BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

BMW Assist/SOS Button Loud Alarm Noise/Malfunction?

Hey guys. So we have 10 years of BMW Assist - from what I remember reading it's standard for all '14 BMW vehicles including our X5. I have the paperwork for it, etc. We have the Customer Information and password, but nothing setup for it yet. The service guy at the dealer said just push the SOS button and it should contact BMW Assist reps and they will walk us through everything. I downloaded the My BMW Remote apk and also Send to Car apk (android applications that work with BMW Assist and Google Maps). In order to use them, you have to enter in your BMW Assist username and password. We have our customer information (just first and last name, phone number, vin, password, etc) - no username yet. That's why we were calling to set it up so that we can use these applications, etc.

Well today, I pushed the SOS button. Nothing happened. Then I held it for 3-5 seconds and it started blinking Green and the screen showed up a blue BMW Assist Emergency Call screen on the LCD display with my Latitude/Longitude coordinates - it was in the process of connecting and just stayed that way. While this occurred, a really loud infinite interior speaker alarm started going off. Best way to describe it is BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE(E's continue forever)P. Then, a BMW assist rep called my phone saying is everything ok? I said yeah, we're trying to setup our BMW Assist Account for the first time. When you press SOS, you're supposed to be greeted by BMW Assist rep because you can use it for traffic, help, and lastly emergency situations. The rep on the phone was surprised by the sound and said: yeah, I've never ever heard that kind of sound come from a BMW before, esp with BMW SOS. Something must be wrong with your vehicle." She then disconnected the Emergency Call from the vehicle and that stopped the sound. I was like great! Another problem to add besides the scratchy speakers, which I asked her about in relation to this sound. She had no clue because they're not trained for the technical aspects of BMW vehicles. The sound stayed on - I could not do anything with the iDrive button or other buttons around it. It was just stuck at that screen. I even turned off the car, restarted the power, then the engine, locked, and unlocked the car with the remote - nothing except her having to disconnect the line from her end to the car.

Anyone have a similar issue? I tried looking through countless threads and forums, but people seem to have different issues such as static, crackling sound, or no sound at all. Any help is appreciated. I have to take my car for service to get the new speaker installed (ordered from Germany), so I will have to address this issue as well. Thanks.

UPDATE: The noise only happens sometimes when you first press the SOS button for the first time - when you do it a second time and beyond, it works easily without problem. I spoke to BMW ASSIST and now the SOS button works perfectly fine. They're very helpful and courteous in regards to helping and figuring out stuff. Now, I can use the SEND TO CAR and MY BMW REMOTE applications for android!!

Last edited by opasha; 04-30-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0