BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Orange Screen of Death

A few mornings ago, when I started the car, the whole idrive screen turned bright orange. I shut down, restarted, and this time it was just blank and stayed that way. Radio worked but nothing on the screen.

After several hours, restart, all fine. Took it to dealer, they found no fault.

I dd not take a photo, but if you google 'bmw orange idrive screen' you will see it is a fairly common issue. Has anyone seen it? Any ideas what causes it?

I attach two photos from other cars with this problem I found on the web.

R.
Attached Images

02-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

I do not know what causes it nor did the dealer told me but this happened to my current 760Li, the whole iDrive system was replaced. Has not happened again (knock on wood)

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
black650xi
Banned
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 650xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
A few mornings ago, when I started the car, the whole idrive screen turned bright orange. I shut down, restarted, and this time it was just blank and stayed that way. Radio worked but nothing on the screen.

After several hours, restart, all fine. Took it to dealer, they found no fault.

I dd not take a photo, but if you google 'bmw orange idrive screen' you will see it is a fairly common issue. Has anyone seen it? Any ideas what causes it?

I attach two photos from other cars with this problem I found on the web.

R.

happened several times on my 2010 X6M but every time I tool it to the dealer they couldnt figure it out. Mine had been intermittent but never lasted longer than a restart..anyway, has not happened on my 650 yet...it snothing to worry about, if it keeps happening and stays that way just get some pics and they will then believe you ...my dealer woudnt even believe me as there was no "fault code" stored in the system..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by black650xi View Post
happened several times on my 2010 X6M but every time I tool it to the dealer they couldnt figure it out. Mine had been intermittent but never lasted longer than a restart..anyway, has not happened on my 650 yet...it snothing to worry about, if it keeps happening and stays that way just get some pics and they will then believe you ...my dealer woudnt even believe me as there was no "fault code" stored in the system..
First off, I would like to sincerely apologize to the OP for thread jacking, but I needed to ask "black650xi" this question!!

Hey Black650xi, how is your experience with the transition from the X6 to the 650xi? I just picked up a 650i GC with xDrive last night. I was on a road that is probably very familiar to both of us (Belt PKWY) for a test drive with my new toy. My 650 came with the ///M Sport package so I am running on 20 inch wheels, and she did NOT like the bumps and potholes between BK and Qns. There were a couple that made me cringe when passing over them. I was just waiting for the warning light for a flat tire to pop up. Fortunately, I didn't bend a rim or anything like that.

I am asking you how the transition fron an SAV to the Coupe is treating you because I have been driving an X6 on 22 inch wheels for the past four years up until my trade in last night. Even with the 22's on the X6, she handled the terrain of the five boroughs a lot better than the 650i I drove last night and into work today.

Let me know if you prefer your new car over the X6, or do you miss the higher ground clearance, the apparantly more adaptive suspension, the higher seating position and or any other characteristics of the X6.

I only ask because these are two very different cars, so not many people probably made the same transition that we both have made. Also, because you are in BK, you can understand that the roads around here are not very forgiving to low profile tires. My 650i GC is a beautiful and elegant and powerful machine, but i wonder if she can handle the mean streets of NY.... let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Hey OP, I apologize once again. I hope that I never see that orange screen. let us know how things work out with your CA. I hope thing work out for the best in your case.
      03-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
black650xi
Banned
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 650xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
First off, I would like to sincerely apologize to the OP for thread jacking, but I needed to ask "black650xi" this question!!

Hey Black650xi, how is your experience with the transition from the X6 to the 650xi? I just picked up a 650i GC with xDrive last night. I was on a road that is probably very familiar to both of us (Belt PKWY) for a test drive with my new toy. My 650 came with the ///M Sport package so I am running on 20 inch wheels, and she did NOT like the bumps and potholes between BK and Qns. There were a couple that made me cringe when passing over them. I was just waiting for the warning light for a flat tire to pop up. Fortunately, I didn't bend a rim or anything like that.

I am asking you how the transition fron an SAV to the Coupe is treating you because I have been driving an X6 on 22 inch wheels for the past four years up until my trade in last night. Even with the 22's on the X6, she handled the terrain of the five boroughs a lot better than the 650i I drove last night and into work today.

Let me know if you prefer your new car over the X6, or do you miss the higher ground clearance, the apparantly more adaptive suspension, the higher seating position and or any other characteristics of the X6.

I only ask because these are two very different cars, so not many people probably made the same transition that we both have made. Also, because you are in BK, you can understand that the roads around here are not very forgiving to low profile tires. My 650i GC is a beautiful and elegant and powerful machine, but i wonder if she can handle the mean streets of NY.... let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Hey OP, I apologize once again. I hope that I never see that orange screen. let us know how things work out with your CA. I hope thing work out for the best in your case.
I miss my X6 but the 6 series is awesome...I can understand your issue with the potholes which is why I got the tire & wheel insurance. Also, even thought you may think you hit one too hard, you will be fine....it really depends on how fast you hit it rather than how deep or ugly it is....but best is to be careful and drive with your eyes on the road...I use to have 21" on my X6 and I enjoyed the drive as much as my 6 series with 20" wheels...BMW OEM wheels are built strong and of high quality so you will be fine....but in summary I do miss my X6 ....and I think I will get a X6M when the new body style comes out ...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by black650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

I miss my X6 but the 6 series is awesome...I can understand your issue with the potholes which is why I got the tire & wheel insurance. Also, even thought you may think you hit one too hard, you will be fine....it really depends on how fast you hit it rather than how deep or ugly it is....but best is to be careful and drive with your eyes on the road...I use to have 21" on my X6 and I enjoyed the drive as much as my 6 series with 20" wheels...BMW OEM wheels are built strong and of high quality so you will be fine....but in summary I do miss my X6 ....and I think I will get a X6M when the new body style comes out ...
nice! it would seem great minds think alike. my plan is to drive the amazing GC till 2016, then jump into an X6M after it gets a full face lift. I'm enjoying the GC and I will probably stick with BMW for life, lol. Thanks for the advice