ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
raptor_demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0i sport pkg

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4  [5.33]
Thinking of doing a z4 3.0i to 3.0si front brake question but i ahve some questions

Hi Guys,
I am looking for some advice.

I need new brakes and i figured while i was in there i would upgrade the brakes to the 325mm front rotors that the si has.

Questions are as follows:
1) if i put bigger 325mm (up from 300mm) brakes on the front do i need to adjust the brake bias?
2) Aside from new rotors , pads and calipers, what else do i need to do this? what else is different?

thanks

Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Search through the different forums, there's been a few that have done this and posted a DIY. I remember seeing one which was very detailed but can't remember where/when. It seems to be a good upgrade for a modest cost. Good Luck.
      11-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
raptor_demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0i sport pkg

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4  [5.33]
Thanks,

I have had a hard time finding definative info on this, partiualarly the brake bias question.

When people put big brake kits on does it not mess up the bias of the brakes?

thanks
Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_demon View Post
Thanks,

I have had a hard time finding definative info on this, partiualarly the brake bias question.

thanks
Raptor
new to the z4 world. but you can normally upgrade your fronts, particularly modestly as you are contemplating, without a bias concern. Most of your braking is front biased.

the larger sized rotors (assuming caliper - pads - etc are mostly the same between the two) will help mostly as regards fade if you are running hard like on a track. if one is overheating one's brakes on the street - well - you should probably stop that...

so to answer your question with a non z base of knowledge. street application - have at it!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_demon View Post
Thanks,

thanks
Raptor
All you're really doing is changing over to the Si setup and that works well enough. Several have done this mod with no posted complaints that I'm aware of.
      11-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hey raptor hope all is well, all you need for the retrofit is the new rotors that you can buy basically anywhere I think you can still order the Brembo rotors instead of the factory ones their just stock replacements a
And you can buy new rebuilt calipers from any part store their lifetime far ranted and super cheap just bring your stockers for a core and the new pads but it's very important to remember to buy the calipers with the proper carriers. I posted a DIY on the forum here you just have to dig for it .

Anywho good luck man.
Appreciate 0