Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Sports Suspension

Hi, just new to the site and have browsed the forums. There's not much on sports vs regular suspension. Does anyone have any experience to compare the two? I've gotten carried away in the moment and ordered my X1 before I've had a chance to try out one with sports suspension. Poor sales guy I placed the order then changed my mind on the colour half a dozen times. I think I've run out of time to change my mind now which is just as well.
Thanks for any replies that might be posted
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusX1 View Post
Hi, just new to the site and have browsed the forums. There's not much on sports vs regular suspension. Does anyone have any experience to compare the two? I've gotten carried away in the moment and ordered my X1 before I've had a chance to try out one with sports suspension. Poor sales guy I placed the order then changed my mind on the colour half a dozen times. I think I've run out of time to change my mind now which is just as well.
Thanks for any replies that might be posted
Hi AusX1, welcome to this forum Its a good bunch on here with loads of interesting info on the X1 you won't hear from the dealers. Many Oz friends as well.

To answer your question I did not go for the sport suspension as I felt it was too hard. In fact during my test drive the demo car had sport suspension and 19" rims which were brutal. But then I am slightly older and comfort is becomming more important. Try and test drive as many different variants before you finalise your decision.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Hi AusX1,welcome! I have the sport suspension with 18" wells and if i could i just give it away.......
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
I can't comment on the sport suspension because I never drove one with it but I don't have it on mine and I think the ride is hard enough. I opted for the performance control and to be honest, I don't know what they does either but I'm told it was good so I ticked the box.
      03-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
brettnosse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini

Did you salesman tell you about the X1 M Sport? For me, I ordered sports suspension, sports seats etc... and it worked out cheaper for me to buy the Sports M 23D than a regular 23d with the options i ordered.
Cheers Brett
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettnosse View Post
Did you salesman tell you about the X1 M Sport? For me, I ordered sports suspension, sports seats etc... and it worked out cheaper for me to buy the Sports M 23D than a regular 23d with the options i ordered.
Cheers Brett
Yes he did. I ordered a M Sport package sdrive20D. I chose LeMans blue, then black, then LeMans blue, then white, then black again.

Not that it makes any difference now it's on the way, but just looking for peace of mind that the ride's not going to be too harsh.

Then again, my body's getting older too mario486. It might be my last chance to drive around in something sporty! Ha,ha.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

PS... I had to tell the sales guy about the M Package. Didn't believe me at first that one existed. He found it on the next months price list.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
Hi AusX1,welcome! I have the sport suspension with 18" wells and if i could i just give it away.......
Do you mean you don't like it?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
brettnosse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini

I am looking forward to the sports suspension, as I thought the normal suspension was a bit soft.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDave View Post
..... I opted for the performance control and to be honest, I don't know what they does either but I'm told it was good so I ticked the box.
Performance Control's main thing is that it uses the inside brakes during cornering to sharpen up the performance around bends. I think there is also a software component that makes the throttle more sensitive etc.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Welcome aboard AusX1!

I'll add to the topic that I've heard from many sides that low rim " size is the way to go due to usual BMW stiffness. Hence, adding sports suspension on top of it is a comfort murder. Get some other cool eq instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
HelVan
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 18d

welcome !! im a freshie too :P

I`ve had my X1 for one week now, with regular suspension... And my opinion is that its hard/soft enough....so..I think its just perfect as it is. I don´t want it any stiffer... and what about the ground clearance? Is it lower with sport suspension or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #13
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Then again, my body's getting older too mario486. It might be my last chance to drive around in something sporty! Ha,ha.
Welcome aboard AusX1 ! (Very cute alias by the way ... )

You and Mario make it sound like the X1 is mainly driven by the elderly. Mind you, I have seen a few in my nursing home geriatric wing parking lot now that you mention it.

Where was I ?

Oh yeah...
Welcome aboard AusX1 ! What a strange alias for an Aussie who drives an
X1 !! Was that on purpose ?
      03-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #14
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post

You and Mario make it sound like the X1 is mainly driven by the elderly. Mind you, I have seen a few in my nursing home geriatric wing parking lot now that you mention it.
Middle aged Sam please, middle aged.....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Middle aged Sam please, middle aged.....
If I were middle-aged, it would mean I'd get to live until 96 years-old.
Scary ! ...
      03-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #16
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

Hi,

Anybody had time driving a 1 series convertible? It's the only BMW I've had the chance to drive. How would you compare the X1 suspension (regular or sports) to it?

I really should have taken more time test driving...

Thanks

Damian

PS Apparently the car's lower by 15mm with the sports suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
ady
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 SE 20D

Quote:
Hi,

Anybody had time driving a 1 series convertible? It's the only BMW I've had the chance to drive. How would you compare the X1 suspension (regular or sports) to it?

I really should have taken more time test driving...

Thanks

Damian

PS Apparently the car's lower by 15mm with the sports suspension.
I had a 1 series M sport and it was brutal
It was that bad I had to change the RFT to standard tyres which transformed the ride but still a hard ride..
My X1 has the sports suspension and 19" alloys which I find soft comparied to the series 1 sport springs..
but it does get slightly uncomfortable sometimes on pothhold roads and speed humps..
I like the firm ride, and 90% of the time I find it fine
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

That sounds good, quite reassuring. I'd be happy if it's too firm to go on gravel roads too often, I don't really want the car for off-road. It seemed too tempting to keep the sport suspension as an option as it came with the MSport package anyway. It didn't seem right to delete it from the package for nil cost saving when regular X1's cost about $500Au to have it added.

I love to have the option of 3 stage adjustable suspension as per the X3. now that would be handy. I used to have a sports or comfort switch for the shocks on my old Nissan Pathfinder (1991? model). It made quite a difference to the ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
blacksaph
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Does anyone know what kind of tires come with the sports package? I like the 18inch wheels for the look and increased tread width but on the BMW Canada site it simply states perf RFT. Are these summer or all season RFT as I will need to drive this car through winter as well?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksaph View Post
Does anyone know what kind of tires come with the sports package? I like the 18inch wheels for the look and increased tread width but on the BMW Canada site it simply states perf RFT. Are these summer or all season RFT as I will need to drive this car through winter as well?

Thanks
the ZOW Sports Package comes with 18 inch wheels. Tires are 18x8.0 224/45 R18 in front and 18x9.0 255/40 R18 in rear.

Not sure on the make or type of tire, but I'm guessing they will be all season. I always buy winter snows as all season=no season.
      05-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #21
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
the ZOW Sports Package comes with 18 inch wheels. Tires are 18x8.0 224/45 R18 in front and 18x9.0 255/40 R18 in rear.

Not sure on the make or type of tire, but I'm guessing they will be all season. I always buy winter snows as all season=no season.
All the tyres I have seen on the X1 are summer tyres, OEM ones that is.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #22
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT, 2012 X1 28i

Hi blacksaph - just new to the forum, though I have reviewed the other posts before ordering our X1 (delivery set for mid June) - thanks to all the members - your posts were very helpful in choosing options/colours etc. I can confirm that the upgraded 18" tires are all-season (according to my dealer). I agree with Duh Car though - you need a set of winter tires for sure. I ordered our X1 with 19" wheels (series 324) and then am having the 18" wheels (series 322) put onto winter tires as part of what BMW calls the "tire upgrade and OEM winters" option. Hope this helps. I'll post pics when it arrives. We are replacing my wife's 2009 Mini Cooper S with the X1 and looking forward to it!

Last edited by Phil777; 05-13-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0