BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Angry Overheated brakes

Is there some way that the dealer knows that the brakes were overheated? I don't see any discoloration on the rotors or anything. They claim they were overheated and refuse to warranty them as abuse. I just run the car on the street and told them this. They wanted to charge me ~$3300. I could buy new and better rotors and pads for less than half that! What do I do?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

How much pad thickness do you have left? What prompted them to look at the brakes in the first place? You should try and get some clarification on this from the service manager or tech.

If you just wore them down quickly that shouldn't justify their claim. Can you try another dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Edit: Sorry I typed a reply without reading that you only drove it on the street. Weird, I would find another dealer.

There's no way I would pay $3000+ for OEM brakes, either get PFC rotors or a BBK if the dealer won't cover it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Why did you bring them in? How many miles?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I brought the car in because the pedal felt spongey. The shop foreman agreed, but said it was merely air trapped in the brake lines and they flushed it. I thought maybe the pads were just really worn down, so I asked them to check. I probably have something like 4mm left on the front pads. There are about 16.2k mi on the car.

Last edited by conradb; 06-10-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I brought the car in because the pedal felt spongey. The shop foreman agreed, but said it was merely air trapped in the brake lines and they flushed it. I thought maybe the pads were just really worn down, so I asked them to check. I probably have something like 4mm left on the front pads. There are about 16.2k mi on the car.
To wear your front pads down to 4mm with only 16k miles and no track events means you have been braking pretty hard. Best keep an eye on your pads as they will need changing soon, don't wait for the brake sensors to light up, otherwise they would to be replaced too, unless you don't mind paying a bit more for them to be replaced as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Go buy some pads and change them out for a year, then slap the old ads back in and bring it to the dealer. Don't know how the hell you blew through the pads so fast without tracking them.

I'm assuming you're in the US where it's covered.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Go buy some pads and change them out for a year, then slap the old ads back in and bring it to the dealer. Don't know how the hell you blew through the pads so fast without tracking them.

Canyons and mountain runs can wear through pads rather quickly

Yep USA
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #9
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

do this. brake pads are relatively easy to change. I'd check the thickness of the rotor, but chances are your rotor still has enough life in it to make it to the next scheduled service visit.
Appreciate 0