BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

music from bluetooth or USB pauses often

when I put my Iphone 5 on either USB or Bluetooth, it works through the car audio, but about once every minute or two, it pauses. It appears to lose the connection and this pauses the music and I have to press the icontrol knob to get it to reconnect and resume playing.

It does it the same way on both USB and bluetooth.

I use this to listen to Sirius radio because you can listen to a whole show from the app instead of just listening to whatever is live. You can pause the show and then resume it when you get back in the car where you left off.

any suggestions for this apparently intermittent glitch that causes the music to pause?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

Reboot and Repair to iDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothfly View Post
Reboot and Repair to iDrive
I'm not sure what that means? Please be more specific.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Are you streaming the show through Sirus app or is it fully downloaded to the phone? My guess is it's streaming and like anything that streams, sometimes it plays faster than it can download.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Are you streaming the show through Sirus app or is it fully downloaded to the phone? My guess is it's streaming and like anything that streams, sometimes it plays faster than it can download.
so, you are suggesting that when the playing of the audio reaches the end (when it hasnt downloaded the next part of the song) then it pauses itself? That seems like it could be what is happening. It is happening to me on the Sirius app with audio that I am NOT downloading to my phone. I'll try saving the audio to my phone (I think you can do that in the sirius app) and see if that works.

thanks for the idea.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
so, you are suggesting that when the playing of the audio reaches the end (when it hasnt downloaded the next part of the song) then it pauses itself? That seems like it could be what is happening. It is happening to me on the Sirius app with audio that I am NOT downloading to my phone. I'll try saving the audio to my phone (I think you can do that in the sirius app) and see if that works.

thanks for the idea.
Yeah, just my guess though. I haven't used the Sirius app.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post

thanks for the idea.
I tried this yesterday by downloading the radio show of interest and then I even put the phone in airplane mode (not desirable, but wanted to be sure that it wasn't somehow streaming the audio) and it still has these pauses in the play of the radio show that require me to press the icontrol knob to get it to resume.

I called BMW USA and they connected me to the BMW Genius guy who said that the Sirius APP is just not supported. When an iphone app isn't supported it may do odd things and they can't / won't fix it.

I understand why they wouldn't "support" the app as the subscription for the Sirius is less expensive to be used from a phone than for a car, so why would they want to make it effectively cheaper to listen to Sirius radio.

I asked if the "BMW genius" guy if they would be supporting the Sirius app in the future and he said that he had no way of knowing that.

I think I'm back to using the earphone jack and the audio in which isn't as smooth but does work without the pauses.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

^ AUX audio with a headphone input will give you the best audio clarity. Bluetooth, sadly, will always have some interference in comparison (the interference becomes less apparent the more expensive your audio setup - Standard Hifi < HK < B&O). Of course it's a matter of preference/convenience. I've stuck with my AUX and love the sound now even for Standard HiFi. This is the AUX cable I currently use and it works phenomenally well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G3UK5C/...ter_B0089W5PLU (3 Feet 2 Angle version).
      05-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
^ AUX audio with a headphone input will give you the best audio clarity. Bluetooth, sadly, will always have some interference in comparison (the interference becomes less apparent the more expensive your audio setup - Standard Hifi < HK < B&O). Of course it's a matter of preference/convenience. I've stuck with my AUX and love the sound now even for Standard HiFi. This is the AUX cable I currently use and it works phenomenally well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G3UK5C/...ter_B0089W5PLU (3 Feet 2 Angle version).
Does this cable fit through your case? The cable that I have now requires me to take off my case.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Does this cable fit through your case? The cable that I have now requires me to take off my case.
Yes, it does.