BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Need Advice on Wheel/Tire Upgrade - 20", 21", or 22"?

Hey guys. I'm a new member. I've been doing a bunch of reading for the first time and keeping up to date with a lot of your threads. I don't like to add spam to threads, but this is a genuine question, and I do need advice from those more knowledgeable than me. I posted this question in a random thread asking for help but received no response. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

I just bought a Mineral White 2014 X5 F15 5.0i with X-Line Package and Black Dakota interior. It has the cold weather package with the 19" 449 Orbit Gray Wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Ice+Snow r-f. 255/50R19 107V. I just posted these wheels and tires in the classifieds section for sale. They're brand new. I just picked up the car from the dealer and drove it home and it's been sleeping in the garage for the past two days because I don't want to add any wear to the wheels and tires.

I want to upgrade to 21" because I love the way the 599 21" wheels look. However, I don't want to fork out 6K. I did a lot of research and found XO Caracas Brushed Black Wheels in 20" and 22". They're concave rims. They don't make a 21" for the rim. Do you think 22" is too big? Here are some pics of 22" rim on a few cars:

1) Old Infiniti FX35 (Verde Parallax rims):

2) New Infiniti FX50 (XO Caracas rims):

3) New Mercedes G-Wagon (XO Caracas rims):

All advice or help is much appreciated. I know I have to buy rims with 74.1 center bore. The stock dimensions of my current wheels are 19x9. I looked into the ADV7.1's - beautiful rims- they make a 21" and the guy said 21x10.5 is recommended on all four. Only thing is, they're way overpriced. Do you guys have any other 21" options or suggestions. I did look into Verde Parallax and Verde Impulse rims as well as Niche Circuit rims (these alongside the Eurosport Monza resemble the ADV7.1). Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The ride on bigger rims may become an issue, and especially if you stay with RFT, a small pothole may ruin both a tire and possibly the wheel. Now, that's true as well with a 'normal' tire and wheel package when you go bigger (note, the owner's manual warns you of this as well). So, keep that in mind...there's a reason why taller tires are more reliable, and they cost less, too...not much of any sidewall when you get big to cushion things.

There are tradeoffs between looks, handling, reliability, and comfort and only you can decide what's best. Note, the lower profile/larger wheel packages are also normally higher performance, and if longevity is a factor, you need to filter that into the equation...performance tires will not wear as well as a higher profile version in general.

The three issues are overall diameter of the tire/wheel package - you need to keep that within 2% of the OEM, and F/R which may limit your tire choices. And, the offset of the wheel and the width can make a difference in whether it will fit, both at full lock (both directions), and full travel. Nothing worse than poking a hole in your tire when you hit a bump or try to turn!

And, it's illegal to have the tire outside of the wheelwell, to protect those behind you from thrown debris that might be caught or kicked up by the tires, so the offset is important that way, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The ride on bigger rims may become an issue, and especially if you stay with RFT, a small pothole may ruin both a tire and possibly the wheel. Now, that's true as well with a 'normal' tire and wheel package when you go bigger (note, the owner's manual warns you of this as well). So, keep that in mind...there's a reason why taller tires are more reliable, and they cost less, too...not much of any sidewall when you get big to cushion things.

There are tradeoffs between looks, handling, reliability, and comfort and only you can decide what's best. Note, the lower profile/larger wheel packages are also normally higher performance, and if longevity is a factor, you need to filter that into the equation...performance tires will not wear as well as a higher profile version in general.

The three issues are overall diameter of the tire/wheel package - you need to keep that within 2% of the OEM, and F/R which may limit your tire choices. And, the offset of the wheel and the width can make a difference in whether it will fit, both at full lock (both directions), and full travel. Nothing worse than poking a hole in your tire when you hit a bump or try to turn!

And, it's illegal to have the tire outside of the wheelwell, to protect those behind you from thrown debris that might be caught or kicked up by the tires, so the offset is important that way, too.
Hey buddy, thank you so much for the valuable information. I was reading all about that as well. I found a few threads where guys have put 22" without any issues. Naturally if you hit a really bad pothole, you're done. I live in Maryland and I don't run into many potholes, if any. I rarely ever go into Washington, D.C. where many potholes exist. I also drive really attentively. I've always been that way since owning my 2004 Infiniti FX35. I want to keep that sort of feel with the road. Though not as fast, the car handles really well and has a nice tight suspension. I feel the ground, but I like it. In this thread (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=923595), this guy put 22" BMW replica wheels with winter tires that seem to have a nice thick tread. They are 22x10 fronts and 22x11 rears. But the tires are 295/30/22 all around studded Hakkapeliitta 295/30/22. Some guys were saying it's a discontinued Hakka 5 since that's the only 22" tire they make. I really am considering the 22" XO Caracas 22x10.5 or 22x10 all the way around. Should I stick with 22x9? Thanks again for the information and help. Seriously.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Personally, I don't care what the vehicle looks like, I want it to be functional, and to me, bigger wheels aren't an issue. I can understand why some people like them. The decision is yours. Run the calculations on the overall tire/wheel sizes to verify that your gearing, speedometer, odometer, and ABS functionality won't be compromised. ANd, then when you buy your tire/wheels, get a guarantee you can exchange them if they don't fit properly without a penalty.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Personally, I don't care what the vehicle looks like, I want it to be functional, and to me, bigger wheels aren't an issue. I can understand why some people like them. The decision is yours. Run the calculations on the overall tire/wheel sizes to verify that your gearing, speedometer, odometer, and ABS functionality won't be compromised. ANd, then when you buy your tire/wheels, get a guarantee you can exchange them if they don't fit properly without a penalty.
Really appreciate the advice, bro. I do value performance/how the car handles more than aesthetics, but I've grown accustomed to a larger wheel since owning an FX35 with 20" OEM wheels. That car handles beautifully. I've had it since 2004 and it still runs like a champ with 120K miles. I prefer the stiffer ride as opposed to a mercedes/lexus type feel. Thankfully, I am ordering my wheels/tires from a good friend who has experience in this area so the fitment shouldn't be an issue. I just like to do my own research and double check everything before-hand, which is why I'm asking questions here and reading up on everything before diving in. Thanks again buddy!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I'd look at www.tirerack.com if for nothing else, to get an idea what they know will fit. Glad I could help.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'd look at www.tirerack.com if for nothing else, to get an idea what they know will fit. Glad I could help.
Yeah, that's where I usually order my tires from. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
BlackLemon
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13-750i, 15-Hurc., 14 X5 50i

I think the rims on those photos look cheap. You just bought an 80k SUV, spend the 6k and get the 599's. You will be much happier.

I have a 14 mineral white 50i M-sport, I went with the 375's as i feel they go better with the lines of the truck.

Congrats on the new purchase
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLemon View Post
I think the rims on those photos look cheap. You just bought an 80k SUV, spend the 6k and get the 599's. You will be much happier.

I have a 14 mineral white 50i M-sport, I went with the 375's as i feel they go better with the lines of the truck.

Congrats on the new purchase
Thanks for your input, bro. As much as I'd love to get the 599's, it's a little out of my budget after the vehicle purchase. The 375's look really nice too. I saw them in another thread here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=909810.

Here's a video of the XO Caracas 20" rims in black on a C63:
They're made really well from what I have read and some people I have spoken to that have put them on vehicles. They look pretty sick for an alternative to Vossen CV5s. That's just my humble opinion.

I just saw the Verde Parallax on an X6 and agree that those definitely look cheap:

The Eurosport Monza 22" wheels are also very nice:

Last edited by opasha; 04-05-2014 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Caracas look sick
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
atranphoto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

I'm thinking about the 22" XO Caracas wheels. Too big? What do you guys think?
      04-08-2014, 12:54 AM   #12
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

I ordered 22" X6M 310M Replicas (from 2014 model) like in this thread:
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=923595. I take no credit for these pics. Just makes it easier for everyone if I show them in one place. Below are some pics from his thread. He has 22" replicas that BMW themselves installed for him. He ordered from the US. They fit perfectly and have all the right measurements including the 74.1 center bore - obviously you will need to put your own TPMS sensors (from your current oem wheels or buy them seperately) and factory hub cabs if you want to keep that fresh BMW stock look - that's what I'm doing.

On the new X6M - 21" factory version:

22" Replicas on 2013 X5:

I think this rim is absolutely amazing. I ordered it from these guys in California called Wheel Plus.Here's their ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-BMW-X5-X6...a276db&vxp=mtr

They're very professional and helpful. Ask for Diego. Tell them Omar referred you if you want the same setup. I just called them up and got wheels with 22" Delinte Desert D8 285/35R22 All-Season Tires (these are the best tires Delinte makes from everything I've read and have solid reviews) all for $1628. That's a solid deal in my opinion. Some guys don't care for replicas. If they look that good on our car and last year's X5...why the hell not? I think it's better than spending 6K on factory 21" in my opinion; plus, 21" tires are harder to find/more expensive. I just wanted to share my find with everyone.

I'll post pics for you all once they arrive and are installed on my Mineral White X-Line X5 5.0i. Cheers!

Last edited by opasha; 04-08-2014 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Opasha,

Agree with you, 21" tires are harder to find and cost more.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Opasha,

Agree with you, 21" tires are harder to find and cost more.
Yeah, bro. I love the 21s. They are amazing. So no disrespect or negativity towards anyone that has them - I'm happy for them. Just for cost effective purposes and realistically how often a larger rim tire might need to be changed, I liked the 22" option .
Appreciate 0