BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Kw Sleeve kit review

I figured it best to wait a few thousand km's before giving my review on the kw sleeve over kit. That time is now!

The good: From the moment the kit was installed I was amazed at how perfect the drop was. It still has a finger gap all around so clearance was not an issue.

The bad: To give a little background on the car, at time of install I had 22000kms. I went with new BMW top plates just to be sure.... The drive I can honestly say is horrible. Horrible is putting it kindly, uncontrollable is more like it. I don't mind spending money on a car but if there is one thing I absolutely can't stand is spending money to make it worse than it was...

When it was stock the ride was excellent, bumps were a non issue and bounce was nonexistent. High speed driving was tight and composed. I never had the feeling my skill level was over the suspension's capability.

With the sleeve kit I find the car to be unsettling to say the least. Granted I do live in eastern Canada and the roads are not the smoothest in the country. Still the difference from stock is unbelievable. Any imperfection in the road is amplified. At higher speeds you feel like you can lose control, very uninspiring. I thought I might be imagining things as everyone else's review of the kit was excellent so I went out last night for a drive with a close friend that also happens to be a driving instructor at a local track. We took a drive up to some winding back roads we frequent and from the first downward left turn he tells me to slow down.

To make a long story short he was surprised at the handling. The progressive springs don't seem to do well with the factory suspension.

Anyways this is my personal opinion on the product and I can say I expected more. I'll be swapping these out for the Ohlins R&T kit by the end of the month. I'll be sure to write a review.

Alex
Attached Images

2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
chuxdelux
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1988/1998/2005 M3

We need more reviews like this. I like how you are not bashing the product but rather giving your honest opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
I figured it best to wait a few thousand km's before giving my review on the kw sleeve over kit. That time is now!

The good: From the moment the kit was installed I was amazed at how perfect the drop was. It still has a finger gap all around so clearance was not an issue.

The bad: To give a little background on the car, at time of install I had 22000kms. I went with new BMW top plates just to be sure.... The drive I can honestly say is horrible. Horrible is putting it kindly, uncontrollable is more like it. I don't mind spending money on a car but if there is one thing I absolutely can't stand is spending money to make it worse than it was...

When it was stock the ride was excellent, bumps were a non issue and bounce was nonexistent. High speed driving was tight and composed. I never had the feeling my skill level was over the suspension's capability.

With the sleeve kit I find the car to be unsettling to say the least. Granted I do live in eastern Canada and the roads are not the smoothest in the country. Still the difference from stock is unbelievable. Any imperfection in the road is amplified. At higher speeds you feel like you can lose control, very uninspiring. I thought I might be imagining things as everyone else's review of the kit was excellent so I went out last night for a drive with a close friend that also happens to be a driving instructor at a local track. We took a drive up to some winding back roads we frequent and from the first downward left turn he tells me to slow down.

To make a long story short he was surprised at the handling. The progressive springs don't seem to do well with the factory suspension.

Anyways this is my personal opinion on the product and I can say I expected more. I'll be swapping these out for the Ohlins R&T kit by the end of the month. I'll be sure to write a review.

Alex
I leaned towards the KW sleeve kit the entire time and in the last second I purchased Swift Springs. You need someone competent to do the installation properly otherwise it will ride like crap if it's uneven.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
I leaned towards the KW sleeve kit the entire time and in the last second I purchased Swift Springs. You need someone competent to do the installation properly otherwise it will ride like crap if it's uneven.
I trust the shop that did the install as they have a great reputation!

By uneven you mean in terms of height or camber?

How do you like the swift springs?
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

This is not what I wanted to hear. I want to lower the car with either springs or a sleeve kit and so far all of the reviews of the sleeve kit have been glowing..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
littlebully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red 625 ///M3 '13

you have EDC?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebully View Post
you have EDC?
I don't have EDC and I think that might add to the problem.

I can't believe EDC would make 100% of a difference but from what I read it helps.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
This is not what I wanted to hear. I want to lower the car with either springs or a sleeve kit and so far all of the reviews of the sleeve kit have been glowing..
I never really liked the idea of a ''spring only'' drop but after the reviews I was sold on the idea..

Kw do make great products, I've been in a car with kw v3's and the ride felt stable and compliant.

If you have EDC you will most probable enjoy the ride.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:

Alex
Sorry, to hear about your experience! My experience was quite the opposite. I have several track weekends since the install with noticeable improvement in handling. After 3000 miles, the ride is a tad bit more harsh on the roughest roads, but still very comfortable in normal and comfort settings. Do you have EDC and what settings did you feel made the car ride worst? I noticed you mentioned that you adjusted springs to a finger gap all around. Mine was lowered equally front and rear to maintain the factory stance. I have a small finger gap in front, but the rear is actually tucked under fender by half a finger. Did you have car corner-balanced and re-aligned following installation? I had mine corner-balanced and re-aligned immediately following installation, and the suspension felt very solid and stable. Hope you have better luck with the Ohlin R&T's. Looking forward to your review on those as well.

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281 View Post
Sorry, to hear about your experience! My experience was quite the opposite. I have several track weekends since the install with noticeable improvement in handling. After 3000 miles, the ride is a tad bit more harsh on the roughest roads, but still very comfortable in normal and comfort settings. Do you have EDC and what settings did you feel made the car ride worst? I noticed you mentioned that you adjusted springs to a finger gap all around. Mine was lowered equally front and rear to maintain the factory stance. I have a small finger gap in front, but the rear is actually tucked under fender by half a finger. Did you have car corner-balanced and re-aligned following installation? I had mine corner-balanced and re-aligned immediately following installation, and the suspension felt very solid and stable. Hope you have better luck with the Ohlin R&T's. Looking forward to your review on those as well.
I'm coming to realize that EDC makes the difference... I don't have that option.

The car was aligned after install. Are you on factory sway bars?
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I had the KW Sleeve kit before. The ride quality is very dependent on how low you set the ride height. Looking at the picture, it looks pretty low. Also, if your shocks are worn, it will increase shock wear and amplify the difference.

I found the ride to be stock-like when set to maximum height (about 1 inch lowered). Slightly softer on small bumps and harder on larger bumps. The problem is the stock shocks do not have enough dampening and rebound to keep up with the springs and so it feels a bit floaty when you are driving fast.

I changed to KW V3s and it is a night and day difference. That really woke up the car and it feels much more responsive. The ride quality is not as smooth as stock but it's fine most of the time with none of the floating feeling of stock shocks.
      05-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I had the KW Sleeve kit before. The ride quality is very dependent on how low you set the ride height. Looking at the picture, it looks pretty low. Also, if your shocks are worn, it will increase shock wear and amplify the difference.

I found the ride to be stock-like when set to maximum height (about 1 inch lowered). Slightly softer on small bumps and harder on larger bumps. The problem is the stock shocks do not have enough dampening and rebound to keep up with the springs and so it feels a bit floaty when you are driving fast.

I changed to KW V3s and it is a night and day difference. That really woke up the car and it feels much more responsive. The ride quality is not as smooth as stock but it's fine most of the time with none of the floating feeling of stock shocks.
I don't know how worn my shocks can be at 13000 miles but maybe your right about it being too low.

Yes I agree the spring rates are too much for the stock shocks to handle. When I was asking around before I made the purchase no one mentioned the ''floating feeling''....

I thought about going with the v3's but since i've been running ohlin's on my bikes for years I figure why not give them a try.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm coming to realize that EDC makes the difference... I don't have that option.

The car was aligned after install. Are you on factory sway bars?
Yes, I'm still on factory sway bars. I keep my EDC on comfort except for the track which I use sport mode. I have 50,000 miles on mine and the ride is not floaty as others have mentioned. On the 3 tracks that I run, I have noticed an average of around 1-2 second improvement in lap times after switching to KW S/O from Eibach sport springs.

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281 View Post
Yes, I'm still on factory sway bars. I keep my EDC on comfort except for the track which I use sport mode. I have 50,000 miles on mine and the ride is not floaty as others have mentioned. On the 3 tracks that I run, I have noticed an average of around 1-2 second improvement in lap times after switching to KW S/O from Eibach sport springs.
The difference could be because the KW S/O is a better set up than the Eibach. Eibach has really low spring rates and is very soft compared to most aftermarket springs on the market. The KW S/O is not a bad set up if you want moderate lowering with a stock-like ride. The floating sensation is actually present in the stock suspension as well. The KW just amplifies the feeling because of the lower height and progressive spring rate.

Quote:
Yes I agree the spring rates are too much for the stock shocks to handle. When I was asking around before I made the purchase no one mentioned the ''floating feeling''....

I thought about going with the v3's but since i've been running ohlin's on my bikes for years I figure why not give them a try.
I had Ohlins DFV on a previous car and they are excellent. You will love the way it rides and handles. It is much smoother than the KW V3s. I'd jump on the Ohlins if it weren't for the high cost and higher maintenance. They are designed to be serviced every 20-30k miles vs the 60k miles on the V3s. The purchase price is also a lot higher.
      05-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I had Ohlins DFV on a previous car and they are excellent. You will love the way it rides and handles. It is much smoother than the KW V3s. I'd jump on the Ohlins if it weren't for the high cost and higher maintenance. They are designed to be serviced every 20-30k miles vs the 60k miles on the V3s. The purchase price is also a lot higher.
That's great to hear! 30k miles (50k kms) is about 5 years of driving in my case. I don't drive threw winter so it sits for 6 months of the year.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0