BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Gintani Race VS. Dinan Axle Back

Hi guys,

I have a question. I am looking to purchase either of the following exhaust:

Gintani Race Axle Back
or
Dinan Axle Back

I was curious what you guys thought of just the axle back? I have read that the Dinan Axle back is not too much louder than stock with just the axle back. I am currently running RPI GT axle back and its decent, but I would like something louder.

Also, how bad is the gintani unit with a catless setup?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

i would go for the Gintani sport

I think the race is too loud

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
i would go for the Gintani sport

I think the race is too loud
Thank you, what would you compare the sport exhaust to? I am hoping it has a little more of a grunt to it then my RPI
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

i have gintani sport with catless gintani xpipe and 4 resonators...i would highly recommend it i love the setup....heres some vids of the sound

(listen to the end of the second video after the race, you hear my car accelerating)

the exhaust is loud when you want it to be but also quiet when cruising, some drone as expected with a catless setup but not significant

hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Hi guys,

I have a question. I am looking to purchase either of the following exhaust:

Gintani Race Axle Back
or
Dinan Axle Back

I was curious what you guys thought of just the axle back? I have read that the Dinan Axle back is not too much louder than stock with just the axle back. I am currently running RPI GT axle back and its decent, but I would like something louder.

Also, how bad is the gintani unit with a catless setup?

Thanks
What do you mean "how bad"?

It's not bad. it's just really really loud.

If you want louder than RPI, Gintani race is what you'd want

the Sport may not be loud enough for you if your GT is just decent

if you run a full Gintani Sport, you should be at where you'd like to be and extra power
if you run a full gintani race...you'll be heard from across the country
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
mike33176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

You are comparing one of the mildest cat-backs to one of the loudest! Dinan has almost no drone and a mild but nice tone and the Gintani Race will make you want to blow your head off due to the in cabin drone(all relative but , camparing to stock) but, it does sound Amazing!!!!. I went in between with an AA Exhaust and Xpipe
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Raz@Gintani
Rep
Drives: E92- MR M3

Our race system is the loudest from all of our systems, especially if you are going to add an xpipe to it. From what it sounds like it, I believe the sport system would be more of what you are looking for. But if you do want to get a loud system but not as loud as our race, we are now making "Hybrid" systems, which consists of the SPORT muffler with our RACE internals.

The hybrid system on idle and cruising sounds similiar to the sport system and when on the run screams like the race. We managed to calm down the drone with this hybrid system, unlike the race which drones around 2-3K RPM.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Marsala125
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I got the dinan catback which sounded barely anything over stock.. I recently deleted the front cat using the tms test pipes which opened up the sound a bit more.. No cruising drone. Gintani would definitely be a louder choice if that's what your aiming for.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz@Gintani View Post
Our race system is the loudest from all of our systems, especially if you are going to add an xpipe to it. From what it sounds like it, I believe the sport system would be more of what you are looking for. But if you do want to get a loud system but not as loud as our race, we are now making "Hybrid" systems, which consists of the SPORT muffler with our RACE internals.

The hybrid system on idle and cruising sounds similiar to the sport system and when on the run screams like the race. We managed to calm down the drone with this hybrid system, unlike the race which drones around 2-3K RPM.
what is the power difference between race muffler and the "hybrid" muffler?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
what is the power difference between race muffler and the "hybrid" muffler?
my guess it would be the same power output

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

that sounds interesting, what is the ETA on this?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
Raz@Gintani
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
that sounds interesting, what is the ETA on this?
ETA is about 2 weeks. I just got news saying the only type of "hybrid" exhaust we're going to make is Race cans with sport internals. So the opposite of what I had said above. Build time is the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Quote:
That sounds very promising. Are you planning to sell all 3, or phasing out the Race/Sport?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Raz@Gintani
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
That sounds very promising. Are you planning to sell all 3, or phasing out the Race/Sport?
As of now, we are selling all three: Sport, Hybrid (race cans with sport internals) and Race.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

Damn Raz! JJ was tryin to talk me into ordering the race, maybe I will wait on the hybrid. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
As of now, we are selling all three: Sport, Hybrid (race cans with sport internals) and Race.