BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Likely ordering soon...some suspension questions

Well, I have done a good amount of reading here and as of now I am leaning towards the X5 M Sport (over the Cayenne).

1) If I order an M Sport Diesel, is the 2vf option "Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension" standard or a $900 option in the US? If it's an option, does it add comfort to the ride or will it be more sporty/harsh? I would rather have it better with absorbing bumps. Is this option worth it? I do not want full adaptive suspension.

2) Will an Xline/Lux line give a smoother, more comfortable ride with comfort suspension? If so is it just marginally? I like the look of the M Sport quite a bit better.

Thanks

Last edited by SUV55; 11-16-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
nicu2001
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi, this is my first post and I have done a lot of suspension research so hopefully I can help you out on that part.

1) If I order an M Sport Diesel, is the 2vf option "Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension" standard or a $900 option in the US? If it's an option, does it add comfort to the ride or will it be more sporty/harsh? I would rather have it better with absorbing bumps. Is this option worth it? I do not want full adaptive suspension.

In the US 2VF is a $900 option. It adds both a more comfortable and sportier ride because it is essentially DDC with a sportier mapping than regular DDC. It will be more comfortable than not having DDC but less comfortable than a non M Sport line with DDC.

2) Will an Xline/Lux line give a smoother, more comfortable ride with comfort suspension? If so is it just marginally? I like the look of the M Sport quite a bit better.

Yes but not as much as you may think and that is only if you add DDC.

If you are looking for the most "comfort" oriented suspension, from least, to most:

1. M Sport WITHOUT Adaptive M
2. Non M Sport WITHOUT DDC
3. M Sport WITH Adaptive M
4. NON M Sport WITH DDC
5. Any X5 with the Dynamic Handling Package

I would recommend M Sport with Adaptive M. I think it looks the best and should give you enough comfort. Or you could go nuts and add Dynamic Handling.

Last edited by nicu2001; 11-15-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Well, I have done a good amount of reading here and as of now I am leaning towards the X5 M Sport (over the Cayenne).

- 2VM Dynamic Damper + Rear Air Suspension is $1500.00 if ordered without the the full adaptive suspension.

- Xline/Lux are cosmetic packages with the exception of the upgraded 19" rims, which would theorteically provide worse ride comfort than the stock 18" rims.

3) From what I read, ventilated seats made by BMW are just ok. Porsche ventilated seats are a no brainer. Those that have them, would you order them again? I live in MA so it can get fairly hot. Some like the look of the seats with ventilated holes with no contrast stiching. I am not sure I do. Haven't seen them in person.

- I ordered Ventilated Seats on the F15 as I personally like the look of the perforated leather over the non-perforated look - so the ventilation is secondary for me. I have no experience with the efficacy of the ventilation itself.

4) Do Multi Contour Mocha Nappa leather seats in an M Sport look any different than the Sport seat I have seen in photos here?

- I don't know. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

5) Does anyone who has ordered night vision on a past vehicle like it? I think the new one on the X5 has animal as well as pedestrian detection, so a symbol of an animal appears on the HUD as well. I would think this might help avoid a dear strike. Also adds a sense of security to know in a dark rainy road that there are no pedestrians walking ahead. For those that have had it, would you order again?

- I don't know. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

6) Are most of you avoiding the run flats (heavy and give a poor ride)? Is this what is recommended here? If so on the configurator, when I choose space saver spare it does not let me choose 19s...it defaults to 20s on the M Sport? Why is this? I figure the 19' will give a slightly better ride.

- All BMW stock tires are RF. Generally, the smaller the tire profile (i.e. the larger the rim) the worse the ride is. This effect is amplified with RF's.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicu2001 View Post
Hi, this is my first post and I have done a lot of suspension research so hopefully I can help you out on that part.

In the US 2VF is a $900 option. It adds both a more comfortable and sportier ride because it is essentially DDC with a sportier mapping than regular DDC. It will be more comfortable than not having DDC but less comfortable than a non M Sport line with DDC.

Yes but not as much as you may think and that is only if you add DDC. I have a picture at home that really explains this and will try to start a thread with it because I think it will be very helpful to everyone ordering a F15. For now you can look at it this way...

If you are looking for the most "comfort" oriented suspension, from least, to most:

1. M Sport WITHOUT Adaptive M
2. Non M Sport WITHOUT DDC
3. M Sport WITH Adaptive M
4. NON M Sport WITH DDC
5. Any X5 with the Dynamic Handling Package

I would recommend M Sport with Adaptive M. I think it looks the best and should give you enough comfort. Or you could go nuts and add Dynamic Handling.
Any reason why you did not list "M Sport with DDC"...that's what I ordered, just checking to make sure I did not order something ridiculous. I was hoping it was 4.5 in your list...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. Is the Adaptive M option basically a new name for the suspension option for the M Sport vehicle, which is exactly the same as Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension for the Xline/Lux line vehicles?

Last edited by SUV55; 11-14-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
nicu2001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbar1 View Post
Any reason why you did not list "M Sport with DDC"...that's what I ordered, just checking to make sure I did not order something ridiculous. I was hoping it was 4.5 in your list...
M Sport + DDC is not something you can order.

If you want DDC on the M Sport package you have to get "Adaptive M Suspension" which is essentially adding DDC with a sportier orientation setting.

I have a great slide that I will post tomorrow that will definitely help explain it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
nicu2001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. Is the Adaptive M option basically a new name for the suspension option for the M Sport vehicle, which is exactly the same as Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension for the Xline/Lux line vehicles?
Adaptive M is a $900 option in the US that adds electronic dampening that has a "sportier" setting. Without it your M Sport will not have electronic dampening. This means that "comfort" is more comfortable than a stock F15 or regular M Sport F15 but the comfort setting on Adaptive M is a little less "soft" than comfort on a regular X5 + DDC. Essentially if you want DDC on a M Sport you can only get it by adding Adaptive M. I will post the picture tomorrow which makes this much easier to understand but I think you have the general idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

Quote:
M Sport + DDC is not something you can order.

If you want DDC on the M Sport package you have to get "Adaptive M Suspension" which is essentially adding DDC with a sportier orientation setting.

I have a great slide that I will post tomorrow that will definitely help explain it.
Nicu2001

I definitely appreciate you explaining things...

The problem is I really do have an order in with an order number...M Sport with DDC (see screen shot from IVSR below).

Adaptive M was $900, but I am paying $1500 for DDC (2VM).

Hopefully we can all get to the bottom of this. My understanding is Adaptive M does not have air suspension, and what I ordered does. But bottom line, I don't want to spend or waste money for no reason.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
nicu2001
Rep

Quote:
Nicu2001

The problem is I really do have an order in with an order number...M Sport with DDC (see screen shot from IVSR below).

Hopefully we can all get to the bottom of this. My understanding is Adaptive M does not have air suspension, and what I ordered does. But bottom line, I don't want to spend or waste money for no reason.
I could definitely be wrong, I battled with my dealer over this which is why I was so sure. Also on the site it wont let you add DDC if you have M Sport but that could be a bug? Anyway there is a new thread with this info but hopefully this is helpful:

Last edited by nicu2001; 11-15-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

Quote:
I could definitely be wrong, I battled with my dealer over this which is why I was so sure. Also on the site it wont let you add DDC if you have M Sport but that could be a bug? Anyway I started a new thread with this info so that it doesn't get lost in here but hopefully this is helpful for you:

Nice graphic, this would help BMW a lot if they posted this info on the build page. I bet more people would tick off the option(s).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you Nicu. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 Audi RS etron GT

Now that Jason made your chart a Sticky, not sure how frequent the responses.
Here was my question:
I know there is also another Thread below this discussing the same questions (and sorry for beating a dead horse), but let's stick with this one...

If ordering, I would get the MSport w/out 3rd row and at least the $900 Adaptive M Suspension option. What more am I getting if I were to order the Dynamic Handling Package? My goal is sport not comfort. I would want the F15 to handle as flat as possible around corners unlike my E70. Is the ZDH worth a $3600 premium or would those monies be better off spent on other options for better resale?
'24-I20 iX 50; '23 RS etron GT; '23-G26 i4 M50*; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
nicu2001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
Now that Jason made your chart a Sticky, not sure how frequent the responses.
Here was my question:
I know there is also another Thread below this discussing the same questions (and sorry for beating a dead horse), but let's stick with this one...

If ordering, I would get the MSport w/out 3rd row and at least the $900 Adaptive M Suspension option. What more am I getting if I were to order the Dynamic Handling Package? My goal is sport not comfort. I would want the F15 to handle as flat as possible around corners unlike my E70. Is the ZDH worth a $3600 premium or would those monies be better off spent on other options for better resale?
If your goal was the most sport oriented driving irregardless of cost then Dynamic Handling would be the way to go hands down. I understand it is a very impressive upgrade to handling but very expensive. It depends on budget / what you would have to sacrifice to add DHP. I decided to go with m sport + adaptive M over non m sport + DHP because i liked the looks of m sport better and feel that adaptive m should provide enough sport oriented driving in a suv for my driving style. In a budget free world i would have gone m sport + dhp. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 Audi RS etron GT

Quote:
If your goal was the most sport oriented driving irregardless of cost then Dynamic Handling would be the way to go hands down. I understand it is a very impressive upgrade to handling but very expensive. It depends on budget / what you would have to sacrifice to add DHP. I decided to go with m sport + adaptive M over non m sport + DHP because i liked the looks of m sport better and feel that adaptive m should provide enough sport oriented driving in a suv for my driving style. In a budget free world i would have gone m sport + dhp. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that's what I figured. It is an expensive option and rare so it is difficult to compare. If I order (which I guess can not be until Jan due to supply issues), must haves for me are: MSport, 20", mocha, fine pure wood, ZDH, H/K, rear camera, and spare tire. I like the LEDs, but from the pics of the standard xenon, they look impressive
'24-I20 iX 50; '23 RS etron GT; '23-G26 i4 M50*; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have any of you driven the M Sport with Adaptive M on comfort setting on a fairly bumpy road vs Dynamic Handling? With DH, are we talking a 10% improvement in comfort or more like 30% over Adaptive M?

The chart is very helpful but just how accurate is it? It says an M Sport with Adaptive M on comfort setting is more comfortable/smoother ride than an ML350. Does this sound right?

Last edited by SUV55; 11-16-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
sf_bay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 (awaiting)

Quote:
Nicu2001

Interesting - I am facing the same issue where the dealer won't let me get 2VM with M Sport. Did you take delivery of your car yet? (and if so, how was it configured?) Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #17
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Assuming the chart is accurate, what it doesn't show is where the other cars rank with their various comfort/sport settings, that said I don't know if they all have them, but certainly the Cayenne offers additional sports mode.
Appreciate 0