BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

11-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Stoptech st60/40 VS. Stoptech Trophy...

Any input here? Strictly for tracking...

Does the trophy kit really perform any better? Stopping power, consistency and fade resistance are most important.
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post

Does the trophy kit really perform any better? Stopping power, consistency and fade resistance are most important.
On the track, the Trophy Sport will provide you with more cooling therefore better fading resistance.

The finish on the Trophy Sport will also remain fresh event after event without fading. The painted calipers will likely fade after a few track events.

Trophy Sport is also lighter so you are saving unsprung weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Tahoe/E92 M3

Quote:

If its strictly for tracking I agree, the Trophy is the way to go. Its a step above the others designed specifically for track use. Regardless of the kit you get I recommend a front splitter with cooling ducts then they will be absolute beasts. Airflow is crucial!
      01-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I didn't think it was worth the $1,400 difference when I got mine. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have a little extra mass in the brakes for increased thermal capacity.

There have been a few people here with the Trophies where the finished went bad pretty quick. Not sure if it was a bad batch or a they used some strong wheel cleaner.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

Quote:

No.

IMO the Trophy kit is an aesthetic upgrade for some. I've driven the same car, E90 M3, at Watkins Glen with both kits and there was never an issue with fade, consistency or stopping power between the two kits.

Last edited by Bx Tpr; 01-18-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I couldn't justify the extra expense, so I got the standard kit - from HP actually. The kits look like they spec out the same so I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I think if you're doing a true track only and that's the main consideration above all the Essex kit thats upcoming looks very promising. Although they are priced closer to the Trophy kits.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Get some titanium backing plates and your finish will likely not turn. Mine are still a nice red and I've only ever seen one set of ST red calipers turn brown.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Get some titanium backing plates and your finish will likely not turn. Mine are still a nice red and I've only ever seen one set of ST red calipers turn brown.
Details? Link?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
I read somewhere that you mentioned even a 40/40 setup would suffice.

How does that affect bias though?

Funny. Ive always been that guy who says no one needs this shit the car can handle a lot more than one could throw at it aka a professional would prob be faster in a bone stock car but i find myself upgrading all this crap for track for confidence and better wear and tear. I better get fast soon or ill be that guy with a boat load of mods and slow

Next mission is nannies off, start off slow and gain speed. Mdm has gotten me to a confort level already to start dsc off. Been reading speed secrets too so mentally preparing for it too (which is the biggest deterent to go dsc off as in look theres a walk there, another one there, etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

Funny. Ive always been that guy who says no one needs this shit the car can handle a lot more than one could throw at it aka a professional would prob be faster in a bone stock car but i find myself upgrading all this crap for track for confidence and better wear and tear. I better get fast soon or ill be that guy with a boat load of mods and slow

Next mission is nannies off, start off slow and gain speed. Mdm has gotten me to a confort level already to start dsc off. Been reading speed secrets too so mentally preparing for it too (which is the biggest deterent to go dsc off as in look theres a walk there, another one there, etc)
i wanted to run this weekend with the mdm from the full Nannie but i installed a omp wheel now i cant access the mdm....might have to go full off...will see what happens
      01-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta
Quote:

i wanted to run this weekend with the mdm from the full Nannie but i installed a omp wheel now i cant access the mdm....might have to go full off...will see what happens
Can you relocate the button under a flip safety toggle. Like lambos? Or better, like fast and furious and a laptop?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

I went 40-40 and seems like a good option. Plenty of power and haven't had heat issues either. I do keep stepping up in pads to try and really make them clamp down.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:

I went 40-40 and seems like a good option. Plenty of power and haven't had heat issues either. I do keep stepping up in pads to try and really make them clamp down.
Cool. Thinking of a bbk. This truly doesnt end. It went from diy things to smaller things and now suspension and bbk?! Maybe just fronts are good enough for now. Dont know if a bigger kit will fit my enkei nt03
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Thinking of a bbk. This truly doesnt end. It went from diy things to smaller things and now suspension and bbk?! Maybe just fronts are good enough for now. Dont know if a bigger kit will fit my enkei nt03
I did my bbk myself. Not that bad. I don't like my mod money going to labor.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
Details? Link?

Thanks!
knsbrakes.com sells the titanium shims.

http://knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/14...s+-+.5mm+Thick

http://knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/14...ms+-+1mm+Thick
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Unless you have started to push the OEM system with upgraded sections then I doubt you will even push the ST 60/40 to its limits. I say go with the ST 60/40 if you really feel the need for a BBK. Or do minor upgrades to the OEM (Fluid, Pads, SS lines, Titanium shims and maybe a better Rotor) and use the rest of that money to get driving lessons to get your skills to the level in which a BBK is really needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

I feel better using a BBK at 60% capacity than using my OEM brakes at 100% capacity. It's always easier to drive harder than it is to push something beyond it's limits.

Thanks for the info on the backing plates. A google search revealed quite a few options.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I did my bbk myself. Not that bad. I don't like my mod money going to labor.
true that....i meant DIY in terms or random mods to car just for the heck of it LOL - i guess that is the jdm in me.

sometimes paying for mods doesn't even work...i've heard of bbk's being installed and not being able to bleed fluids because it was upside down (didn't even know) DERRR

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I feel better using a BBK at 60% capacity than using my OEM brakes at 100% capacity. It's always easier to drive harder than it is to push something beyond it's limits.
That is a good point but this is also why I said that if he needs one and can afford it then just get it. I doubt with the upgrades I stated he would be pushing the OEM to 100%.

Glad you found the shims, I think the website I stated has great prices compared to most.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I find that once you have increased capacity you find a way to use all of it fairly quickly and are right back at the same point only quicker laps. People don't add power then not use it right!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #21
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I live in Florida, so heat is an issue. Sebring is my home track, so speeds are high, the track is heavy on brakes. I drive in the red/instructor group, so I use the brakes pretty hard.
I'm one of those who finally installed a BBK (ST60), and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I installed front BBK only. Excellent track performance and modulation with carboteck and Endless track pads. The street pads are very good too. I now get 6-8 track days out of a set of pads. I wouls have saved a lot of money if I had installed my BBK sooner. Also, I feel that I am not using the system at 100% of its capability, so I feel safer.

Before that I went through all the time and money of: Motul brake fluid, track pads (Pagid Yellows, Carbotechs), cooked and replaced my OEM front calipers, added a Cantrell brake cooling kit. The cooling kit meant that the pads last 2 days instead of 1 day. And I felt I was running the OEM brakes at 110%.
      01-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #22
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:

Here's a link to the titanium backing plates that I use...

http://www.zeckhausen.com/StopTech/c...s.htm#Titanium

The reason I prefer the ST40 setup is the better pad selection, cheaper consumables and less hassle in fitting wheels for the minimal if any increase in performance. The ST40 pads are 2mm thicker based on actual measurements. Just a visual tells me that the ST60 uses 3 smaller pistons on each side vs 2 larger ones on the ST40...not sure if the ST60 has more piston area which would give the car more braking force. But the ST40 caliper is lighter and the rotor is smaller.

My guess is that they are about the same in terms of performance.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0