending on how you adjust the spring perches.
i dont think it has to be done every time, but if you plan to drive aggressive and expect excellent handling in return, then yes.

that is a good point too because when i got my coils way back when, i didnt realize at the time that a corner balance and alignment would be needed every time you adjust the height of the coils.

these things and the costs associated with them are the cons i would relate with coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
jaybird124
Major
Rep

Grills and gills aside, I'm not much into visual mods.

What would yall recommend as 'low hanging fruit' for modifying an M3 other than exhaust?
Dinan Stage 1 suspension?
I wish the car had more steering feel (even in sport mode).

I thought it was interesting that no one has squared up the tires like IND did in Project Oregon Gold Rush (275/40-18 all around).
I'm rambling, but getting y'alls input on mods would be great!

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

People haven't gone square because this car has a tendency to hang the tail out easily.
As for Dinan Stage 1, just get Eibach springs, E36 M3 bump stops and you're almost there. You would just need to shave down the spring hats to be there. Don't know how hard that would be to do.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
Prit@Euro Autowerx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Corner balanced is highly recommended along with alignment after install. The only downside here is if you paid for your EDC as there is no coilover on the market that will retain the EDC funtion.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
jaybird124
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
People haven't gone square because this car has a tendency to hang the tail out easily.
As for Dinan Stage 1, just get Eibach springs, E36 M3 bump stops and you're almost there. You would just need to shave down the spring hats to be there. Don't know how hard that would be to do.
Obviously, a lot would have to do with the driver's level of skill, but I've heard more complaints about it's tendency to understeer. Which was the reason IND squared up the car. What do you think?
What do you think are the best mods for the street M3?

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I am sure the balance of the car would be off after installing springs only. Bad thing is I don't think you could corner balance a car lowered on springs.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228

Last edited by jimmyeatsworld; 05-17-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Cons: more money for c/o than springs, not being able to use edc, and money for corner balance.

I want to add that I lowered the car for aesthetics initally, and for performance. I personally like to keep my oem parts intact for resale thus going the c/o route. If you are not getting aftermarket wheels I would not lower the car. I wouldn't ruin the handling of the car if I had the choice.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228

Last edited by jimmyeatsworld; 05-17-2010 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
jaybird124
Major
Rep

So if suspension is out, what would you modify?

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Don't go the C/O route if you aren't familiar with suspension set-up. After a couple of times adjusting your ride height, you'll have the corner balance so messed up the car will drive like a Toyota truck with one bad shock and a broken spring.

Coilovers can be a great modification which can grow with your skills as you go. Each coilover also has a recommended setting from the factory so it'll be pretty tough to get a coilover setup completely off balance unless you don't plan on following the instructions that it came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeatsworld View Post
I am sure the balance of the car would be off after installing springs only. Bad thing is I don't think you could corner balance a car lowered on springs.
Corner balancing can only be performed on a vehicle that has coilovers. The car needs to have reight height adjustability to get it corner balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeatsworld View Post
Cons: more money for c/o than springs, not being able to use edc, and money for corner balance.

I want to add that I lowered the car for aesthetics initally, and for performance. I personally like to keep my oem parts intact for resale thus going the c/o route. If you are not getting aftermarket wheels I would not lower the car. I wouldn't ruin the handling of the car if I had the choice.
That's what a lot of our customers say about the keeping their dampers and springs for the next customer for a higher resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
So if suspension is out, what would you modify?
I don't think you should be too scared to modify this car. It was that way when the E46 M3 first came out and it's apparently the same way with the E9X M3 too. Rightfully so though, it's a very expensive car! However, suspension is one of those items that can be reversed completely. When installed correctly, there's no real reason it would damage the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
Obviously, a lot would have to do with the driver's level of skill, but I've heard more complaints about it's tendency to understeer. Which was the reason IND squared up the car. What do you think?
What do you think are the best mods for the street M3?
This car has no significant tendency to understeer. This ain't no e46 M3.

I've run a square set-up for over 30k miles with several track days. I still think maximizing the front and rear rubber is the way to go for track days. I run 265 in front and 295 in the rear for track, now.

Ground-Control sells an EDC compatible coil-over set-up. It has to stay relatively mild as far as spring rates go due to stock damping rates.

I'm a fan of the Dinan stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

This car definitely has a tendency to oversteer not understeer.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm very happy with the Dinan Stage 1. My car is not tracked so I didnt go with coilovers. Most of the other guys that work down here at tuning shops that have worked on my car agree that the Dinan works very well with the EDC. It is a bit pricier but alot of guys have said the H&R's handle terrible. Most said the Eibachs are the best low cost alternative if the Dinan is too pricey. I went with the piece of mind knowing that if BMW won't fix a suspension issue, Dinan will. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

IMO, the only downside to coils is cost. Other then that, they are simply the best solution.
Pick your coilover carefully though, one that will match your driving style and fit your needs.
      05-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
jaybird124
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamie92m3 View Post
I'm very happy with the Dinan Stage 1. My car is not tracked so I didnt go with coilovers. Most of the other guys that work down here at tuning shops that have worked on my car agree that the Dinan works very well with the EDC. It is a bit pricier but alot of guys have said the H&R's handle terrible. Most said the Eibachs are the best low cost alternative if the Dinan is too pricey. I went with the piece of mind knowing that if BMW won't fix a suspension issue, Dinan will. Good luck
where have you noticed a difference?

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #20
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

To be honest, if you never see the track, there is absolutely no point to get a coil over kit. The stock suspension is tuned to both comfort and sportiness to perfection by zee M engineers...

If you see the track less than a handful of times a year, the most I would go for is perhaps adding some more camber by 1) lowering springs and/or 2) fixed camber plates. (or just pull the pins on the front upper guide support)

Can you do better than stock? Sure. A well-designed, higher-end coil over kit (i.e. 2-way adjustable kits) can definitely be more capable than the stock suspension. However, it is just as important to tune them in correctly (i.e. ride height, camber, toe, damping), so you must either have a good fundamental understanding of car suspension and/or know someone who does.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #21
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
To be honest, if you never see the track, there is absolutely no point to get a coil over kit. The stock suspension is tuned to both comfort and sportiness to perfection by zee M engineers...

If you see the track less than a handful of times a year, the most I would go for is perhaps adding some more camber by 1) lowering springs and/or 2) fixed camber plates. (or just pull the pins on the front upper guide support)

Can you do better than stock? Sure. A well-designed, higher-end coil over kit (i.e. 2-way adjustable kits) can definitely be more capable than the stock suspension. However, it is just as important to tune them in correctly (i.e. ride height, camber, toe, damping), so you must either have a good fundamental understanding of car suspension and/or know someone who does.
+1.
If you do track and get coils, there are plenty of race shops that can help you set up the car.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #22
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post

Before you speak so sternly, have you driven in all the different coilover options? Namely KW, those ride more comfortably than stock suspension plus provide better handling. The reason there is an aftermarket industry is because there is always room for improvement.

Comparing the suspension on an M3 vs a pinto is not apples to apples.
Appreciate 0