BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

2014 50i in body shop at VPC

Sales manager called me today to say that my '14 50i is in the body shop at the VPC--no idea why, but he said it could be anything from a scratch to mismatched paint or lack of clear coat. Is this something to be concerned about? Tired of waiting for my vehicle which should have been here weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Sales manager called me today to say that my '14 50i is in the body shop at the VPC--no idea why, but he said it could be anything from a scratch to mismatched paint or lack of clear coat. Is this something to be concerned about? Tired of waiting for my vehicle which should have been here weeks ago.
Cancel order and move on, unless u get a discount for buying a defect car that been repaired. Imo i wouldn't buy it cuz god knows what happen to it and now who knows if the interior is gonna get dusted from sanding, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTX5 View Post
Cancel order and move on, unless u get a discount for buying a defect car that been repaired. Imo i wouldn't buy it cuz god knows what happen to it and now who knows if the interior is gonna get dusted from sanding, etc.
Sales manager is supposed to call me tomorrow when he finds out what they're repairing. Hopefully he'll tell me the truth.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

When my $300 iphone was defective and the apple care guy tried to convince me a refurb was better than new, I insisted on a brand new phone to replace my brand new phone.... I'm willing to bet your X5 is more than $300

That said, I had to wait a couple of hours for a new phone, not a month or more. Tough call. They will give you the car in perfect condition. If you didn't ask you would never know. But now you know.......
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone know how good the VPC is at repairs?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

My understanding is this happens more than you might think, and most people never know about it, particularly when cars come over on a boat and get damaged on the boat. I've also heard paint correction is very common.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect your car to be anything but perfect. A body shop can fix a car after a bad accident to where you can't tell it ever happened. This can't be as bad as that and of course the people that made the car wouldn't deliver you something with less than perfect body work. You can always refuse it at your dealer if you're not happy. I would probably at least want the full details though.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Anyone know how good the VPC is at repairs?
They're as good as you'll get this side of Spartanburg. Usually these are small issues, scratched bumper, rim, etc. As others have said, if they didn't tell you, you'd likely never know.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
okiekids
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

There is a case called BMW vs Gore that addresses this subject. Also, make sure the vehicle will have a clean carfax.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
My understanding is this happens more than you might think, and most people never know about it, particularly when cars come over on a boat and get damaged on the boat. I've also heard paint correction is very common.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect your car to be anything but perfect. A body shop can fix a car after a bad accident to where you can't tell it ever happened. This can't be as bad as that and of course the people that made the car wouldn't deliver you something with less than perfect body work. You can always refuse it at your dealer if you're not happy. I would probably at least want the full details though.
Completely agree! I'm sure this happens all the time, you just found out about it! I'm sure nothing to worry about it!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^ Psycho.... It should be ok. Perhaps the next one is worse or had a similar or different issue and did not get flagged. Since your dealer disclosed to you ask for more details as it should be documented as you were informed. On delivery inspect the concerned area carefully. Just a suggestion to perhaps consider.

If I had to choose paint work, it would be best at the factory.
https://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufac...ss/paint-shop/

I assume you will not miss the 100hp decrease from your x6m.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
^ Psycho.... It should be ok. Perhaps the next one is worse or had a similar or different issue and did not get flagged. Since your dealer disclosed to you ask for more details as it should be documented as you were informed. On delivery inspect the concerned area carefully. Just a suggestion to perhaps consider.

If I had to choose paint work, it would be best at the factory.
https://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufac...ss/paint-shop/

I assume you will not miss the 100hp decrease from your x6m.
Big assumption . Unfortunately, the lease was up on the X6M, and no X5M till next year.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

I would be concered if it spends too much time at the VPC. From my understanding they could correct little things like a scratch on a bumper all the way to disassebling a good part of the car for more serious damages. I believe the VPC is required to inform the dealer if the damage is greater than 3% of the MSRP of the car, which means pretty much any repair over $2,000. Check out this link:
http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0