BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Understanding the Premium Package

I see three items listed with the Premium Package; soft close doors, comfort access, and satellite radio.

Am I correct to assume that if I want keyless entry and satellite radio I must buy the soft close doors? That doesn't seem to make sense, especially for $2,700 US. I don't want the door closing option but I like the keyless feature and satellite radio!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
carypearson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6 spd

Premium also is how you get leather seats. Dakota Leather is $1400 on its own...so you are paying $1300 for Softclose, Sat Radio, and Comfort Access.

Since Comfort Access is $500 on its own, and Softclose is $750 on its own, you are getting Sat Radio for $50...which is about right :-) (I had XM in my Accord and my A4...Don't miss it in my 335xi)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carypearson View Post
Premium also is how you get leather seats. Dakota Leather is $1400 on its own...so you are paying $1300 for Softclose, Sat Radio, and Comfort Access.

Since Comfort Access is $500 on its own, and Softclose is $750 on its own, you are getting Sat Radio for $50...which is about right :-) (I had XM in my Accord and my A4...Don't miss it in my 335xi)
Using the "Build Your Own" feature on the BWM website I don't see a way of separating these options, plus it allows me to order the Dakota Leather option without specifying the Premium Package. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
EIGHTLUG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5d

Great question! I've always wondered if Comfort Access was available as a single option. Is it possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
BMW_F1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi e-tron 55

They are not available separately on the F15 X5. carypearson is basing the prices from other vehicles where these options have been a la carte.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
carypearson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6 spd

BMW F1 has it correct.

I was basing the prices for those items on other vehicles in BMWs line up where they are available seperately.

I may have this wrong, but with BMW Individual coming for model year 2015, you may be able to a la carte these items.

But BMW Individual comes with its own premium price tag typically.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW F1 has it correct.

I was basing the prices for those items on other vehicles in BMWs line up where they are available seperately.

I may have this wrong, but with BMW Individual coming for model year 2015, you may be able to a la carte these items.

I've never heard of BMW Individual. Could someone explain? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert
Quote:

Using the "Build Your Own" feature on the BWM website I don't see a way of separating these options, plus it allows me to order the Dakota Leather option without specifying the Premium Package. Am I missing something?
You can get leather without premium, but adding premium already includes leather. You're not paying for leather twice. If you checked leather on the interior screen, then select premium on the options screen, price only goes up by the 1300 or so (premium package minus leather stand alone price). Thus the other 3 options are costing you 1300.

I have seen comfort access as a $500 stand alone option and a $1000 option on different BMW models. So if you want CA and satellite, you're only paying a few hundred for the soft close doors. May be more than you wanted, but it's not a large amount.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHTLUG View Post
Great question! I've always wondered if Comfort Access was available as a single option. Is it possible?
It seems that building your own BMW in the US is very different from the UK. In the UK we have far fewer packages and many more individual options. When I specced my F15 I added Comfort Access as a standalone option. We get Dakota Leather as standard and only have 10 packages available, 4 of which are the Pure Excellence & Pure Experience packages.

In terms of optional equipment, there are 87 options listed individually enabling you to pick specific options without having to have too much extra stuff you don't want, but this flexibility probably costs us a fair bit extra.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Yes, the comfort access option costs $500 or $1,000 depending on the model.

This is because the 1/2/3 series or X1/X3 have comfort access on the front driver/front passenger doors only. In the 5/6/7 series and X5/X6 comfort access is located on all 4 doors.

As others have mentioned, BMW USA used to offer a lot of standalone options, but in the last few years they've started bundling these options together into packages. Personally I think BMW handles their packages better than Audi/Mercedes and the Japanese manufacturers where you often have to buy package 1 before you can get package 2 (BMW does this for some items too, but not as often).

The guys over in Europe have a lot more flexibility than we do here in the US, but they pay a lot more too so they deserve it!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW F1 has it correct.

Does anyone have any information on what BMW Individual is? Apparently it is coming on 2015 models. Would love to hear more!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
Does anyone have any information on what BMW Individual is? Apparently it is coming on 2015 models. Would love to hear more!
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...idual.html#t=l

That explains it pretty well - mostly just cosmetic differences - V-spoke wheels, special exterior and interior colors, BMW individual engravings in the seats, etc. much like M engravings.

Pictures of BMW Individual X5:

05-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #13
phantomac2
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 (KS81)

With BMW Individual you can get *anything* from BMW for your car. There are a few "standard" options for Individual colours, leathers, interior trims and wheels. But the Individual Manufaktur will cater to all your whishes if you're willing to pay for them.

Take a look here for some of the standard Individual options: http://www.bmw.de/de/topics/faszinat...ollektion.html

And here for the Individual Manufaktur: http://www.bmw.de/de/topics/faszinat...anufaktur.html
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomac2 View Post
With BMW Individual you can get *anything* from BMW for your car. There are a few "standard" options for Individual colours, leathers, interior trims and wheels. But the Individual Manufaktur will cater to all your whishes if you're willing to pay for them.

Take a look here for some of the standard Individual options: http://www.bmw.de/de/topics/faszinat...ollektion.html

And here for the Individual Manufaktur: http://www.bmw.de/de/topics/faszinat...anufaktur.html
Wow....(jaw drops)....I had no idea you could customize it to that level. EUROPEANS ARE SO LUCKY!!! No wonder it's so hard to get it in the states. I bet the delivery time would be insanely long, especially if people are waiting months for their standard U.S. deliveries.
      05-26-2014, 03:12 AM   #15
weesped
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

Question, when OP asked "keyless entry" isn't standard keyless? (as in remote)
Or are we equating buttonless entry and keyless push start as simply "keyless entry"?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #16
phantomac2
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 (KS81)

"Keyless entry" means you don't have to press a button on the key fob. You just have to grab the door handle with the key fob in your pocket and the car unlocks.

The Start/Stop-Engine button is standard as is the key fob.
Appreciate 0