BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

X5 Headlight Question

Ok, my X5 came in with damage to the drivers headlight lens and a small chip on the bumper.
The dealer fixed both before I bought it.
I've only had the car a few weeks and its just has about 500 miles on it.
Last week a check engine light came on and that was fixed yesterday.
When I drove the X5 home last night, the first time driving it in the dark it seemed like the drivers headlight was slightly misaligned compared to the right side. On a total dark road the right side light pattern was farther out vs the drivers.
When I got home I looked at the headlights and noticed something strange.
On the bottom of the drivers headlight, where it was replaced is a think what looks like black tape running the length on the paint of the car just under the bottom lip of the headlight lens, this does not appear on the right side of the car.
Here are some pics?
So which side is correct? The one with the black tape or without?
I think it was put back together incorrectly on the drivers side and that black tape shouldn't be there which could be causing a slight misalignment of the light.

Pic without the black tape:

Pic with the black tape:
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

The tape might be protective. The repair manuals instruct technicians to protect areas of paint when removing certain elements like lights.
      03-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Low beams are normal to have right go further out. Its set up to illuminate side of the road as far as possible. left puts more light in the immediate area ahead of you and blurs out to the left. High beams even out the pattern and flood as far ahead as possible, but also aim a bit higher so will glare into oncoming traffic.

Go out and test the high beams and if the light cluster is misaligned it will be immediately apparent.
      03-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #4
phantomac2
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 (KS81)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothfly View Post
On a total dark road the right side light pattern was farther out vs the drivers.
That's correct for every car that's driven on the right hand side of the road and has been for decades.

For countries with left hand side driven roads it's the other way around.

That way you don't disturb cars that are coming towards you too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

That tape does not look right. It is either a protective tape (as mentioned above) or it is just a bad job re-assembling the lights. Next time at the dealer tell them to do it right.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

Yeah, pretty sick and tired of dealing with this dealer and the X5.
They are all nice, but I'm spending too much time and I paid a pretty penny for this car and I'm not getting anything for my efforts and they keep messing up.
Appreciate 0