BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Just how loud is Dinan exhaust?

As I'm on my mission to find my next exhaust, I'm hoping those of you with Dinan experience, specifically axle-back can weigh in on just how it sounds in person?? Any references to compare it to AA, Akra, Eisenmann Sport would be greatly appreciated as I'm familiar with the tone and volume of all of those.. Thanks.
      03-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

subscribed to all of your threads as I'm curious to see what you end up with (again)

GL with your search...
      03-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
xiliy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ride BMC

To op: i have dinan if you interested in a trade for akra let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
As I'm on my mission to find my next exhaust, I'm hoping those of you with Dinan experience, specifically axle-back can weigh in on just how it sounds in person?? Any references to compare it to AA, Akra, Eisenmann Sport would be greatly appreciated as I'm familiar with the tone and volume of all of those.. Thanks.
Sorry to be slightly off topic when I say that, although I like Dinan stuff because it's conservative and well thought out, I'm not a big fan of their axle-back strictly from an asthetic basis. IMO, the tips dont look good and unless I had way too much to drink (which happens frequently) two of them are actually dummies. The problem with the dummy tips is that they never match the active ones; two have carbon, two dont.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Sorry to be slightly off topic when I say that, although I like Dinan stuff because it's conservative and well thought out, I'm not a big fan of their axle-back strictly from an asthetic basis. IMO, the tips dont look good and unless I had way too much to drink (which happens frequently) two of them are actually dummies. The problem with the dummy tips is that they never match the active ones; two have carbon, two dont.
I know, the fake tips bother me too, but all the videos sound pretty good and I like what people who own it say about it.
      03-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
subscribed to all of your threads as I'm curious to see what you end up with (again)

GL with your search...
haha... me too... Just haven't been able to get the perfect mix of aggressive and a little loud from outside, but nice and quiet for long drives inside. When I had HFC's and Xpipe with my Akra it was pretty much perfect in this respect, but I'm sick of the CEL issue and don't want to mess with the Cats any more for inspection purposes. Definitely not tuning my ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiliy View Post
To op: i have dinan if you interested in a trade for akra let me know.
Pretty sure I can buy a brand new Dinan for less than my used Akra can sell for.

Why are you looking to trade for Akra instead?
      03-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I know, the fake tips bother me too, but all the videos sound pretty good and I like what people who own it say about it.
Agreed. I never met anyone who has it and doesnt like it (a lot)

SehrSchnell has all Dinan stuff and lives in NY somewhere. Maybe check it out?

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post

GL with your search...

Smart Man

J08M3 has had more real-life experience with M3 exhausts than, friggin', Dr Kay Segler

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
So my story was that I had originally planned to go with the full AA exhaust because Dinan seemed like it was going to be too quiet. But then I read all these posts about the full AA system being to loud, etc. I knew I wanted mid-pipes and exhaust back because I wanted performance as well as sound. So I went to my shop guy who took me in two full dinan exhaust M3s, one with a DCT, one 6MT.

Let me tell you, these are plenty loud. Its not quiet like the videos. It rumbles loud on idle, but not obnoxiously. It is obviously louder throughout 2k - 5k range and then takes on a beautiful roar above 6k. I haven't heard the just axle-back so I can't provide any help there. But for the full system, I think it sounds absolutely beautiful. Inside the cabin, it sounds like a throaty V8 engine, not the electric, quiet stock sound the M comes with. But there's no "drone" whatsoever, just a subtly deeper and more powerful tone, as the car should sound. Open the windows though and its a whole different game about 5k.. sounds excellent.

And beyond the sound, the pull of the car is drastically increased. You're pushed hard into the back of the seat up to 8600 on the DCT, and in the 6MT, I was literally tossed into the back of the seat. The car has much more torque down low as well, but "re-slammed" me into the seat back as we hit 6k and held me there till shift at redline. The 6mt also had throttle bodies, Dinan's 4.something differential, and intake so there was definitely added power from that as well - but this just went to my switching to Dinan exhaust as well... I'm planning on doing all Dinan upgrades. But the DCT felt like a new car as well, and certainly sounded like one - so much deeper, but still perfectly refined inside the cabin.

So in case you didn't get where I'm going with this, I immediately cancelled my AA order and have the full Dinan exhaust coming in this week. I haven't heard the AA in person so I have nothing to compare it, but I can't stop raving about this Dinan set up. Despite the two inactive tips, the exhaust is the best looking one out there in my opinion just to cap it all off.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry just posted as soon as I saw your opening post, but as I've said before, all cars contain "stylings" that aren't necessarily on the car for any reason other than visual effect. The M would look like a 335 with two tips and for that reason, of course you'd want the 4 tips. But read about what Dinan wrote concerning their set-up; makes very valid sense as to why they would do it the way they did. And beyond the performance factor of it; the tips looks incredible on the car. They are all dark and even after heavy use (as proven to me by viewing the two test cars in the aforementioned post), the inactive tips don't look any different than the active ones.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
So my story was that I had originally planned to go with the full AA exhaust because Dinan seemed like it was going to be too quiet. But then I read all these posts about the full AA system being to loud, etc. I knew I wanted mid-pipes and exhaust back because I wanted performance as well as sound. So I went to my shop guy who took me in two full dinan exhaust M3s, one with a DCT, one 6MT.

Let me tell you, these are plenty loud. Its not quiet like the videos. It rumbles loud on idle, but not obnoxiously. It is obviously louder throughout 2k - 5k range and then takes on a beautiful roar above 6k. I haven't heard the just axle-back so I can't provide any help there. But for the full system, I think it sounds absolutely beautiful. Inside the cabin, it sounds like a throaty V8 engine, not the electric, quiet stock sound the M comes with. But there's no "drone" whatsoever, just a subtly deeper and more powerful tone, as the car should sound. Open the windows though and its a whole different game about 5k.. sounds excellent.

And beyond the sound, the pull of the car is drastically increased. You're pushed hard into the back of the seat up to 8600 on the DCT, and in the 6MT, I was literally tossed into the back of the seat. The car has much more torque down low as well, but "re-slammed" me into the seat back as we hit 6k and held me there till shift at redline. The 6mt also had throttle bodies, Dinan's 4.something differential, and intake so there was definitely added power from that as well - but this just went to my switching to Dinan exhaust as well... I'm planning on doing all Dinan upgrades. But the DCT felt like a new car as well, and certainly sounded like one - so much deeper, but still perfectly refined inside the cabin.

So in case you didn't get where I'm going with this, I immediately cancelled my AA order and have the full Dinan exhaust coming in this week. I haven't heard the AA in person so I have nothing to compare it, but I can't stop raving about this Dinan set up. Despite the two inactive tips, the exhaust is the best looking one out there in my opinion just to cap it all off.
I see you finally came to your senses and got back in the Dinan camp OP, the sound is very hard to describe. You need to hear it upclose and personal.......jmflukeiii wasn't sold until he heard it. All of us who have Dinan can speak in high regard for the product, but that won't do you any good until you hear it...........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I see you finally came to your senses and got back in the Dinan camp OP, the sound is very hard to describe. You need to hear it upclose and personal.......jmflukeiii wasn't sold until he heard it. All of us who have Dinan can speak in high regard for the product, but that won't do you any good until you hear it...........Phil
Lol... yes I strayed from the correct path for a moment, but fortunately came around. I'm twice as excited as before because I know not only the sound and performance I'm getting beforehand, but also the piece of mind and "BMW feel" of the Dinan parts.

Highly agree... too many people saying "its quiet" really means nothing. I heard it, and for me, it's absolutely perfect. I guess some people just really like a loud exhaust, but the more I thought about it, I didn't want to be that guy buzzing through an intersection; I want that low, but noticeable rumble to signify a strong V8, and to keep that sound during normal "civil" driving. But then I want to it to take off once I get on the throttle and after driving those Dinan cars, that is exactly what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Can anyone who's actually heard in person, comment on the sound levels between Dinan axle-back vs. Akra slip-on?
      03-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f82 m4

i had dinan rear axle only, the sound was nice and it seem to growl more at lower rpm. When i got up in the 5k rpm it sound more like the engine was screaming then the exhaust. I now i have the aaxpipe with dinan rear and it louder on start up, but calms after it warms up , crusing sound the same not too loud. WOT at 5k rpm the exhaust is alot louder ( nice sounding ) but overall i like it alot. I had the dinan stage 2 tunes so no cell lights for me. My only regret is somtime the smells gives me a headace haha. Good luck bro!
o yeah and my car makes some wierd gun shot sound when i down shift
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Dinan muffler is very very slightly louder than akra slip on IMO. To me my dinan muffler with AA xpipe and HFC is still more quiet than the eisen race to give you an idea. Hope that helps The AA muffler along sounds louder than my setup.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Where in NY are you? I have the full exhaust system (free-flow and x-pipe)... the free-flow exhaust without the x-pipe is very civil; not too loud, no drone, and if you keep it under 3K it's not really any louder than the stock exhaust. After 3K is sounds a lot more raspy and exotic.

If you add the x-pipe (best mod ever) the exhaust noise increases... by a lot. A cold start-up will make people look... sounds like an old-school muscle car - deep V8 rumble. Driving below 3K is still civil enough that you don't get dirty looks, or tickets. Put your foot down and the gates of hell will open up - turning carbon dioxide into a symphony of evil.
I would love to hear the full setup. Although, I'm pretty much done with HFC's or anything that will cause a CEL or create NYS inspection issues. My thought if I need a bit more volume out of Dinan would be a secondary cat delete. When I did that to my Eisenmann Sport it added just a touch of volume but a much more aggressive sound.

I out East on Long Island. Probably far from you.
      03-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

I heard Kris@vsmotorsport 's e92 m3 with full catless dinan setup with dinan tune..(he also had a rear seat delete with roll cage at that time that makes it a little louder) WOT loud and clear with windows shut off, just driving cruising I couldn't even tell the car is catless. but it really put a huge smile on my face when he got on the throttle, it was clearly loud enough for me. amazingly I don't think I notice any drone at all.. great exhaust setup I think, if the fake tip doesn't bother you of course.

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
The Dinan tune will take care of the CEL... I pass NY inspection with no problems. Although I do show up with a bottle of scotch for the SA.
I need to pass readiness test.