12-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

UK Dealer Margins

Hi all.

Just starting the negotiation process with my local dealer, from whom I've baught 4 cars from in the past 6 years.

I've had a quote from them and when I asked about discounts he said they don't give any on the X5. Blow me down!

I know dealers are giving discounts in UK but does anyone have a feel as to the typical margin dealers work to? 10%?

I got ~10% off my E70 in May 2012 and I will be bu**ered if I'm going to pay list price for something thats going for the best part of £55k. I'd rather wait, probably until summer 2014, until supply exceeds demand then get the deal that's good for me rather than the dealer.

NB current order to delivery I've been quoted is up to 12 weeks.

Thoughts anyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
pete_d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M Sport

Drive the deal were quoting almost 10% off until Monday this week; I was quoted £5800 off a 40d M Sport with a list price of £61k. Broadspeed will do £3700 off the same car, so I would use that as a starting point. Unfortunately all BMWs have disappeared from the DTD website now, but I suspect the deal is still there.

Personally if I can't get at least £6k discount on a new X5, I'll buy a Range Rover Sport. It's worth the premium at list, but not if the Beemer is discounted. Needless to say there are no discounts over about 2% on Solihull's finest!

Not sure when the BMW UK financial year ends, but if it is in 2 weeks, it must be worth a cheeky offer?

Pete
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I can put you in touch with a local (to me) main dealer that will give 8%. Pm me.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

My dealer says quote: "BMW aren't offering any discounts, but the dealership are in a position to help with the discounts"
Any discounts are on the base car, so extras etc are charged at full price.
I got close to 6% plus cracking trade-in price for 5 year old X5 30dM,
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I got 8% on base plus options plus above book on trade-in (f11), against a 3.0d msport. It was too easy which made me a little nervous, as it's a new model. It's actually good to hear some bmw dealers don't feel like they need to discount.

Conversely dealing with the landrover stealers (RRS) was a mare. It almost felt like they wanted me to pay them just to talk about the thing, and any talk of discount resulted in the whole dealership laughing in chorus. Well not really, but you get the picture.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Thanks for your comments. Looks like I am going to have to shop around which hacks me off but hey ho!
Will wait until end of January to place the order one would hope with the end of the month they would be more compliant to offer customers a competitive deal
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Baunton,
The ELMs group (Cambridge, Stansted and Bedford) were running a winter/Christmas promotion event last weekend. There were several discounts across the range including the unadvertised X5 (dealer contribution) discounts.
A lot of stock was pre-registered new cars but in my opinion it was also the time to pickup a new car.
My wife, partly jealous of me getting a new X5, bought a new X1 with an 8 grand discount of a 31K list car.
The next opportunity I'd suggest is the new reg window/before March 1st. I'm sure there will be pre-reg'd X5 by then with decent discounts that the dealers will want to shift.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
Baunton,
The ELMs group (Cambridge, Stansted and Bedford) were running a winter/Christmas promotion event last weekend. There were several discounts across the range including the unadvertised X5 (dealer contribution) discounts.
A lot of stock was pre-registered new cars but in my opinion it was also the time to pickup a new car.
My wife, partly jealous of me getting a new X5, bought a new X1 with an 8 grand discount of a 31K list car.
The next opportunity I'd suggest is the new reg window/before March 1st. I'm sure there will be pre-reg'd X5 by then with decent discounts that the dealers will want to shift.
mmmm. Thanks again. I guess the problem with that is getting a car with the spec. you want..not what they want to sell you.
X1 eh...my wife also tried one of those before she got the Evoque...quite a bumpy ride, IMO. Similar to her 1 series but higher up.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
ADGrant
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
mmmm. Thanks again. I guess the problem with that is getting a car with the spec. you want..not what they want to sell you.
X1 eh...my wife also tried one of those before she got the Evoque...quite a bumpy ride, IMO. Similar to her 1 series but higher up.
The X1 is basically an E91 wagon with slightly raised suspension. The 1 is also based on the E90 so I am not surprised they feel similar. Great drivers car but not much space.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

My wife is upgrading from a 2003 318 series touring!...
She likes it, got it at a great price inc nearly £3k for her old car so win win!
Its the recent face-lifted M Sport trim and setup so drives pretty well - bear in mind the automatic gearbox will be a novelty for this driver!
Plus hopefully will keep her out of my X!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Hi all.

Just starting the negotiation process with my local dealer, from whom I've baught 4 cars from in the past 6 years.

I've had a quote from them and when I asked about discounts he said they don't give any on the X5. Blow me down!

I know dealers are giving discounts in UK but does anyone have a feel as to the typical margin dealers work to? 10%?

I got ~10% off my E70 in May 2012 and I will be bu**ered if I'm going to pay list price for something thats going for the best part of £55k. I'd rather wait, probably until summer 2014, until supply exceeds demand then get the deal that's good for me rather than the dealer.

NB current order to delivery I've been quoted is up to 12 weeks.

Thoughts anyone.
I'll say it if no one else will. Am I the only American on here wondering what bu**ered stands for?
      12-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
I'll say it if no one else will. Am I the only American on here wondering what bu**ered stands for?
Buggered!
Appreciate 0