BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
scottEdog1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

calling out those with Vanguard Exhaust

1)Do you still like the exhaust?
2)Do you find it intrusive in the cabin at any RPM range - I have red some mixed reviews on "NO drone" and drone from 1500 - 2200 loud "booming" bassyness
Whats the real confirmation here on drone?
3)Hows fit and finish, also
4)can you hear it when you step on it?
5)how are the welds holding up? I heave had experience in the past with ti exhausts cracking. Does Vanguard come with Warranty on its builds and quality of the TI they use?

So far I just can't make a choice between the Akra and an eissenman sport
or the vanguard and UUC

Here is my thinking:
I love how UUC and Vanguard have a higher pitch in the videos at least and are not "supposed" to drone -
I like the look of Vanguard but worried about the unit failing or cracking after a year of DD- I do not like the tips on UUC all that much

I like the eissenman and how it sounds as well, and the Akras is all about quality being the type of Ti they use /no drone and not overly loud - I just do not like its price nor does it sound "to me" as sexy to me as the others from outside the car in videos and reviews.
I ned to make a decision here....
      03-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i had the vanguard for about 8 months or less.
really liked it, its louder than i thought when buying it, but sounded great with no porblems driving it all day thru the city.
sounded nice when u get on it, and a little boomy around 2k if i can rmbr - i never found it bothersome,

quality was great as was the weight, loved the ti burnt tips.

i am running a different setup now so this is by memory...
thanks
      03-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010

sounds good, not bothersome at all, pretty quiet btw 2.2k - 2.8k rpm, sounds pefect at ~2k rpm, no problem driving in the city, no drone, welding is good (so far), you def can hear it when you step on it, and love the exhaust.
but... i'm kinda young so i wanted something louder, so i recently got gintani x-pipe. all i want to say is God bless gintani + vanguard.
if u have specific question, feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottEdog1 View Post
1)Do you still like the exhaust?
yes.
2)Do you find it intrusive in the cabin at any RPM range - I have red some mixed reviews on "NO drone" and drone from 1500 - 2200 loud "booming" bassyness
Whats the real confirmation here on drone?
1500-2200 isn't drone, it's kind of little resonance. I don't find that's problem.

3)Hows fit and finish, also
Good. But the exhaust is hanged by clamps, so remember check it again after install. RennSpec installed mine, they didn't adjust the exhaust tips correctly, so the tips melt the bumper.
4)can you hear it when you step on it?
Yes.
5)how are the welds holding up? I heave had experience in the past with ti exhausts cracking. Does Vanguard come with Warranty on its builds and quality of the TI they use?
I don't know about warranty. I'm pretty sure they are made in China since I know where this kind of Ti comes from. The quality is pretty good, no worry. They are real Ti, not BS.
Hope that help.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
i had the vanguard for about 8 months or less.
really liked it, its louder than i thought when buying it, but sounded great with no porblems driving it all day thru the city.
sounded nice when u get on it, and a little boomy around 2k if i can rmbr - i never found it bothersome,

quality was great as was the weight, loved the ti burnt tips.

i am running a different setup now so this is by memory...
thanks
Niqui, what did you change to?
      03-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

I've had mine on the car for about a month, but I've only put around 500 miles on it. That said, I cannot comment on how it sounds at WOT or over 5500 RPM, the car has been babied... Fit and finish are very nice, had no problems with the installation or the tips being misaligned.

It sounds great at startup, and I have not been bothered by any drone while driving. I wouldn't call it loud by any means, it's just a little louder/more aggressive than stock. The system is a far cry from the UUC System U exhaust that I am running on my E36 M3 which makes conversations difficult at times. This setup is much more livable and I can easily talk on the phone using Bluetooth with no problems. I've been thinking about getting an x-pipe to increase the volume a bit. The Vanguard by itself is a little too tame for me.

I'm going in for my break in service tomorrow so hopefully I can take some better video this soon. Looks like I'm going to need a camera mount...

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

hmmm, so it would seem Vanguard and the Akra Slip-on are good for cabin noise, drone, and improved sound over stock.....
      03-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
hmmm, so it would seem Vanguard and the Akra Slip-on are good for cabin noise, drone, and improved sound over stock.....
and no more ugly muffler view from the rear...

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash8 View Post
Niqui, what did you change to?