BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

03-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
amitv85
Private
Rep
Drives: E430

Planning my European Delivery! - Any suggestions welcome!

Hey Guys,

So just got my production # and pick-up date for my M3 coupe from Ryan!

This is an itinerary I thought about - let me know if you think it sounds like enough time and if there is anything you suggest seeing on the way. I will be traveling with my girlfriend and we would be interested in seeing a concentration camp if there is one along or close to our route.

Flight Arrives in Munich: June 9, 2011
Pick-Up @ BMW Welt: June 9, 2011

June 9 - Thursday
BMW Factory Tour, Pick-Up Car, Sight-See in Munich

June 10 - Friday
Sight-See in Munich, Drive to Frankfurt

June 11 - Saturday

Sight-See in Frankfurt

June 12 - Sunday
Sight-See in Frankfurt. Early Afternoon - Leave for Nurburgring (2 hr drive) drive the evening session for 4 laps (maybe ring taxi?), return that evening to Frankfurt. (or stay for night, drive to luxembourg next day)

June 13 - Monday
Drop car off to location by Airport?. Train (drive?) to Luxembourg from Airport. - See old college friend who recently moved here...sight-see, go out. Stay for the night

June 14, Tuesday to June 18th, Saturday
Train (drive?) to Paris. Sight-see, relax, and enjoy the last few days without jumping from city to city. Fly back to NY Saturday morning/afternoon

We have room to take 1-2 days away from paris if there is something good to see along the way. We are city people and although scenic small towns etc are nice, we get bored easily so we were mainly doing major cities unless there is something worth seeing along the way (We travel often and plan on coming back to these areas down the road for more indepth tour)

My dilemma is if I want to leave the car in frankfurt for faster delivery or drop it off at the end of the trip in paris...thoughts?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Google Map if I drove the whole trip: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...18&ie=UTF8&z=6

Last edited by amitv85; 03-29-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Its_Canuck
Rep
Drives: VW R32

Um. You do realize that the "ring" is about 390km NW of the city of Nuremberg. If not, that's a good drive away with sight seeing for one day.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Its_Canuck
Rep
Drives: VW R32

I say this because I'm planning a trip around the US Thanksgiving holiday.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
amitv85
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Canuck View Post
Um. You do realize that the "ring" is about 390km NW of the city of Nuremberg. If not, that's a good drive away with sight seeing for one day.
Thanks, my mistake. I probably realized this earlier but between running around trying to get a deal for my m3 and then going back and forth on our itinerary with my gf I messed up somewhere lol.

I'll correct this...will look into stopping at Nuremburg for the day before driving to Frankfurt...then off the Nurburgring for 4 laps. Just wish I didnt have to back track. I wanted to drop the car in Frankfurt or Munich as I hear the travel time back to the states in faster

:Edited Itinerary:

Last edited by amitv85; 03-29-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
You going to fly in the same day as picking up the car?

You might be jet lagged. Plus I would give yourself a day buffer, what if the flight is delayed somehow.

I flew in on the 19th, did the factory tour and museum, then had a good nights rest and picked up the car at the welt on the 20th.
      03-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
jwg133
it's my dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 (ordered)

I just got back from my ED trip 2 weeks ago. Regarding your request to visit a concentration camp, Dachau is about 20min drive from the Welt. here is the link to the official site:

http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/index-e.html

give yourself at least 2-3 hours if you really want to take in the full site. There are many many things to see, read, and just take in.

Happy to share other experiences you may be interested in. We spend the entire time in Munich - at a very nice hotel. spent a day exploring the city - marienplatz, odeonsplatz, hofbrauhous, etc...

Enjoy!!

J
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
vm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Regarding the Nurburring I think that your car will be too green to take it in there. I wouldnt. I am not sure about the Ring Taxi but I thought that you need to reserve almost a year in advance. The rest of your itinerary looks good. I would drive to Paris and leave the car the first day you are there regardless of delays in delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
amitv85
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm View Post
Regarding the Nurburring I think that your car will be too green to take it in there. I wouldnt. I am not sure about the Ring Taxi but I thought that you need to reserve almost a year in advance. The rest of your itinerary looks good. I would drive to Paris and leave the car the first day you are there regardless of delays in delivery.
What do you mean by "green"?

Ring Taxi site says tickets go on sale mid-april so I am hoping to pick them up within next couple weeks if possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
You might be jet lagged. Plus I would give yourself a day buffer, what if the flight is delayed somehow.
I agree with with this. I picked up my car the day after flying in. Maybe jet lag isn't as bad for you but I was pretty burned out for the first couple days before adjusting to the time change and travel. I think you'll definitely enjoy the experience more after having a good night of sleep in your hotel.
      03-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
amitv85
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
I agree with with this. I picked up my car the day after flying in. Maybe jet lag isn't as bad for you but I was pretty burned out for the first couple days before adjusting to the time change and travel. I think you'll definitely enjoy the experience more after having a good night of sleep in your hotel.
I'm sure it might be more enjoyable after adjusting. I travel often internationally so I am somewhat use to it and can adjust. I just hope my girlfriend feels the same way or I will let her go to the hotel to check in. I am debating traveling a day earlier (travel on my birthday) but not sure if I want to take more time off from my business as I am away the previous weekend for bachelor party

Thanks for suggestions, I'll def consider it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
vm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitv85 View Post
What do you mean by "green"?
I mean that during the break-in period (which is the first 1,200 miles) you are not supposed to go above 4,500 RPM's or 100 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Having done a similar trip I would suggest [U]not[U] driving to Paris. Excellent high-speed train service is available that will get you right down town and Paris is made for walking. In addition, parking in Paris is a pain in the neck and anything decent underground will run you $30-50 per day.

I don't see why you couldn't run the N-ring. I went up and down 5 mountain passes prior to 1200 miles, just no revs over 5,000 or whatever the window sticker says and no speed over 100 mph, you can still have plenty of fun with those limits.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
amitv85
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Having done a similar trip I would suggest [U]not[U] driving to Paris. Excellent high-speed train service is available that will get you right down town and Paris is made for walking. In addition, parking in Paris is a pain in the neck and anything decent underground will run you $30-50 per day.

I don't see why you couldn't run the N-ring. I went up and down 5 mountain passes prior to 1200 miles, just no revs over 5,000 or whatever the window sticker says and no speed over 100 mph, you can still have plenty of fun with those limits.

I dont plan on driving IN paris, I'll drop the car off to transport co. at airport as soon as we get there so we dont have to deal with any hassles and it has a few day lead-time for delivery.

I decided to drive after Frankfurt so I do not have to back-track from Nurburg to return car to Frankfurt and driving to Luxembourg is actually faster than taking the train from Frankfurt...this way I can stop by Trier, Germany and Reims, France along the way.

This may sound bad, but I probably wont obey the 1200 mile break-in to a T. It will probably be too tempting for me and I'm not *too* worried. I know myself and self-control/patience aren't my strong traits (which is probably why I jumped on this car now)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #14
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

If driving from Frankfurt to Paris, definitely try and stay off of the main highways if you want a fun drive. Otherwise it's going to be a boring 4-5 hours. I did this drive last December, and it wasn't fun. I'm certain that if you exit the highway often and take back roads whereever possible, you'll enjoy it a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
phlfly
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Of course you must visit Rothenburg, but watch out, a lot stores with Christmas stuff. Also from there I would go to Salzburg. A very nice town and beautiful mount lakes.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Give yourself a little bit of time to visit the BMW Museum when you are at Welt. When I did ED Welt/Factory Tour/Museum last week it took about 3/4 of a day.
      04-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
amitv85
Private
Rep

Ring Taxi Site still says "From mid-April 2011 you will get the chance to book BMW Ring-Taxi tickets and dates on this website again."

well its mid april!!! I'm getting nervous and jittery. Am I better off calling them to try and get a ticket for June 2011? I have my ED scheduled, my hotel booked and know the date I will be at The Ring!
Appreciate 0