BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
Want to lower my competition package M3. Which springs?

Ok I know this topic has been beaten to death but my car has the comp pckg so the suspension differs. I want to know, does the comp pckg just have shorter springs than the standard M3 or are other things different? Example: if a spring lowers a standard M3 by 1.0 inch, will it lower the comp pckg by 1.0" even though it's 1.0 CM (0.4") lower from factory, or will it lower it by 0.6" (1.0 - 0.4)?

I'm thinking Eibach springs as they seem to be the safest/favourite here, but would like a more aggressive drop so I'm considering RDSport springs. How is the peformance of the RDSports? I searched and couldn't find any reviews. I would love to just put KW coils on and be done with it but want to keep EDC. Your input plz!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I don't think anyone here actually knows what changed to lower the comp package cars. It could be springs, it could be struts, it could be a few things. (it's probably springs)

If the struts are the same, the Eibachs will fit and lower the car by .4" (the Eibachs are quoted as lowering the car .8") But, that is a big if, I don't know what the struts are like. Best thing you can do is to try it out and let the community know. I bet that it's both the springs and the struts and that the Eibachs will lower it more than .4" but how much more depends on a lot. And, it'd be guessing coming from me
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about a month or two ago where the regular suspension gurus on here deconstructed the Edition suspension (same 10 mm drop) pretty thoroughly

maybe try another search on the Edition instead of the Comp - same rules should apply on the springs
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

1- Ground Control Coilover Conversion Kit http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385429

2- Dinan Kit

3- Eibach

In that order
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

i find that a waste. what's the point of getting zcp if you're going to change the suspension anyways. such a waste..
      06-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

It would be great if you could take some part numbers and reference measurements when you change it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I've searched the Edition suspension and there seems to be some conflicting info. Some say the springs are the same while others say they are shorter, same with the struts. I'll just try putting on some Eibachs.
I don't see how it is a waste. I got the comp pckg for the wheels and extra tech. The car sits too high for my taste and is too soft even on stiffest EDC. Maybe cuz I'm used to my E46 dropped on KWs..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. KW is known for their reinforced and durable suspension components. KW's coilovers have been carefully crafted and designed by studying the flaws of competitors and improving on them. In addition KW coilovers can go lower than just about any other brand and allow you to set your car to a "slammed look", "sporty look", or anywhere in between. In the unfortunate event that anything should happen to your coilovers, KW's warranty backs all their products from manufacturer's defect.

A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

I'll shoot you over a PM with more details !

- Alan
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
E92M3Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 M3

Daft: The best thing to do is to call up eibach and see what they say bc they would know best how there springs work with the factory shocks. I wouldn't bother listening to 3rd party vendors bc all they want is for your to spend more money so they get better commission on cash.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I think you are better off getting the Ground Control Spring Coilover kit if you want to keep your EDC shocks.
You can adjust the height, it comes with camber plates, proper sway bar links, and it allows you to corner balance the car to optimize the handling.
      06-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I think you are better off getting the Ground Control Spring Coilover kit if you want to keep your EDC shocks.
You can adjust the height, it comes with camber plates, proper sway bar links, and it allows you to corner balance the car to optimize the handling.
Ya I was considering this setup. Where can I buy the GC kit?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
Ya I was considering this setup. Where can I buy the GC kit?
Get it directly from GC, that way you can discuss your needs with them and they can set you up with the right spring rates.
      06-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #13
ATI Gauge Solutions
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

H&R Sport Springs

We built our M3 for SEMA last year and track the car regularly (just ran Button Willow this past weekend at the Mackin event).

The M3 we built represents top tier manufacturer's and will be featured in this upcoming EuroTuner.

When we first got the car, we simply changed the springs to see how much improvement we could get. We went with the H&R Sport Springs and within the first hour, we realized the springs didn't help much (just our opinion). They just felt a bit soft for us.

We then went to our long time sponsor, KW, and chose to go with a full on upgrade. We ultimately went with the KW ClubSport and they've been on the car since last October.

The car has spent many hours on the track since that time and I must say, the performance has been very good. The M3 is driven on the streets mostly and there are no clear disadvantages. But the advantages on the track seem pretty clear.

So if you're looking for a suspension upgrade, I agree with come of the comments here. You get what you pay for. Suspension is a key ingredient to performance and if you truly want to see significant improvements, go with something reliable and trustworthy. KW was the choice for us.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #14
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Go KW or bilstein PSS10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI Gauge Solutions View Post
We built our M3 for SEMA last year and track the car regularly (just ran Button Willow this past weekend at the Mackin event).

The M3 we built represents top tier manufacturer's and will be featured in this upcoming EuroTuner.

When we first got the car, we simply changed the springs to see how much improvement we could get. We went with the H&R Sport Springs and within the first hour, we realized the springs didn't help much (just our opinion). They just felt a bit soft for us.

We then went to our long time sponsor, KW, and chose to go with a full on upgrade. We ultimately went with the KW ClubSport and they've been on the car since last October.

The car has spent many hours on the track since that time and I must say, the performance has been very good. The M3 is driven on the streets mostly and there are no clear disadvantages. But the advantages on the track seem pretty clear.

So if you're looking for a suspension upgrade, I agree with come of the comments here. You get what you pay for. Suspension is a key ingredient to performance and if you truly want to see significant improvements, go with something reliable and trustworthy. KW was the choice for us.

I am not a fan of springs. Go with a full coil over kit and you will have no regrets! KW or Bilstein

JMHO
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
I've searched the Edition suspension and there seems to be some conflicting info. Some say the springs are the same while others say they are shorter, same with the struts. I'll just try putting on some Eibachs.
I don't see how it is a waste. I got the comp pckg for the wheels and extra tech. The car sits too high for my taste and is too soft even on stiffest EDC. Maybe cuz I'm used to my E46 dropped on KWs..
We definitely came to the conclusion, supported by various first- and third-party vendors who carry the parts, that both the shocks and springs are different on the Competition and Edition cars. All other suspension components are the same. FWIW, I'm in the middle of upgrading my '09 to Japanese/Edition/ZCP suspension (sans the EDC changes on the ZCP).
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I guess I'll be the guinea pig here and put on a set of springs. I'm thinking of the B&G springs. If I really don't like the ride feel I'll just say the hell with EDC and put on some KW clubsports or Motons which will be totally wasteful of getting the comp pckg, oh well...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #17
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I have had the Ground Control coilover conversion kit for a little over a week and love it. If you are condiering tracking the car this might be a way to keep EDC and still have a significant handling improvement. Much better than H&R for the street.
      06-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
...I searched and couldn't find any reviews...

The aftermarket springs available for sale at the time of the ZCP launch do not take into consideration the 10mm height difference, so your car won't be any lower than what the aftermarket manufacturer's spec states. With ZCP the springs are shorter and have a slightly different spring rate, the shocks remain the same, only the programming that monitors & adjusts the piezo-electric shocks is different to compensate for the height difference and offer a sportier version of the "Sport" edc setting.

As far as advice goes and as one of the earliest installers of RD Springs back in March of '08, I have quite a bit of experience with them. I won't be installing any aftermarket springs on my '11 ZCP and wouldn't advise you to either.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB

Last edited by OC ///M; 06-22-2010 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #19
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post

The aftermarket springs available for sale at the time of the ZCP launch do not take into consideration the 10mm height difference, so your car won't be any lower than what the aftermarket manufacturer's spec states. With ZCP the springs are shorter and have a slightly different spring rate, the shocks remain the same, only the programming that monitors & adjusts the piezo-electric shocks is different to compensate for the height difference and offer a sportier version of the "Sport" edc setting.

As far as advice goes and as one of the earliest installers of RD Springs back in March of '08, I have quite a bit of experience with them. I won't be installing any aftermarket springs on my '11 ZCP and wouldn't advise you to either.
Shocks are different too, not just springs.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Shocks are different too, not just springs.
Thanks for the clarification aajami. I had only read the original BMW bulletin. Software and hardware changed.

After running a quick SEARCH, I found some good info for the OP and us all, in this thread beginning ~ page 5.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB

Last edited by OC ///M; 06-23-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #21
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

I put Eibach springs in my 2011 ZCP Sedan and they are great....... perfect stance IMO and the ride is nearly the same as stock!!!.