05-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Thule roof cargo box fit

Hi All,

Looking to add a roof cargo box to my X5 with flush rails and Thule aeroblade bars. It would be for occasional use for camping etc. The boxes come in various lengths and sizes which can interfere with opening of the rear hatch. Just curious if anyone has successfully installed the Thule Force XL (84" long) without affecting the hatch opening.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

We went skiing early March with a Thule Motion 800 on the roof.

More than big enough, all the ski's fit , and you can add a bunch of other stuff like ski- and snowboots.

The size is perfect because it doesn't stick out past the windshield in front, and you can stll open the back without touching the roof box. Go fo a longer box, and you will have issues in front if you don't want the rear to touch when opening the back (BMW roof racks have predetermined fixing points on the rails, and the fit with a Thule box is not always easy)

And the color (black) is a perfect match to my sapphire black 30d M sport

Only drawback : with the BMW roof rack it becomes very high and I needed a small step to access the box. And forget about most underground or indoor parking garages: car+ rack+box are over 2m30 high and that's more than most parking garages in Europe will allow. Luckely we go to the same hotel each year and their garage works
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
We went skiing early March with a Thule Motion 800 on the roof.

More than big enough, all the ski's fit , and you can add a bunch of other stuff like ski- and snowboots.

The size is perfect because it doesn't stick out past the windshield in front, and you can stll open the back without touching the roof box. Go fo a longer box, and you will have issues in front if you don't want the rear to touch when opening the back (BMW roof racks have predetermined fixing points on the rails, and the fit with a Thule box is not always easy)

And the color (black) is a perfect match to my sapphire black 30d M sport

Only drawback : with the BMW roof rack it becomes very high and I needed a small step to access the box. And forget about most underground or indoor parking garages: car+ rack+box are over 2m30 high and that's more than most parking garages in Europe will allow. Luckely we go to the same hotel each year and their garage works
Thanks for the information Eu001939 - the box i'm looking at (Force XL) is only 2cm longer than the Motion 800 so it should fit nicely. Good point about the parking garages!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Thank you for the info.

I wonder if the Thule WingBar Edge 9593 roof rail will solve the "high" issue as this item is available in Low Profile Fit

http://www.thule.com/en/kg/products/...-9593-_-959300
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13
Thank you for the info.

I wonder if the Thule WingBar Edge 9593 roof rail will solve the "high" issue as this item is available in Low Profile Fit

http://www.thule.com/en/kg/products/...-9593-_-959300
They are the same height as the BMW bars. So it won't make a difference...
Appreciate 0