New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Trunk won't open. SmartTop just installed

I installed my SmarTop today. After a few tries everything went well.

Ran it through several cycles. Worked great. Driving home I get the red roof icon on the message section. Disconnected the battery for 20 minutes which in the past reset the smartop.

Now the top is up but you can't open the trunk. It is slightly ajar. When trying to open (with the roundel) nothing happens. No motor noise. The button inside the car or the remote trunk open gets no response either.

Tried pushing down on the trunk lid while hitting the remote trunk open but again no response.

I think I'm screwed. If I have to take to the dealer the smartop will be discovered and of course that is what is causing my problem. Car is still under warranty, but that'll void at least that part of the warranty I'm sure.

Ideas on getting the trunk open? Is there a fuse somewhere under the hood that if I pull for a bit and reinstall it might reinitiate??

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Try opening the roof?

Try to see if you can open the center console passthrough to the trunk?

G/L sorry to hear about the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 09 35i

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Try to put down the roof.

Leave the top on service mode.

Remove the smart top.

And see what happens from there.

Or you can also try to disable snarttop using the turn signal as stated on the manual.

Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Did you leave the USB cable connected to the module ? If so hook up your PC to it and set the smarttop in bypass mode. See if you can open the trunk then.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Unfortunately nothing is functioning at all so I can't open the roof to disable anything.
I liked the idea of reaching through the pass thru to pull the emergency handle but I have the ski bag thingy that you have to open up from the trunk side! I tried forcing it but it must be the strongest thing on the Z since I can't even break it open. Even if I did get it open I don't think you can reach the handle. Might be able to grab it with a "reacher" or something.

Anyway I think I'm going to stop at a local indy shop tomorrow and see if they can help. If they can get the trunk open I'll uninstall the module.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Eltee
as Davelrodriguez said, you can disable smarttop from the turn signals. No need to get access to the trunk to disable smarttop module.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks again.

I did disable the module via the turn signals but it didn't help with the trunk not opening.

At least if I end up taking it into the dealer I stand a small chance of them not discovering the module.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

I would rather reveal the module to the dealer.

I have found a similar, highly discussed case in a German forum: Owner went to dealer with roof and further electronics malfunction, didn't tell anything about the module. So the dealer has worked through all the BMW service guidelines. Finally they have found the (broken) smarttop module and with it the reason for the malfunction. Costs for finding the problem: 1600€.

In your case it appears very likely that the module is not properly connected or that the connection has loosened when driving. If your dealer knows the possible source of the issue, I suppose he may address the problem much faster.

Last edited by Mick70; 09-04-2013 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #9
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I hope you get this sorted. I would suggest that this is the usual case of the primary connector to the roof module not being seated properly. Almost everyone that fits these doesn't understand fully how the connector seats and clips down. If you don't get it right, the connector doesn't fully seat and can result in failures immediately or intermittently.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Listen if you can access the module from the turn signals that means the plug that goes to the module is not well connected.

If you take it to the dealer is gonna be very expensive bill just for they to fix it.

I will brake the bag in the middle and pull the emergency opener

Then maybe buy a new middle bag or whatever is called... I removed mine so I can have access to the trunk front the inside of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Took it to the dealer this morning and they got in the trunk, removed the smarttop.
Cost me $100 but I think it was worth it. They could have charged me a lot more and then again they could have done it gratis since I told them what was causing the problem. Normally they can run a scan and put some code in their scanner and it pops the trunk but they said they could get no response on the trunk at all.

So they did what davelrodriguez suggested. Somehow went through without breaking anything and used the emergency opener.

So I have a smartTop that I am too chicken to put back in. It was working fine for one day and I loved it. I think the module is fine it just requires being seated perfectly. I didn't do a very good job of tucking everything away when I installed. Was kinda "bulged" up and the top mechanism may have pushed down on it and loosened a connection.

Anyway I have a smartTop if anyone is courageous enough to try it. Send me an offer.

I'll probably list it here with full disclaimer or maybe do the same on eBay.

I think the module is fine. I'm just not willing to try it again.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you got it sorted. I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon though, the functions are just too handy...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Happy for you but.... PUT IT BACK! Haha just this time try to remove the bag first for a few days In case something goes wrong.

I love mine and some ppl think is a little expensive... To me is totally worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Is this your listing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=271270638789

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nope.

I haven't put it on ebay. Thought I'd see if any interest at all here first.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
ls weird that is not my the model number i have in my car installed... your model number is outdated and is not the current one on their website...

l have STLFBW3 and works perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltee View Post
Nope.

I haven't put it on ebay. Thought I'd see if any interest at all here first.
I plan to pick one up next month if you still have it for sale by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelrodriguez View Post
ls weird that is not my the model number i have in my car installed... your model number is outdated and is not the current one on their website...

l have STLFBW3 and works perfect.
Maybe I missed it, but I'm not seeing where he mentioned his model number?

[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
I plan to pick one up next month if you still have it for sale by then.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm not seeing where he mentioned his model number?
Is up for sale here on the forum.. check it out
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelrodriguez View Post
Is up for sale here on the forum.. check it out
I see it now. BW1 is the old version that's for both E93 and E89. You said the company reflashed it. Maybe it's some kind of issue with compatibility after the reflash?

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The SmartTop customer service is really great. Your correct Davel.... I purchased an older model ends in BW1. SmartTop made available to me the upgrade to the same software that is in the current model BW3 since I was having problems with the module.

So I think the upgrade was not the problem since it was meant to correct any issues with the older module.

They have actually offered for me to send in the module so they can check it out in case there are any issues with it. Can't beat that for CS. I suppose I should take them up on it to assure the unit is good. Then I could sell if without feeling guilty about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
HABANEROTE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltee
The SmartTop customer service is really great. Your correct Davel.... I purchased an older model ends in BW1. SmartTop made available to me the upgrade to the same software that is in the current model BW3 since I was having problems with the module.

So I think the upgrade was not the problem since it was meant to correct any issues with the older module.

They have actually offered for me to send in the module so they can check it out in case there are any issues with it. Can't beat that for CS. I suppose I should take them up on it to assure the unit is good. Then I could sell if without feeling guilty about it.
I'm telling you... They are very good modules and they have been tested bunch of times... I trust the module very good... Car has been in the dealer and before that I just disable by the turn signals and they don't even notice.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep, I disable mine every time it goes in and re-enable it when I get the car back, no issues here. I learned from others when installing, to ensure the plug is properly secure into the hard top module.
Appreciate 0