BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Rusty PFC 08

So, just want to see if anyone else had this problem. No harsh chemicals were used, in fact, acid would dissolve rust - just in case anyone asks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e90 6spd

Damm u live by the ocean maybe?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyMikee View Post
Damm u live by the ocean maybe?
I don't but I do drive around quite a lot and the UK has the highest road salt usage per mile/km of road. Still, PFC do claim to have durable corrosion resistance for their pads based on their marketing material.

While some might say it's just cosmetic, I have found that the rust particles accumulates and hinders the proper release of the pads within the caliper when I release the brake pedal - which doesn't help especially for track use.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Wow its on the back though right? Can you just remove a bit and just use them till they die?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Wow its on the back though right? Can you just remove a bit and just use them till they die?
The rust is everywhere. Too much rust to sand down, plus it'll just come back again. This amount of rust occurred within the space of a few months.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Another view.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

It's probably from road salt if you drove on them in the winter. The backing plate is probably just mild steel and when exposed to salty water, it will corrode fast.

The way I see it, you have two options:

1) Bitch to PFC and hope that gets you somewhere (doubtful).
2) Sand them (or have them blasted) and shoot a coat of high temp paint on them, put them back on, and go on with your life.

I am still confused how the rust on the pads is causing the calipers to bind?
      01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

PFC have indeed agreed on a replacement set.

No doubt winter salt has played a role, but if you look at the marketing claims by PFC regarding how corrosion resistant their pads are, this is something that shouldn't happen, especially given that I wash the car regularly and thoroughly during winter.

Rust accumulated around the pad ears (both on the pad ears and the caliper), which hindered sliding action of the caliper; I experienced sticking calipers as a result. One would have to constantly sand and apply copper slip.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Congrats on the replacement. I am still doubting that rust on the pad ears could hinder the caliper movement. I would check the slide pins to make sure that they move freely. Have you inspected the piston boot to make sure nothing has damaged the piston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post

No doubt winter salt has played a role, but if you look at the marketing claims by PFC regarding how corrosion resistant their pads are, this is something that shouldn't happen, especially given that I wash the car regularly and thoroughly during winter.

Rust accumulated around the pad ears (both on the pad ears and the caliper), which hindered sliding action of the caliper; I experienced sticking calipers as a result. One would have to constantly sand and apply copper slip.
      01-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO
Congrats on the replacement. I am still doubting that rust on the pad ears could hinder the caliper movement. I would check the slide pins to make sure that they move freely. Have you inspected the piston boot to make sure nothing has damaged the piston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post

Believe me it's the accumulation of rust; the surface between the pad ears and caliper carrier are coarse (from rust) - coarse surfaces = friction = reduced sliding motion. Pins and pistons were fine.
Appreciate 0