08-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Prejudice about VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar7274 View Post
First thing she says when I tell her it's that one over there is, it's Orange
My wife to her sister: "He ordered a new car without informing me. While his current car is still perfectly okay. Zero info. First splashing the cash and only when the deal was dusted and done he disclosed it to me. And you know the worst part of it? It's orange, yeah ORANGE, can you believe it? He's nuts! The least he could have done to sooth the pain, is ordering it in black. But no, friggin' orange. And he says he can't switch colors anymore. Oh men, they're all boys..."
Her sister to me: "Orange?"
Me: "Yup, I'm a sunshine boy! Just wait till you see it in the flesh."
Ever since, my daughter of 4 keeps on asking regularly: "Daddy, how long till we get to see 'the orange car'?
Ignorance is bliss. Living to tell this is a 100% true story.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
1M
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2002Turbo, M3, M5, 1M

My wife hates the Orange "Inka" that I have on the 2002Tii ...
For me, out of question to only think about ordering the 1M in orange...
Now I have a happy wife and a nice BSM 1M, could have as well a nice Orange 1M and unhappy wife .. choice was easy for me

More seriously, congrats for the Valencia Orange, I like it very much
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My wife to her sister: "He ordered a new car without informing me. While his current car is still perfectly okay. Zero info. First splashing the cash and only when the deal was dusted and done he disclosed it to me. And you know the worst part of it? It's orange, yeah ORANGE, can you believe it? He's nuts! The least he could have done to sooth the pain, is ordering it in black. But no, friggin' orange. And he says he can't switch colors anymore. Oh men, they're all boys..."
Ever since, my daughter of 4 keeps on asking regularly: "Daddy, how long till we get to see 'the orange car'?

^^ Women!

Valencia Orange...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
LMAO quality!

Since i've seen Amars car, I've taken a liking to the VO. I did get a vote off my nieces and nephews and it was 0% AW, 25% VO, 75% BSM. I really thought they would have liked the VO a lot more
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Man's gotta do what a Man's gotta do ..... VO for me too! Daughter loves it, wife laughs about it (she drives Alpine White X5) ......!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

You may be joking about this now but I hope you have a comfortable couch!
      08-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

@Artemis: Mine made me take black. Exactly the same reasoning. I should have just shut up and ordered. Will do next time.
      08-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
+2

I ran it by the boss first with a presentation ready and practiced. Fortunately, I had been looking at Cayman S's and pointing them out to her so, she was somewhat resigned to the fact that I was going to get a $50k+ car sometime this year.

Even so, I had to compromise on the color. I wanted AW, she 'asked' me to get BSM.

I like our couch, but the bed is a lot comfier. I'm getting BSM.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

you happily married chaps are TOTAL saps. Run the color by the wife..

never mind.. I didn't think about it enough... I guess you guys must be buying the cars for your wives...

For goodness sakes... get the color YOU want.... and if she doesn't like it.. tell her not to DRIVE it.

Great Job Artemis.. She will get over it...and I bet your daughter will love it.... and that will make Mom quiet too..

Artemis the king.. PS.. The King sleeps wherever he wants..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

sounds familiar. My other half really, really dislikes the VO... but as I had no choice, it is standing in my garage now. And I LOVE the VO
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
For goodness sakes... get the color YOU want.... and if she doesn't like it.. tell her not to DRIVE it.
Great theory. Try it in practice yourself! I did that with my M392. Do you have any idea how unnerving it can be if for three years you're being told at every possible opportunity how uncool this flashy color is? And as far as driving goes... she doesn't drive it anyhow. She has her own 1er and we'll just keep it that way.
      08-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Growing up in the SEC and being a University of Georgia Alumni, the orange choice was easy for me. I grew up hating everything Orange... Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida.... When my kids were young and we had flash cards for teaching them colors, we taught them that orange was "yuck". I guess my College Football roots may run just a little too deep with me, but it is what it is. BSM for the win

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
rogm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I

VO is the color to get, if i ever buy one thats the color i would get.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Great theory. Try it in practice yourself! I did that with my M392. Do you have any idea how unnerving it can be if for three years you're being told at every possible opportunity how uncool this flashy color is? And as far as driving goes... she doesn't drive it anyhow. She has her own 1er and we'll just keep it that way.

FAIL. Who said I don't?

Dude... I own an E30 M3... it's now a TRACK CAR... without a running MOTOR presently... you know how many times my wife wanted me to sell it for a Honda Accord... starting when my daughter was 2? Do you know how much my daughter LOVED it when I went around corners fast with her in the back in her car seat... (Again Again Again she would say)... I have owned an E30 M3 for SEVENTEEN YEARS. Three years longer than my daughter has been born, and I have watched my own spouse go from " your car is cool" when we dated.... to.... "you need to get something more practical" the moment she got pregnant.... to.... " you need a different hobby" every time I had to work on it " to..... we need to sell it for CASH (because it's the most valuable car in the house because *I* maintained it compared to her soda and trash filled Honda..)" etc...

So you have three years with your wife complaining about a color... you're still a ROOKIE!

you are SO overmatched on this one...

I am finally selling my E30 M3.. and trading it for a 1M.. which I fully plan to have the NEXT 17 years....

And my wife... the one who declined to go to the pre-drive... the one who still says " you can't afford this car".... even though the last two vehicles purchases have been hers.... she actually wants Orange... but currently.. there are three black cars in the garage..... so she'll live.

I am sure a couple of you saps will listen to the " it's our money" claims from your spouses.. and if you asked your spouse to change car choice... or color..when she got her car... that's fine... then she gets input here in your household.... but I bet you DIDNT care when she got what she wanted.... Too many women want to run their men's lives...Emm is correct here... even down to a color of a car that they will never or rarely drive..

I told her she can paint the walls in the house any color she wants.... but she's not painting my car.
I know the value of cars, I take care of my cars, and I enjoy the hell out of my car...

Sorry Emmm .. I'm the King in my castle.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-04-2011 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

My wife's observation about my AW 1M is that it looked like a storm trooper from Star Wars....

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Growing up in the SEC and being a University of Georgia Alumni, the orange choice was easy for me. I grew up hating everything Orange... Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida.... When my kids were young and we had flash cards for teaching them colors, we taught them that orange was "yuck". I guess my College Football roots may run just a little too deep with me, but it is what it is. BSM for the win
I guess I shouldnt tell you where I went to school then

When I was considering trading in the vert on a 1M my GF looked at me and said, seriously? You want an orange car? What the hell is wrong with the way you think?

Even though I elected to keep the vert I still point out every brightly colored Fiat 500, Ford Fiesta, and even a 1M and say I want it in that color...just for you

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

is my wife the only one that really likes the VO?
      08-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Mine wanted me to get VO so I made her sign a prenump and bought AW! Daaayaaaam!
      08-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Hallelujah! Amen Brother!

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

I was AW from the very start. My wife convinced me to switch to VO. She says the AW is too boring and seats matchthe VO paint. I did end up with the VO!! We both agree the VO is the most interesting color since it changes with all light conditions.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #22
FJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Lightbulb

THIS thread is just too much, reading about all you whining about your spouses having the pair in the house. Get over it, either grow a pair and get what you want or bend over and take it, next choice is to get rid of the spouse!

Congrats OP, you got a pair and the car and color you wanted.

M3 adjuster, keep telling them how it is Bro, just to think how far they have to keep going,

Appreciate 0